Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Empires in Arms  (Read 6667 times)

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 09:30:44 AM
Never played this one. I always felt that Crown of Glory was Matrix best strategic Napoleonic game with the added bonus of tactical ground and naval combat.

I liked Crown of Glory as well.  Never played Empires in Arms but I remember at the time when I was trying to decide between EIA and COG I chose COG because of the tactical naval and army battles. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 09:08:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  Sounds like it definitely was a game to skip back when it was launched.  As regards the new update, it appears that remains to be seen. 

I've posted a query in the Matrix forums as well.  Maybe/hopefully someone there has played the game in the last couple weeks, and will give their thoughts on it. 

Yeah, I remember looking at Crown of Glory as well, and that it looked pretty decent.  Are the tactical battles any good?  I'm admittedly not big on Napoleonic land combat, but the naval warfare aspect has always interested me. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 09:28:55 PM
CoG tactical battles are turn based and pretty decent. Like all AI it's not always the best but its still fun. The overall strategic layer is very deep and takes a good amount of time to just learn. Forge of Freedom is the American Civil War version of the same game engine. It was my go to game for several years.

judgedredd

Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 01:30:29 AM
Talking about grand strategy/tactical battles games, Forge of Freedom was one of my favourites. An outstanding game. Unfortunately it was never upgraded and was very dated on a modern machine. It needed a new interface and overlay - but they never saw the financial benefits I guess.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 02:14:51 AM
CoG tactical battles are turn based and pretty decent. Like all AI it's not always the best but its still fun. The overall strategic layer is very deep and takes a good amount of time to just learn. Forge of Freedom is the American Civil War version of the same game engine. It was my go to game for several years.

Thanks, Bison.  I'm seriously tempted to pick up CoG now, especially with my anniversary coupon set to expire in another week or so... 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 09:20:45 AM
I cannot get EiA to install.  Anyone else with this issue.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 10:55:20 AM
Yep. Had to start Windows in Safe Mode to install it. Have a look at this thread on Matrix:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4930864

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 11:45:05 AM
Yep. Had to start Windows in Safe Mode to install it. Have a look at this thread on Matrix:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4930864

That's just crazy. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 11:57:56 AM
Indeed.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 12:49:27 PM
Talking about grand strategy/tactical battles games, Forge of Freedom was one of my favourites. An outstanding game. Unfortunately it was never upgraded and was very dated on a modern machine. It needed a new interface and overlay - but they never saw the financial benefits I guess.

It's a shame too because that really was a good game.  I still play it from time to time. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed