Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: One D&D  (Read 6114 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: August 19, 2022, 11:23:05 PM
 ::)

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 11:24:52 PM
yeah, people are already using OD&D as the abbreviation, never mind that's already "Old D&D" - ie, pre-AD&D

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 11:04:45 AM
::)

Is this the version where they are getting rid of race bonuses?

Because acknowledging that dwarves, elves, and gnomes are different creatures in a fantasy world will rid our world of racism...

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 06:26:01 PM
Is this the version where they are getting rid of race bonuses?

Because acknowledging that dwarves, elves, and gnomes are different creatures in a fantasy world will rid our world of racism...

Don't get me started!  :censored:

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 06:34:40 PM
 C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)

guys, dial it down a notch.

you can be upset about it, but let's not blame all the world's ills on a TTRPG, or delve into it's socio--political implications here

ktxbai!

C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)  C:-)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 07:17:13 PM

I literally said "don't get me started" because I know you don't want political discussion here.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 08:08:26 PM

I literally said "don't get me started" because I know you don't want political discussion here.

It was less aimed at you specifically, than making sure anyone else jumping into the thread was forewarned not to go there.   :cowboy:

I absolutely appreciate your restraint and consideration, and I thank you for it.  :bigthumb:

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 10:37:36 PM
Wait, DM's aren't "allowed" to roll critical hits anymore??  That's gotta be some of the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard.  :2funny: 

yeah, people are already using OD&D as the abbreviation, never mind that's already "Old D&D" - ie, pre-AD&D

First time I've ever heard of that.  I've only ever heard folks refer to it as 1st Edition, or occasionally D&D "Original". 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 01:02:16 AM
There are many reasons I still play 1e at my table. Mostly because I accepted the simple truth. A base set of rules that you understand can be easily house ruled to fix or change any play mechanism you do not like or enjoy. It has the added bonus of staying out of the melodrama of social media and new edition wars.

Double Deuce

• Jr. Trooper
    • Combat Campaigns
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 10:04:30 AM
Never been a fan of 5e and I stopped playing D&D (1e) back in about '83. Switched to running a hybrid Runequest/Rolemaster/HarnMaster homebrew game. Honestly. don't think I ever player of game of 2e AD&D, 3, 3.5 or 4. The main reason I came back to 5e was, easier to find players and the robustness of Fantasy Grounds' 5e automation. Seeing the new OSE kickstarter got me back into wanting to play older versions BUT re-reading through all my 1e stuff I decided I'm too old to relearn that all over again and be able to run games. I started my D&D with the original boxed set and figure I'll give OSE a shot. It seems pretty well written with a clean layout in the books. Plus, there is already an OSE ruleset for Fantasy Grounds.     8)

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 10:15:40 AM
the first 15 years of Dragon Magazine were essentially everyone's house rules for 1e :)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 08:28:48 PM
the first 15 years of Dragon Magazine were essentially everyone's house rules for 1e :)

Word! Of course, we never had a lot of magazines growing up. The closest bookstore that sold them was a couple of hundred miles away. But the ones we did have I read repeatedly and we often used the articles or sage advice in our games...if we thought the rule change would give our characters an advantage. :)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 08:39:15 PM
Never been a fan of 5e and I stopped playing D&D (1e) back in about '83. Switched to running a hybrid Runequest/Rolemaster/HarnMaster homebrew game. Honestly. don't think I ever player of game of 2e AD&D, 3, 3.5 or 4. The main reason I came back to 5e was, easier to find players and the robustness of Fantasy Grounds' 5e automation. Seeing the new OSE kickstarter got me back into wanting to play older versions BUT re-reading through all my 1e stuff I decided I'm too old to relearn that all over again and be able to run games. I started my D&D with the original boxed set and figure I'll give OSE a shot. It seems pretty well written with a clean layout in the books. Plus, there is already an OSE ruleset for Fantasy Grounds.     8)

There is a full-blown 2e AD&D ruleset on fantasy grounds. I have been considering purchasing the core three to run a VTT game. I honestly think 2e is a very clearly written ruleset. Of course, you do not have the wonderful Gygax prose to conflate concepts and mechanics. We played 5e briefly at the house when it first came out. While I liked it significantly better than 3e or Pathfinder, I found it to be a bit bland and the characters really had no limitations. Anyone could be anything without any drawbacks. While I can understand why some like this freedom of choice, I think it removed the danger and sense of dread about what lurked around the corner. Anyway, there are many editions and versions of official D&D to choose from, and with POD and PDF files any of them are playable.

I did look at OSE but honestly, I just felt like if I wanted to play B/X D&D I have the book and Rules Compendium or if I want to play AD&D I have both 1e and 2e. So it did not hold me in that regard. I played Castles and Crusaders and Basic Fantasy RPG for a while and really liked both sets of rules and would recommend them to anyone. But for me, I just like my comfort RPG of choice, and like you do not want to learn new rules.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 09:02:30 PM
Man, this is just...bad....

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 09:44:22 PM
Man, this is just...bad....

They did it wrong.

When the flames appeared, the narrator/DM should have simply said: "Roll for initiative."