Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnLP World at War Series reboot  (Read 183911 times)

judgedredd

Reply #585 on: April 27, 2020, 04:56:47 PM
Impressive! Wish I was sitting there to play. Put the kettle on, JD  ;)
Bob - if you fancy a vassal game, let me know and we can arrange a time at the weekend. I will warn you, because my memory is bad, I'm often referring to the rules - but they're very well laid out and it doesn't take long to look something up.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #586 on: April 27, 2020, 05:02:03 PM
 :bigthumb:

I used to play the original version, but got a bit disillusioned with the 'old' LnL way of doing things (its a long story). I don't know if the rules have changed much since then.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #587 on: April 28, 2020, 02:01:14 AM
If you let me know what rules or procedures got yer back up I can try and let you know whether they've changed or not.

I would say this isn't necessarily my favourite scale. Having a platoon of of M1s or T80s taken out in one attack can make for a short game and can be brutal.

I would prefer a game like MBT (which I had back in the early 90's but never played) - but I've not had the courage to buy it with my memory of the rule book and tables being "WTF!!".
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:23:05 AM by judgedredd »

judgedredd

Reply #588 on: April 28, 2020, 07:31:00 AM
To anyone who has played this with at Solo Assistant

Where the order priority is specified in the manual (for example Priority-RED) it says
An AEO unit(s) within Point Blank range of a PL unit of any type will attempt to perform these orders first

It then goes on to say
The AEO unit must legally be able to perform the action

My question is regarding the legally bit. Does it require LOS? The manual says the 3 prerequisites for combat are appropriate weapon FP,  LoS and range.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #589 on: April 28, 2020, 09:12:35 AM
Yes, if it can't see it then it can't shoot at it.  ???

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #590 on: April 28, 2020, 09:15:09 AM

I used to play the original version, but got a bit disillusioned with the 'old' LnL way of doing things (its a long story). I don't know if the rules have changed much since then.

Bob, the rules are free to download to read:
https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/world-at-war-85-core-rules-pdf-edition.283/
Even epub for yer Kindle:
https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/world-at-war-85-core-rules-epub-edition.307/

And a changes doc:
https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/waw85-new-features-changes-from-1st-edition-to-2nd-edition.284/

judgedredd

Reply #591 on: April 28, 2020, 10:26:06 AM
Yes, if it can't see it then it can't shoot at it.  ???
My example was a bit poor - though I know you're answer is the same...

The reason for my confusion was because I had a T80 behind a hill. It was actually the Yellow Order - so for Effective Range - and the first part of the order was FIRE - which it couldn't do because there were no US units in LoS. However the next order was a Move and Fire and had I moved, I would've been able to fire. So I thought I should play that - then I was thinking "But he doesn't know the US are there...."

There are also other examples (that make you think LoS doesn't matter), particularly in the Secondary order group - something like Move Towards Closest PU. This is also the case on the Counter Actions sheet.

I guess I'm asking for confirmation that LoS matters in ALL these orders or whether LoS is only taken into account when being told to fire or move and fire.

Here's an example of a Counter Action
AEO closest to PU thats Fired - Fire or Move towards
- is LoS required here or just simply as said - closest PU that Fired?

I think it's hard for me sometimes to translate the orders of the Solo Assistant because I'm not sure if LoS is a prerequisite. If LoS is required for all Solo Assistant orders and Counter Actions when a Player Unit is specified, then I'm good and that's all the clarification I need.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #592 on: April 28, 2020, 10:37:02 AM
Ah, got you.

When it says move to closest PU, then choose the closest, even out of LoS.

But you need LoS to fire.

So, Move and Fire, move to get in LoS then fire if you made LoS.

Just as how a human would do it.

judgedredd

Reply #593 on: April 28, 2020, 10:38:51 AM
Thank you

judgedredd

Reply #594 on: May 02, 2020, 09:24:46 AM
I had an odd one today.

Scenario 1
The Red Priority order was Assault if AEO FP > PU

The US unit in range was an Infantry unit with ATGM and an M113 on a hill, in woods in Improved Position.

The Russian units (HQ, 2xT80) were 3 hexes away. Ideally, they would've fired. HQ bonus plus Volley fire would've given the Russians T-80 = 3 + Volley = 4 + HQ bonus = 6 dice.

Also - they would be Op-Fired on whilst closing...anyway - the order is the order - after all, there are bad commanders, right?

I closed. Sure enough the US opened up with their ATGM. 1 T-80 disrupted. Missile check is good...so no check for reload. Onwards. Next hex they are attacked by a reduced M1...miss.

Into the pit they go.

The M113 doesn't get to assault (no AP FP). The Infantry do and score 1 hit so the T80 is disrupted. There are no save rolls in assault - as the manual puts it - it's a knife fight. Then the T80 attacks (the assigning of damage doesn't happen until all combat is done between two units). Hit on the infantry...Disrupted.

So - the result was both sides have 1 disrupted unit. As the Soviets didn't score more hits than the US, the Soviets have to retreat to another hex.

However - after all that........was I able to use the ATGM in assault? The reason I thought I may be able to was because the infantry do not have a black triangle (meaning their ATGM does not have a minimum range at which it can be used...however, I didn't because it doesn't have assault values (bottom right of the counters).

Was I right not to use the ATGM?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #595 on: May 02, 2020, 10:15:12 AM
Yes. The only that counts in Assaults in the Assault value.

judgedredd

Reply #596 on: May 02, 2020, 11:14:06 AM

I'm going to progress of Scenario 1 after this. It's short and sweet and allows you to learn the basics...but it's small.

judgedredd

Reply #597 on: May 13, 2020, 04:32:17 PM
I can't remember if I posted in here about it, but the extra money I paid for the ring bound manual was well worth the price. The manual is great and it is a god send being able to flip through, open, fold open...just such a cool piece of kit.

I'm really glad I went back and added it to my kickstarter order.

judgedredd

Reply #598 on: May 13, 2020, 04:50:44 PM
Also - this guy has done some videos on the Campaign Drive on Giessen - and he really makes the rules seem simple. I mean, they kind of are - but I constantly have to/want to look up the rules to double check...he just lays it out, plays it and makes it look proper simple

judgedredd

Reply #599 on: May 15, 2020, 06:14:42 PM
I'm going to have to watch a few videos on the Solo pack. I'm not really feeling it.

I don't know how different this solo pack is to the LnL Tactical solo pack, but I got on with the latter far more than I'm getting on with the former