Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnLP World at War Series reboot  (Read 184307 times)

judgedredd

Reply #600 on: May 18, 2020, 06:13:25 AM
Watched a video...didn't help much at all even though it was over 40 minutes. Basically it reiterated what was in the Solo Assistant manual with some additional flim flam.

I've re-read the Solo Assistant example of play and I know what to do - it's just awkward.

The Solo Assistant manual says you pick a unit, then a card (Page 21 - the writer selects the M113 then plays a card) and deal with the order.

Regarding the cards - where you may think you pick a unit, then a card then play one of the options, you'd apparently be mistaken - sometimes.

When you take a card, the Priority orders are for the unit you selected and as long as the parameters are right (LoS, range, correct weapon type). However the confusion occurs (at least for me) when you get to the Secondary orders.

These state things like AEO in 0 DB hex closest to a unit or VO and AEO closest to a unit. So my confusion comes from the fact that you select a unit, go through the priority orders and if none of them are relevant and none of the secondary orders are relevant, you scan your formation for a unit that does fit the bill.

But fit the bill for what? The Priority orders? The Secondary orders? I guess so.

BU that's my confusion...selecting a unit then playing the card, checking the orders against the unit and then checking other units in your formation...but then you'd do that anyway because - the card is used for the whole formation.

It does specify in the Solo Assistant rules (page 14 bottom of section 6.4.2) that if you get to the bottom of the card and the unit cannot perform an action, it does nothing.

I think I may have cleared my confusion by laying it out here...thanks for wasting your time  :ROFL:

judgedredd

Reply #601 on: May 18, 2020, 12:49:16 PM
I'm now a bit confused about helicopters. The rules have several sections taking about NOE helicopters and city hexes, but the terrain effects chart days NOE helicopters are prohibited   :waiting:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #602 on: May 18, 2020, 01:24:21 PM
I should think that flying NOE in a city is a bit dodgy

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #603 on: May 18, 2020, 01:31:45 PM
I should think that flying NOE in a city is a bit dodgy
They done it in Die Hard  :rockon:

But I agree. TEC says no, but manual has several examples whilst talking about unit height and terrain.

I think I'll er on the side of caution and NoE is no go over cities - there. Confusion over.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #604 on: May 18, 2020, 01:35:48 PM
 :bigthumb:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #605 on: May 18, 2020, 04:50:57 PM
I'm now a bit confused about helicopters. The rules have several sections taking about NOE helicopters and city hexes, but the terrain effects chart days NOE helicopters are prohibited   :waiting:

This was just covered in a FB chat. The rules are correct. The TEC is wrong. NOE helos spend 1 MP to enter, woods too.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #606 on: May 18, 2020, 05:43:11 PM
Oh! I am surprised.

Oh well...better re-read the rules on helicopters  :hehe:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #607 on: May 18, 2020, 06:29:45 PM
Helos at NOE in cities or woods do not get the TEC for hex though. They assumed to be just above the terrain.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #608 on: May 18, 2020, 06:34:01 PM
I suppose you could argue that if they are flying above the trees / buildings, then they are not flying NOE?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #609 on: May 18, 2020, 06:42:52 PM
Well, NOE is flying just above the terrain... no matter what it is... if it’s grass or wheat or trees, or buildings.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #610 on: May 18, 2020, 10:28:16 PM

They done it with Harriers in True Lies.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #611 on: May 19, 2020, 12:59:01 AM
Well, NOE is flying just above the terrain... no matter what it is... if it%u2019s grass or wheat or trees, or buildings.
I was just about to agree but thought I'd check and actually wiki defines NoE as

Nap-of-the-earth (abbreviated NOE) is a type of very low-altitude flight course used by military aircraft to avoid enemy detection and attack in a high-threat environment. During NOE flight, geographical features are used as cover, exploiting valleys and folds in the terrain by flying in, rather than over, them

Point still stands though...Cities could be flown through

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #612 on: May 19, 2020, 06:27:58 AM

They done it with Harriers in True Lies.

I loved that film - daft as it was.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #613 on: May 19, 2020, 06:53:28 AM
Well, NOE is flying just above the terrain... no matter what it is... if it%u2019s grass or wheat or trees, or buildings.
I was just about to agree but thought I'd check and actually wiki defines NoE as

Nap-of-the-earth (abbreviated NOE) is a type of very low-altitude flight course used by military aircraft to avoid enemy detection and attack in a high-threat environment. During NOE flight, geographical features are used as cover, exploiting valleys and folds in the terrain by flying in, rather than over, them

Point still stands though...Cities could be flown through

Changed the bolding to make my point. Says nothing about trees and cities.
But still, if you choose to fly over a city or woods hex instead of going around you make your helos more vulnerable to AA, so it's still a choice.

judgedredd

Reply #614 on: May 19, 2020, 07:27:02 AM
lol - yeah - I'll fly around  :bigthumb: