Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Pre-Gunpowder Games  (Read 26217 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 06:21:20 AM
Flintlock Laser would be a good title for an RPG.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 06:32:03 AM
Flintlock Laser would be a good title for an RPG.

Wasn't that just Space: 1889?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 06:47:18 AM
Yes! I think that's also the one where a black powder explosion sends the moon out of Earth's orbit.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 07:11:30 AM
Maybe some variant on Gamma World that was in the Dragon magazine?

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 11:03:08 AM
When I was little, I always wanted one of those bows with poison arrows like Turok used to kill giant dinosaurs with one, and only one, arrow to the neck. The guy NEVER missed either.  :D

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 07:38:34 AM
I lost an entire summer to Turok years ago.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 02:57:06 PM
Does Agricola count?  ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 05:04:21 PM
Only the zombie version.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
 :waiting:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #24 on: December 25, 2019, 06:43:55 PM
Ok, I got $70 in Steam gift cards.  I'm leaning toward TW:R,ome along with TW: Warhammer 1 & 2.  For the TW:Rome, what DLC expands the game?  I'm not looking at pretty new graphics, but allows for expanded game play.  I'm mostly interested in playing as Britain. 

Or, should I just get Field of Glory II?

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #25 on: December 25, 2019, 09:37:09 PM
Ok, I got $70 in Steam gift cards.  I'm leaning toward TW:R,ome along with TW: Warhammer 1 & 2.  For the TW:Rome, what DLC expands the game?  I'm not looking at pretty new graphics, but allows for expanded game play.  I'm mostly interested in playing as Britain. 

Well if you hadn't mentioned being primarily interested in Britain, I'd have recommended the Rise of the Republic DLC for Rome II. 

Maybe give Thrones of Britannia a try instead?  I know it's not everyone's favorite TW game, but it's in a much better state than at release.  I find it captures the period pretty well IMO, including the battles (a lot of shieldwall-on-shieldwall action).  Just my two cents. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 09:39:22 PM

Depends on what you're after. If you want empire building, a campaign, and tactical battles that look great but are really rock, paper, scissors, get the TW stuff. I played a fair amount of TW:Warhammer and it works pretty well when I'm in the mood for fantasy battles with large scale war magic. I bounced off TW: Rome pretty hard. What's acceptable to me in a fantasy setting just isn't in terms of a historical setting, and the units in TW:Rome just don't allow you to really employ them the way an ancient general would.

If you want a reasonably accurate portrayal of ancient tactical warfare, FoGII scratches that itch. I have some beefs with the rules but the core mechanics are generally sound. You have to understand them, though - the game is fairly merciless if you don't learn about things like Points of Advantage and Cohesion Tests. Once you do, you can do things like read a Roman or Byzantine military manual and apply the tactics and they work. There's a campaign engine, but it's really just a battle generator, and nothing like the empire building of TW. You can, of course, use FOGII to resolve battles from FoGE, if FoGE is your cup of tea.

FoGII multiplayer is via the Slitherine PBEM++ system, which is in no way PBEM, and while easy, adds a lot of lag into two-player gaming. If you want to have some fun, poke Cyrano about PBEM++. Just be sure to move out of range.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #27 on: December 26, 2019, 12:06:01 AM

Depends on what you're after. If you want empire building, a campaign, and tactical battles that look great but are really rock, paper, scissors, get the TW stuff. I played a fair amount of TW:Warhammer and it works pretty well when I'm in the mood for fantasy battles with large scale war magic. I bounced off TW: Rome pretty hard. What's acceptable to me in a fantasy setting just isn't in terms of a historical setting, and the units in TW:Rome just don't allow you to really employ them the way an ancient general would.

If you want a reasonably accurate portrayal of ancient tactical warfare, FoGII scratches that itch. I have some beefs with the rules but the core mechanics are generally sound. You have to understand them, though - the game is fairly merciless if you don't learn about things like Points of Advantage and Cohesion Tests. Once you do, you can do things like read a Roman or Byzantine military manual and apply the tactics and they work. There's a campaign engine, but it's really just a battle generator, and nothing like the empire building of TW. You can, of course, use FOGII to resolve battles from FoGE, if FoGE is your cup of tea.

FoGII multiplayer is via the Slitherine PBEM++ system, which is in no way PBEM, and while easy, adds a lot of lag into two-player gaming. If you want to have some fun, poke Cyrano about PBEM++. Just be sure to move out of range.

Mother...it is mother...it is CHRISTMAS.  DO NOT DO THIS.

I must post to the boards and remind RBS he promised to fix his...GAME...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 12:05:35 PM
There.

Posted.

I was polite.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres