Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Master of Magic remake  (Read 25775 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #30 on: December 18, 2021, 07:18:22 AM
I'm certainly keeping tabs on this one.  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #31 on: December 18, 2021, 10:17:05 AM
I already know I'm gonna buy the damn game. No reason for me to be in denial   :bigthumb:

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #32 on: December 18, 2021, 02:23:12 PM
Same.  This one is second only to DW2 on my "most wanted" list.  :) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 01:32:20 AM
Catching up a little, last month's dev diary gives a glimpse into both diplomacy and combat: 

http://muhagames.com/master-of-magic-dev-diary-7-january-2022/

It sounds as if fundamentally, there won't be a huge amount of structural change in how diplomacy works as compared to the original MOM.  However, Muha appears to be banking on their AI -- including the six "personality" types from the original game -- making it a more involved & immersive experience. 

In addition, they're expanding trade options to include mana, gold, and artifacts (whereas you could only trade spells before).  If the AI has "need" of something in your inventory, it may initiate a trade offer, including bidding a bit more for said item than it might otherwise be worth. 

This month's dev diary looks at another meaty subject -- the aforementioned magic in Master of Magic (specifically, spells): 

http://muhagames.com/master-of-magic-dev-diary-8-february-2022/

The devs talk a bit about how the spells are organized, and take a more specific look at two of the "realms" of magic -- Sorcery and Life.  Spells from both realms are extremely useful and/or powerful, though obviously in different ways.  Can't wait to see them in action! 

Finally, a bunch of screenshots for your viewing pleasure (I really am digging the art design and overall aesthetic they've come up with): 

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #34 on: February 25, 2022, 01:09:51 PM
So how does Worlds of Magic by Wasteland Interactive fit in here? I thought they had been doing a spiritual reimagining (or whatever) of MoM too?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #35 on: February 26, 2022, 04:01:27 AM
So how does Worlds of Magic by Wasteland Interactive fit in here? I thought they had been doing a spiritual reimagining (or whatever) of MoM too?

The short version is that it *doesn't* fit in, per se.  Worlds of Magic/Planar Conquest was its own game, though MoM was indeed its primary inspiration. 

I'm still really bummed by how that one turned out, especially as a Kickstarter backer for the original project.  WoM/PL wasn't totally terrible, but it definitely fell far short of what Wasteland Interactive (and we backers) hoped would be achieved.  The game was very much a case of the developers' reach exceeding their grasp, and a lot of unrealized potential. 

Just a few short years later, Slitherine acquired the rights to the Master of Magic franchise.  The rest, of course, is history. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 02:19:21 PM by Martok »

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #36 on: February 26, 2022, 09:24:38 AM
Gotcha. I do have a copy but I never really gave it a chance, to be honest. And I suppose I never will now that Master of Magic is imminent. Oh well.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #37 on: March 29, 2022, 02:30:13 PM
Muha Games and Slitherine are now accepting applications for beta-testers (note: you do need to have/create an account with Slitherine/Matrix in order to apply)...   

https://www.slitherine.com/beta/master-of-magic

Dev Diary #9 is also now available to peruse.  It talks about -- but mostly uses screenshots to show off -- how Muha has responded to community feedback to make the player experience better.  I especially like the improvements to cities -- both how they're drawn, and especially that double-clicking on them will bring you straight to the city-view screen. 

They also mention the beta signup, which indicates to me that we're probably looking at an autumn or winter release.  Given what happened with Distant Worlds 2, I suspect a winter release is now more likely. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #38 on: May 07, 2022, 03:51:36 AM
Dev Diary #10 - Personal Log, plus Community Q&A: 

https://www.slitherine.com/news/dev-diary-10-april-2022

The two main things I took away from this were: 

1.)  We're finally going to get our first real look at the game next week during the Home of Wargamers event.  :D 

2.)  The first round of beta-testing is set to begin (have already begun?) this week.  Fingers crossed it goes better than the beta for DW2... 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #40 on: May 11, 2022, 03:37:26 AM
Slitherine finally showed off some gameplay footage during their Home of Wargamers stream.  Coverage of MoM starts at 22:22, and runs until about the 59:00 mark. 

Honestly, the game is looking very good so far.  From the improved art & visuals, to various QoL improvements the devs have added (such as tooltips, and building management for cities), to diplomacy, It all looks like it's coming together.  :bigthumb: 

The only two criticisms/concerns off the top of my head are: 1) cities have a single build queue for both units & buildings; and 2) I worry/suspect this is likely going to devolve into the usual late-game micromanagement slog.  I realize both these issues pretty much stem from Muha trying to produce a reasonably faithful remake of the original game, but I could wish they'd tried to innovate just a little in these areas.  (The single build queue seems especially unnecessary; I genuinely despise that "feature" in older games.) 

Still, I definitely remain excited for this one overall.  The MoM remake is probably my most-anticipated game this year after DW2.  (Now I just gotta keep fingers crossed that Slitherine doesn't screw up this release...) 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/slitherines-master-of-magic-remake-set-for-early-autumn-release

Early autumn it is

Yep, they mention that during the stream as well.  I'm extremely skeptical about the game releasing that soon (for several reasons), but as long as it's a reasonably solid product at launch, I'm fine with whenever it comes out. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #41 on: May 11, 2022, 08:12:50 AM
It has a very Warlock/Warlock II look to it. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, I like the look of the Warlock games.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #42 on: May 11, 2022, 08:47:51 AM
I agree. The Warlock games remain amongst my top played games. I hope this game is as good as it sounds/looks since there seems little chance of there ever being a Warlock 3.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #43 on: May 11, 2022, 09:10:36 PM
Here's a shorter video from yesterday's event, focuses on just the MoM remake itself: 

One detail that I really appreciate is from the Wizard selection/customization screen, which is how the various different Magic spheres and Traits are visually represented by spell-books.  That's just damn cool.  :2thumbs:  I realize it has no impact on gameplay, but it's definitely one of those "little things" that can really help with atmosphere & immersion. 

It has a very Warlock/Warlock II look to it. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, I like the look of the Warlock games.

I agree. The Warlock games remain amongst my top played games. I hope this game is as good as it sounds/looks since there seems little chance of there ever being a Warlock 3.

Dang it, I keep forgetting about the Warlock games.  I don't think I've installed them on my new PC yet; will have to remedy that. 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #44 on: May 13, 2022, 09:28:53 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love