Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Why 1/48 and 1/35  (Read 5940 times)

judgedredd

on: May 10, 2022, 11:23:43 AM
Why do model companies make 1/48 scale aircraft but 1/35 scale armour?

I know you can get 1/48 armour - but the standard seems to be 1/35 where the standard for aircraft is 1/48

I wonder what the design decision around that was?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 11:49:23 AM
Maybe because 1/35 scale fits in more with mini's for gaming at 1/32 - 1/35 scale.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 12:36:26 PM
I don't have a good explanation, but since I'm American, I'm just going to blame the metric system and let everyone else over here nod along with me ;D

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 01:11:52 PM
I'm guessing it has to do with the level of detail. Planes, typically being larger than tanks, can show off about as much detail at 1/48 as a tank can at 1/32 would be my guess.

That and the metric system, of course.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 03:05:10 PM
I don't have a good explanation, but since I'm American, I'm just going to blame the metric system and let everyone else over here nod along with me ;D

:2thumbs:

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 06:30:05 AM
I'm guessing it has to do with the level of detail. Planes, typically being larger than tanks, can show off about as much detail at 1/48 as a tank can at 1/32 would be my guess.

I too suspect that this is the case. Probably also why there are lots of 1/72 scale planes but not much armor.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 06:39:33 AM
....yer all barmy. I still like my version the best........... ;D

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 02:45:35 AM
"I'm guessing it has to do with the level of detail. Planes, typically being larger than tanks, can show off about as much detail at 1/48 as a tank can at 1/32 would be my guess."

"I too suspect that this is the case. Probably also why there are lots of 1/72 scale planes but not much armor."

Hoi y`all, as being some prolific 'Model Kits Collector' for well over 50-years and across several 'Millennia' to date, I found that the smaller kinds were then LESS 'costly' overall, and also "took up" LESS 'space'. It began in the mid-1960s WHEN "Airfix" 'Kits' cost a whole whopping USD-$0.39-cents apiece, 'Paint' was USD $0.10-cents per 'bottle' and 'Glue/Cement' is USD $0.15-cents-a-tube! I'd usually 'construct' any within the day these were purchased, as they are expected with becoming 'utilized' the very next day! true story.  I shall admit to around 600? over such? for having "unbuilt models" with the majority consisting of "1:700th-720th"-'Capital Ships', "1:144th"-'Aircraft/Helicopters'/'Tanks', "1:72nd-76th"-Military Vehicles while occasionally 'delving' into "1:48th"-'Planes'-("W.W.I", some 'Tanks' primarily "Aurora"). The latest "1:35th"-'Vehicle' I'd garnered is this: It does lack "interior details" that even many smaller types will then have. An acquaintance of mine got primarily "Bandai"--"1:48th" and whenever I ran across them, I'd buy that with him in mind.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 06:37:56 AM
I never could figure out what the designer of the M577 was thinking. It may look cool but it has practically no ground clearance. It might kick ass on undamaged pavement but off road even a few big rocks or a small stream would cause it to get stuck.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 06:43:17 PM
I never could figure out what the designer of the M577 was thinking. It may look cool but it has practically no ground clearance. It might kick ass on undamaged pavement but off road even a few big rocks or a small stream would cause it to get stuck.
"Forget it 'Mate', it's "Hollywood"-nearby to 'Chinatown"-no doubt! DOWN on the 'Boulevard' where 'Life' is hard... 
THEY 'l@@k' at thus with such 'disregard'!

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 07:13:35 PM
Planes is probably due to size and accommodating people's shelf space. I think 1/48 Armor is relatively 'new' in scale modeling time, i.e. a lot of kits started coming out a couple decades ago (Tamiya), think it was because they figured modelers wanted to do diorama's mixing the two. When you were a kid and wanted to 'play' with your models 1/72 was the way to go!  :groovy:

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 07:59:30 PM
Planes is probably due to size and accommodating people's shelf space. I think 1/48 Armor is relatively 'new' in scale modeling time, i.e. a lot of kits started coming out a couple decades ago (Tamiya), think it was because they figured modelers wanted to do diorama's mixing the two. When you were a kid and wanted to 'play' with your models 1/72 was the way to go! :groovy:
No "LIE" `bout that! I used to begin a 'Model Kit' right after "School" with having this 'completed' that same night! The next day was when I'd "trot out" that-(usually either 'Plane or 'Tank/Vehicle')-while never having tried and used  'Airbrush' "trappings". Although I seem to recall an early 'Tamiya'-kit in "1:50th"-'scale'-(?) or plenty of "1:100th"-'scale' kind primarily consisting of 'Commercial Airplane'-kits by 'Heller'(?). Them "Bi-Planes" were an especially 'vexing'-sort, as the 'struts' took awhile to "set" in place and required constant 'vigilance' since these tended to "slant" everyways and kept at "it" before FINALLY 'hardening' of the 'Glue' and staying 'positioned'!