Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Saturday Night Fights -- "Tiefendorf's Freising Freeze-Out" -- Sharp Practice 2  (Read 6890 times)

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
From the description:

Freising is now, more or less, home to the Munich airport. In April of 1809, however, it is said the sleepy hamlet housed a company of Bavarians of Marshal Lefebvre's VII Corps who, almost by accident, found themselves in possession of Austrian marching orders. Can valiant Hauptmann Gerhard Tiefendorf's command and specially-detailed men from the 9th Hussars snatch back these plans for the benefit of the already-discombobulated servants of the Austrian Empire, or are they destined to fall into the hands of the perfidious French?

Tech willing, we'll find out on Saturday evening! And we may even get the livestream up in the bargain under the title: "Tiefendorf;s Freising Freeze-out".

This is the second of what I hope will eventually a series of six adventures for Tiefendorf based on the 1809 campaign.

Who's playing or would like to learn?

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
In!  :biggrin:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Unknown!  :biggrin:

But I've been wanting to see what a campaign looks like in this system.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Cannot make it tonight. Daughter prom.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Dad and I are off to see Endgame tomorrow afternoon, so we'll probably be watching IWar again tonight in order to refresh for the conclusion.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Loved it again.

Vance had a cannon.  Admittedly one I knew he had because I designed the damned scenario.

The cannon (which should have deployed unloaded) shot my face off twice.  My hussars had a particularly bad time of it.

I now have learned:

1:  There's a FAQ/Errata set for SP2.  I really, really wish I had known about this earlier.
2:  When a group is forced to withdraw 1 or 2 inches, the rest of the formation may withdraw with it to hold formation.  If it is forced to withdraw 3'' or more, the formation breaks.  This is in the errata so I don't feel quite so badly screwing this up.
3.  If a commander directs the fire of formation, he may direct it only to a group (if alone) or another formation.  He may not select a group within a formation.
4.  If one group is in front of another, the rear group is hit by fire and must share a portion of the hits if it is within 4''.
5,  When attempting to get control of a unit firing uncontrolled volleys, you must state your intention for them, e.g., "move", and then roll for control.  If you fail to gain control, that activation is lost and cannot be retried with a subsequent activation.
6.  Shock and kills are apportioned to groups and then results are determined.  I like the way I think this will work.
7.  If a group is pushed back and this causes its formation to break, this is two "Bad Things".

O.K., back to the design table.

My Austrians will have Vance yet.

Maybe I make him fight in the Peninsula.

Also, Pratt keeps mentioning a campaign...

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Agreed, it is a great system and is great fun o play.

Yeah, having the cannon arrive loaded might not have changed much because they did arrive behind all my other troops so in fact did have some time to load.... but it is important.

2. Interesting...
3. Helpful.
4. Makes sense.
5. This will make some difference.
6. I thought that’s what we were doing already...? What’s different?
7. Yikes.

My Bavarians welcome the visiting Austrians with open cannon muzzles anytime.  :biggrin:

But I’m out for the next two Saturdays with travel and such.  :(

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JasonPratt

• Lancer
2. Interesting and possibly helpful for Funn. (Although one of his groups already routed off the board before my internet collapsed, the last time we played.)

3. I think we were already playing this way? I don't recall you or I ever attempting to attack a group within a formation.

4. Okay, the key stat here is 4". Although what happens when the rear group in the 'bowling lane' of fire is back beyond a range line? (e.g. forward group is technically close range, but rear group is long range?)

4.2. Did you ever find out more about the danger of shooting into the backs of your own guys ahead of you?

5. ...but they're still firing uncontrolled, right? That has to be processed somehow? (I'm not sure how this is different from what we were playing.)

6. As with Barth, I thought we were doing this already? How is this different from the 'hits' being spread out as evenly as possible through the groups of a formation, and then rolling for results of the hits?

7. Makes sense. Though I did seem to think we had done this (the compounded two Bad Thing rolls to morale) with Funn at least once already.

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler

6. I thought that’s what we were doing already...? What’s different?
7. Yikes.

My Bavarians welcome the visiting Austrians with open cannon muzzles anytime.  :biggrin:

But I’m out for the next two Saturdays with travel and such.  :(

1:  I think we started too, but it's now clear that you walk down the entire line and THEN start to march guys backwards.   I think the aggregate affect will be a lot more withdrawing than we've seen and that's as intended.

2:  Boo.

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
2. Interesting and possibly helpful for Funn. (Although one of his groups already routed off the board before my internet collapsed, the last time we played.)
3. I think we were already playing this way? I don't recall you or I ever attempting to attack a group within a formation.
4. Okay, the key stat here is 4". Although what happens when the rear group in the 'bowling lane' of fire is back beyond a range line? (e.g. forward group is technically close range, but rear group is long range?)
4.2. Did you ever find out more about the danger of shooting into the backs of your own guys ahead of you?
5. ...but they're still firing uncontrolled, right? That has to be processed somehow? (I'm not sure how this is different from what we were playing.)
6. As with Barth, I thought we were doing this already? How is this different from the 'hits' being spread out as evenly as possible through the groups of a formation, and then rolling for results of the hits?
7. Makes sense. Though I did seem to think we had done this (the compounded two Bad Thing rolls to morale) with Funn at least once already.

2: Tie this to #6 and I could definitely see a unit drifting (withdrawing) off the field rather than routing group-by-group.
3.  Became a much bigger deal when we realized the whole "controlled volley" thing was a really big deal and that, absent the direction of a leader, you're kitting everybody in the "bowling alley".  Everybody.
4.  Those within 4'' and at a different range get one extra layer of cover when rolling for hits.
5.  Yep, they can and will fire.  However, now the commander has one less action to use on, say, removing shock or doing anything else.
7.  As we'll now be doing this after all hits on the formation are resolved, I just think this will be clearer.  I don't know as we ever did it incorrectly, just reassuring to know we occasionally do it right!

So, I'm re-doing Capt. Funn's Whimsey with a new mat, new figs, &c.  Shall we start over?

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Hell no! -- I want to finish out the fight we were in! (New figures and mats will be acceptable, tho.  :biggrin: )

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Cyrano, you hosting a game tonight.  If so, I'm in.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
AWESOME.

Yes, there will be a game!

JasonPratt

• Lancer
When I got home from work Friday afternoon, I discovered that the internet had kind of died again near my house. What was weirder this time was that other things in my house could get the internet on wi-fi, and AT&T could trace a clear signal to the wi-fi, so it seemed like the problem was with my black monolith computer! -- although when dad checked a scanning site he reported only 28% stability on the signal coming in (and going out).

On the theory that I might have some kind of virus pretending the internet was kaput when (based on my check of the software) it was actually sending and receiving material, I took a nap and (more importantly ;) ) ran a boot-time scan. When I got up Saturday afternoon, I could access the internet again although connections remained spotty and indeed we lost phone service a couple of times that night which indicated the problem wasn't with me at all after all...  ::)

Stability is back today. But I'm getting super-annoyed at our local internet stability tanking on Friday and Saturday lately...  :tickedoff:

(I am provisionally supposing this has something to do with the fiber-optic upgrades still going on around town.)