Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TROY: A Total War Saga  (Read 27571 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: September 19, 2019, 01:59:32 PM
FAQ is here

I have mixed feelings about this one.  I love that they're covering the period, but talk about "gods and monsters", especially the inclusion of mythical creatures in the unit rosters, is a big turn-off for me. 

I've wish-listed the game for now, but I think Troy will be a wait-and-see decision. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:46:04 AM
It's a period i really like. If i can play Hector, then i will buy it.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:04:42 AM

I have mixed feelings about this one.  I love that they're covering the period, but talk about "gods and monsters", especially the inclusion of mythical creatures in the unit rosters, is a big turn-off for me. 

I've wish-listed the game for now, but I think Troy will be a wait-and-see decision.

but........... surely youve seen 300? you know, with the real monsters

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 11:24:22 AM
Now there is another movie that I have never seen.  :)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 03:25:51 PM
 ???

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:25 PM
Bob, you are hereby sentenced to go back home ON YOUR SHIELD not with it. And no shield-sledding down hill.  :nope:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 04:14:52 PM
No sliding on the shield?

.awww!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 10:49:18 PM
TOTAL TROYHAMMER!!  :D :D :D

I accept the mythological points. No doubt there will be mods, if not even an actual mode, more directly historical.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 05:12:06 AM
It's a period i really like. If i can play Hector, then i will buy it.

I think it's a safe bet that you'll be able to.  :)  And it's a period I'm interested in as well, so I know I'll end up getting the game regardless.  ::) 

Now there is another movie that I have never seen.  :)

I envy you.  I knew from the trailer it was going to be utter trash, but I was dragged to see it anyway.  Two hours of my life I'll never get back.  >:( 

TOTAL TROYHAMMER!!  :D :D :D

I accept the mythological points. No doubt there will be mods, if not even an actual mode, more directly historical.

I'm hoping so. 

Although I'll concede I've been somewhat mollified by one of the dev blogs, which specified that the "monster" units will really be more like berserker-style troops wearing various animal skins.  Still not ideal, but at least it's less ridiculous than what it initially sounded like they were planning. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 07:29:43 PM
A new trailer is up...along with an announcement that the game will be an Epic exclusive until August 2021.  :kling:   Guess I won't be getting this until next year. 

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 03:51:23 AM
I have plenty of games to play (among them Rome 2, Shogun 2 and Attila)....i can wait.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 06:42:41 PM
I can wait as well.  But I don't have to like it. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 04:10:40 AM
Holy crap.  CA/Sega has just released a ton of Troy-related news... 

Starting with the big one:  Troy is finally coming to Steam, with a release date of September 2. 

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-troy-steam-release-date-faq/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1099410/A_Total_War_Saga_TROY/

Also dropping on September 2 is a new Mythos DLC.  As the name indicates, Mythos ditches the historical aspects of the game, and instead fully embraces the fantastical elements of the ancient Greek world, adding beasts such as Cerberus and the Hydra. 

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-troy-mythos-release-date-faq/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1553061/A_Total_War_Saga_TROY__Mythos/

The bad news with all of this is that -- contrary to what CA had indicated a year ago -- anyone who owns the game on Epic will not be able to "transfer" their copy to Steam.  If you want to have Troy on Steam, you'll need to purchase it separately from your copy on the Epic store.  >:( 

As a sop to the players, CA is offering pre-order discounts (through their website) on three different editions: Standard Edition (the base game), Mythic Edition (base game + Mythos DLC), and Heroic Edition (base game, Mythos, Amazons, and Ajax & Diomedes DLC's). 

The good/interesting news is that Troy is getting a massive update that adds both full mythological *and* full historical campaign modes (ala Three Kingdoms), along with keeping the original "truth behind the myth" campaign mode.  This should address one of Troy's biggest criticisms, which is that it attempted -- unsuccessfully -- to cater to both historical and fantasy players. 

While I personally don't give two ***** about the mythological campaign mode (though I know many will be happy see it), I welcome the historical campaign.  It's precisely what I've wanted all along. 

(Now I just have to wait another year or three for the price to come down...) 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 08:04:57 AM
That year went by pretty quick! I pre-ordered the Big Kahuna edition last night (with all DLC) because I will never buy anything on Epic and I am a gaming strumpet. I love the idea of turning mythology on and off, and what better period to do it in than this one!

The Troy era has never interested me, to be honest, but the way CA appears to have put this game together has moistened the old loins.

Always do what you feel is best.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 08:51:58 AM
Old loins?
Do you have newer ones as well?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.