Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnLP World at War Series reboot  (Read 171903 times)

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #420 on: January 26, 2020, 08:28:59 PM
Wow.  Lots of typos on the player aids and in the rule book.  Some omissions, lack of clarity, and contradictory rules in there as well.  Could've done with some proof reading and some examples of combat IMO.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #421 on: January 26, 2020, 08:31:07 PM
Wow.  Lots of typos on the player aids and in the rule book.  Some omissions, lack of clarity, and contradictory rules in there as well.  Could've done with some proof reading and some examples of combat IMO.

Sounds a lot like the original.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #422 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:11 PM

Haven't seen any contradictions, at least I don't think so, but there are a few glaring errors and unclear/missing things. Some of it's just hard to find even with the huge index... which could have been larger still...

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #423 on: January 26, 2020, 09:12:58 PM
That was a frustrating part of the original game. It's not a complex rule set, but it could be unclear and difficult to find things.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #424 on: January 26, 2020, 09:18:49 PM
Even the scenario I'm doing in the AAR, I've found 3 errors just in the setup instructions.

Overall though, I think it plays close enough to the original that if you've figured that out you can play this version. It is more streamlined. But HQs are still a little funky when you start a scenario... at least I think I have it right...

And it's fun and so far gives some sense for the weapon systems and difference between the combatants.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #425 on: January 26, 2020, 09:26:04 PM
I'm still not clear on the defensive bonus from terrain.  Does it apply to armoured units or not?  Section 10.4 seems to say that it doesn't but later on, it mentions armoured vehicles getting the extra defence dice.  If they do get the dice, do they still roll against their armour value or is it only 5-6 like soft targets?

Concealment says it offers a +1 bonus.  Does that mean units get +1 to their defensive die rolls or do they get an extra 1d6?

Transport rules 9.8.1 have a contradiction in the first two paragraphs.  The first paragraph says that if the transport and the passenger unit start in the same hex, the passengers can load and the transport can move 1/2 its MP.  The next paragraph says that a transport is marked Ops Complete the moment a passenger boards it.  I'm assuming that this refers to towed units only but it's not as clear as it could be.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #426 on: January 26, 2020, 09:26:53 PM
To be clear, whatever issues the original game had I stilled enjoyed it a great deal. I was hoping they had worked most of the bugs out in this one, but I'll be happy with improved counters as a start.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #427 on: January 26, 2020, 09:40:37 PM
I'm still not clear on the defensive bonus from terrain.  Does it apply to armoured units or not?  Section 10.4 seems to say that it doesn't but later on, it mentions armoured vehicles getting the extra defence dice.  If they do get the dice, do they still roll against their armour value or is it only 5-6 like soft targets?

Concealment says it offers a +1 bonus.  Does that mean units get +1 to their defensive die rolls or do they get an extra 1d6?

Transport rules 9.8.1 have a contradiction in the first two paragraphs.  The first paragraph says that if the transport and the passenger unit start in the same hex, the passengers can load and the transport can move 1/2 its MP.  The next paragraph says that a transport is marked Ops Complete the moment a passenger boards it.  I'm assuming that this refers to towed units only but it's not as clear as it could be.

Just re-read 10.4 and I can now see how you might think that. My first run through, I read it as for sure that ALL units got to add terrain defensive bonuses... but it could be read the other way I guess.

Concealment  - I read it as +1d6 because you need to be in terrain with a Defensive Bonus, which when you look at the TEC, there's a column that's called Defence Bonus and they are all +1d6.
My question for concealment is do you get when being shot at from a lower elevation even in you're in open terrain on a hill...?

Yeah that last statement in the second paragraph of 9.8.1 is just wrong. I think it was only meant to be at the end of the third paragraph.

judgedredd

Reply #428 on: January 27, 2020, 05:42:35 AM
I don't even know if I've paid for this....have I paid for this? i.e. has the Kickstarter cash been collected?

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #429 on: January 27, 2020, 06:18:51 AM
Yikes, I was hoping there would be a good tutorial or detailed example of play for this.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #430 on: January 27, 2020, 06:22:06 AM
I don't even know if I've paid for this....have I paid for this? i.e. has the Kickstarter cash been collected?

Yes... long ago....

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #431 on: January 27, 2020, 06:24:03 AM
Yikes, I was hoping there would be a good tutorial or detailed example of play for this.

There are some good videos out there.
This series does a pretty good job of explaining the basics of the game.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #432 on: January 27, 2020, 06:31:21 AM
Thanks, that's good to know.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #433 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:14 AM
And despite all our bitching , it’s a pretty simple game to play. So it really doesn’t take that much to learn and figure out. Questions are being answered fairly quickly on LnLP forum, BGG, and the WaW85 FB page.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #434 on: January 27, 2020, 03:53:04 PM
Mines at the house. I won't be there until Thursday

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.