Author Topic: MtG  (Read 12628 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #135 on: September 05, 2020, 11:27:12 AM
Is there a default campaign setting that comes with MtG or is it just duels?

As far as I know, there is no official campaign system, but a few years ago, a buddy and I came up with a campaign system that worked really well. I think I still have all the stuff we worked up for it somewhere.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #136 on: September 05, 2020, 12:55:47 PM
Is there a default campaign setting that comes with MtG or is it just duels?

Currently, no.  In the past, I don't think so.They do like to keep things consistently themed each set though.  For instance, the last expansion, Ikoria, was Kaiju and Humans.  The expansion before that, Theros, was Greek mythology themed.  I don't know if it has happened before this, but, I do know that Theros has been made into an official D&D 5E campaign setting.   But as far as anything cohesive beyond dueling, no.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #137 on: September 05, 2020, 02:48:31 PM
Interesting. Could you create a campaign that would use MtG for combat? I seem to remember an old PC version of it that did.
The wife and I both received starter sets for Christmas. I suppose I need to try it out one of these days.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #138 on: September 05, 2020, 03:04:07 PM
There are themed worlds, but not necessarily a progressive storyline in each one.

Ice Age had the Alliances and Coldsnap expansions.

Weatherlight had the adventurer characters.

Mirage and expansions were vaguely Africa-themed

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #139 on: September 05, 2020, 05:17:41 PM
Interesting. Could you create a campaign that would use MtG for combat? I seem to remember an old PC version of it that did.
The wife and I both received starter sets for Christmas. I suppose I need to try it out one of these days.

I had that game!  Unfortunately, I didn't have a home PC to play it on and had to leave it at my cousin's for the times I would be over there.  It got conveniently lost at some point and I haven't seen it since. :(

The general idea of dueling is that you are a Planeswalker and the cards represent lands and spells that you are able to draw on.  I could see developing a story where you walk the Planes and duel others of your ilk.  Wouldn't be too hard I imagine.

@brant: Mirage was when I originally quit collecting.  I had some of just about every set from Revised up to Mirage though.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #140 on: September 05, 2020, 05:21:31 PM
Like I said, me and a buddy developed a campaign system.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #141 on: September 05, 2020, 05:42:38 PM
We heard you, we're just waiting for you to post it.  :whistle:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #142 on: September 05, 2020, 06:24:31 PM
I bailed right as Mirage started. I had full sets of almost everything from Legends thru Alliances, incl 3E and 4E.
I can appreciate the way they developed those sets around unified themes, but I just wasn't an economic position to keep up with the game at all, and by the time I might have been I was far more interested in other stuff

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #143 on: September 05, 2020, 06:25:48 PM
In the mid-90s when I was on active duty, there were a bunch of the guys on base that also played. Around the same time that the middle Earth game came out, wee house ruled a bunch of stuff to play a quest-based game using the MtG cards, were you had a Legend as your primary character and you were traveling across different lands to get to artifacts as the item at the end of your quest

I can loosely remember how the rules went but not enough that it would be playable in any real form

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #144 on: September 06, 2020, 01:03:55 AM
I bailed right as Mirage started. I had full sets of almost everything from Legends thru Alliances, incl 3E and 4E.
I can appreciate the way they developed those sets around unified themes, but I just wasn't an economic position to keep up with the game at all, and by the time I might have been I was far more interested in other stuff

^This exactly.  Except no full sets and started around Antiquities and Unlimited.  Just missed Legends.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #145 on: September 06, 2020, 07:05:13 AM
We heard you, we're just waiting for you to post it.  :whistle:

I've been looking for the stuff we did, although I can remember most of it. If anyone is interested, I would quite like to revive it as there were a couple of aspects that still needed to be agreed on. Unfortunately, my buddy got distracted onto other projects so it all got shelved..

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #146 on: September 06, 2020, 07:55:33 AM

^This exactly.  Except no full sets and started around Antiquities and Unlimited.  Just missed Legends.

Antiquities was before Legends

The first expansions were
Arabian Nights
Antiquities
Legends
The Dark
Fallen Empires

And then they set up Ice Age as a stand-alone that could be played without any of the basic set cards
But after they released Alliances as an Ice Age specific expansion, I lose track of the sequence

Metaldog

• Lancer
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #147 on: September 06, 2020, 09:33:33 AM
Well them.  Looks like I was wrong.  I knew I had missed Alpha, Beta, and Arabian Nights.  I just thought Legends preceded Antiquities.  That was all right around the time I first remember seeing your name.  Duelist, wasn't it?  I still have the issues I collected.  Just packed away in storage.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #148 on: September 06, 2020, 10:26:16 AM
I'm quoted in one issue of The Duelist way back when.

I was VERY active on the old MTG-L email lists in 95-96-97 or so.

Antiquities picks were still available on shelves when
Legends was released. It wasn't until 4e was available in Walmart/Target that it *really* blew up, an WotC got much more serious/professionalized about sequencing/marketing the releases.

I remember the timing pretty well tho, bc that was all right when I was graduating college and heading into the Army, and btw what was released while still in NC, and then at Ft Knox for AOBC and then in CA while I was on active duty. So it really comes down to which sets were released based on where I was living at the time

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #149 on: September 06, 2020, 10:30:13 AM