Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: 1:48 Scale P-47 Thunderbolt "Bubble Top"  (Read 5217 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 04:51:20 PM
I think sol breaks it down

It hates GW washes - I always paint in washes, space marines shoulder pad done, sol on decal, decal on shoulder pad, almost instantly took the wash off - some very creative damage and dirt details added to those 6 marines!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 07:36:14 PM
Did you use gloss varnish on the pauldron first? I have been watching a number of videos on water slide decals. I am getting ready to do my space marines but it's been years since I have used decals. I have some Mr. Mark Setter and Softener coming in the mail. First, apply the setter (glue) and then apply the softener to then the edges and make it look painted on the model. Or at least that is the premise. I watched an hour and a half youtube video of a guy comparing and using like 10 different decal products.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 08:36:29 PM
No varnish to my detriment  :tickedoff:

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2022, 08:40:20 PM
When I do decalling, I put down a light coat of spray varnish first.  Then mark setter.  Then apply the decal and use a cotton bud to wick away excess liquid.  I let it dry for a bit then apply mark fit.  Then another coat of spray varnish followed by some weathering/ blending to make it appear like it's a part of the paint job. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 02:53:34 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

judgedredd

Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 01:45:23 AM
When I do decalling, I put down a light coT of spray varnish first.  Then mark setter.  Then any the decal and use a cotton bud to wick away excess liquid. I let it dry for a bit Then apply mark fit.  Then another coat of spray varnish followed by sine weathering/ blending to make it appear like it's a part of the paint job.
Yeah - I put a coat of varnish on first. This helps reduce the shine effect the decal has on the model, then use the softner to bed the decal on and finally I often use either a matte or light sheen finish to seal the lot.

bold is me - I am impatient which is probably why mine go so wrong. I need to leave them sitting on the model a bit before  go softening them because often what happens is it starts moving again - and probably more often than not, that's when I rip the decal because I've softened it, it's moving, I move it back BOOM - ripped decal.

More patience is required - I'm waaaaay too hasty with my model building.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 01:47:35 AM by judgedredd »

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 02:48:24 PM
Beautiful looking model JD.  Nice work!

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

judgedredd

Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 03:10:03 PM
Thanks W8