Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnLP World at War Series reboot  (Read 171981 times)

judgedredd

Reply #570 on: April 25, 2020, 02:54:37 PM
Then again...Russian T80 just rolled 5*5 and speed it an M1A1 which rolled 4*1 and 1*2 and the HQ stacked with it

judgedredd

Reply #571 on: April 25, 2020, 03:12:14 PM
There is one thing I noticed about the Solo Assistant right away.

The Solo Assistant suggests you pull one card for each unit or one card for the whole formation (recommended) and all of the formation abide by the order set.

I pulled a Defence card for NATO and there was a T80 in range of the M1A1 so the order was FIRE. However, the other two units in my formation were not in range and so had to sit it out. What I really wanted to do was to re-deploy my infantry and also Move & Fire with my other M1A1.

I'm not really a fan of that...I'll play along for this outing and see how it pans out. I can see the reasoning...HQ's giving the orders as opposed to units acting independently - but it does mean you could have (as I did) 2/3rds of your formation doing nothing (though they would obviously be available for Op Fire)

We'll see
Actually - I think it just means use the same card for the formation - not use the same order when it says
Choose one orders card for the formation and evaluate each unit/stack in the formation versus the same Orders card (recommended)

So it's cool - take each unit/stack and evaluate it's situation against the orders on the card. Makes total sense now DUH!

judgedredd

Reply #572 on: April 25, 2020, 05:34:52 PM
It takes a fair amount of table space and yes - I do need all those reference cards!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #573 on: April 25, 2020, 06:23:44 PM
Impressive! Wish I was sitting there to play. Put the kettle on, JD  ;)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #574 on: April 25, 2020, 08:31:52 PM
I started the first scenario today and I just wanted to throw a few checks in early on...see if I'm missing anything

I'm playing the solo assistant for BOTH sides - just to see how it pans out. I've got the cards set into 3 stacks...the base cards in the middle, the defensive cards to the left and the attacker cards to the right. Who ever is the side to go, I roll 1 d10 and on a 2 or less, they choose the specific card (defence or offence) and 3 and above they choose the generic card.

1. Soviets came on and moved 6 spaces...I Op Fire them when they get within range (6th space). I rolled 4 dice for M1A1 in woods looking for a To Hit of 5 or better correct?
2. Soviets rolled 4 dice looking for a Armour Save of 5 or better (no terrain bonus) correct?
3a. Next Soviets come on and move 3 spaces. Two T-80s open up on the M1A1 in woods. They roll 4 dice (3 inherently for a T-80 +1 for the second T-80 for volley fire) looking for a To hit of 4 or better correct?
3b. What's the point of volley fire? They only get one dice meaning 4 instead of 3 - but if they were to roll separately, they'd get 6 (2x3)?
5. The M1A1 rolls 5 dice for Armour Saves (4 inherently +1 for woods) correct?

Some observations...
This really isn't as deadly as I thought it would be. You'd be surprised rolling 4 To Hit die how many dice and how many times the roll is under the To Hit value of 5.
Why does the T-80 have a better To Hit number (4 to the M1A1's 5)...is it's targeting really better?

I haven't even played the first turn yet - that was just the opening impulse where the Soviets had the initiative.

Anyway - back to the game.....I'll let you know how playing the Solo Assistant for both sides goes.

So only a 1 or 2 on a D10 they do what they are supposed to be doing ie attacking or defending? Seems kinda low odds for that.

1. M1-Abrams, not M1A1s, but correct.
2. Correct.
3a. You can't use volley fire with Move and Fire. Otherwise yer math is correct.
3b. Volley fire: for example  2 x T-80 platoons vs 1 M1. You get to attack with 4 x d10 looking for 4 or better vs 4 x d10 looing for 5. If you attack separately you get 3 x d10 looking 4> vs 4 d10 looking for 5> and then another 3 x d10 looking 4> vs 4 d10 looking for 5>. So effectively when attacking singly you are 6 d10 looking for 4> vs 8 d10 looking for 5>.
It's better odds of getting more hits, which also is really important if the defender is in an improved position where the 1st hit is absorbed by the IP.
4. What happened to 4?
5. Correct.

Remember that these are M1s not M1A1s. The M1 only has a 105mm gun. The T-80 is sporting a 120mm gun. So it's not just To Hit but Killing Power in the rolls.
Put an HQ on a pair of T-80 and volley fire. Lots of things will go BOOM very fast!

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #575 on: April 26, 2020, 01:20:01 AM
Thanks Barth

Regarding the low odds doing what they were meant to...normally there's 12 defence/offence cards mixed in with 30 base cards. So the chances of pulling the "optimal" card is 1 in 2.5. With a 1-2 being used on a D6, the chances of pulling the appropriate card is 1 in 3. That's how I figured it.

Looks like I should've looked at the rather extensive units cards that came with the game which would've told me it was an M1 and not an M1A1 (why is the T80 missing from those cards?). Actually looking through those unit cards, I seem to be missing a few. I'm not sure what ones I should have, but there are NO Russian unit cards marked with Storming The Gap. The only Russian unit cards I have are stamped Defence of Frankfurt. Nevermind - I found them buried under the massive amount of goods you get with this game!

Thanks for explaining Volley Fire. I suppose there is a slight benefit...but a benefit none the less.

I don't know what happened to 4  :nerd:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:48:10 AM by judgedredd »

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #576 on: April 26, 2020, 07:33:37 AM
You don’t have to look at the units card for the M-1, it’s marked right on the counter as M-1Abrams.

judgedredd

Reply #577 on: April 26, 2020, 09:15:55 AM
You don’t have to look at the units card for the M-1, it’s marked right on the counter as M-1Abrams.
Oh aye 😁

judgedredd

Reply #578 on: April 26, 2020, 09:18:11 AM
Impressive! Wish I was sitting there to play. Put the kettle on, JD  ;)
If only. Solitaire is cool...I like my own company. But I sometimes wish I was playing with a pal.

None of my kids are remotely into it and neither is my wife.

judgedredd

Reply #579 on: April 26, 2020, 01:09:33 PM
Ok. Russians won the first outing. Easily. They had 9 T80s to the US 2 M1s and an infantry unit with a TOW ATGM and an M113 which isn't really helpful at all except as transport.

I don't think the US had a chance in this scenario. Has anyone who played this won at the US? If so, how?

Also I gave up playing the Solo Assistant part way through. It just wasn't much fun tbh. It was just an experiment to see how they'd play it together anyway. It seemed like it might work...if you don't mind making any decisions at all...not even when up Op Fire

I'm now going to give the scenario another go to solidify the rules and evaluate the Solo Assistant properly as the Soviets

judgedredd

Reply #580 on: April 26, 2020, 02:42:04 PM
Oh - and how is this for an attack (red - needing 4 or above) and defence (white - needing 5 or above)!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #581 on: April 26, 2020, 03:29:01 PM
oy!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #582 on: April 27, 2020, 06:48:35 AM
Oh - and how is this for an attack (red - needing 4 or above) and defence (white - needing 5 or above)!

Yep, had a few of those myself.  :tickedoff: :D

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #583 on: April 27, 2020, 08:22:23 AM
Play it in Vassal. You'll never see that.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #584 on: April 27, 2020, 09:15:17 AM
Play it in Vassal. You'll never see that.  :whistle:

When are we having a game?
 :D