Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: September 2, 2021 -- What just happened...  (Read 3100 times)

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
on: September 03, 2021, 10:44:50 AM
I wanted to put up a post for any and all discussion of what the heck happened with the "Where Are We" scenario for "Chain of Command" last night.

The video is here:

For those that might have missed it, the problem is, I think, two-fold:

1.  Why does ANYONE attack here?  Merely the spirit of the game?  I can live with that, but wanted it writ down.

2:  Why would anyone deploy infantry?  This was the bulk of the conversation.  I've posted this to the CoC FB group and have received interesting answer so far, conflicting with each other, of course...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 12:13:12 PM
Being one of the participants last night, and the main instigator of the "this is broken" line of thinking.. and, well, a little drunk... I thought I should share some thoughts now that I've had some more, sober, time to think about this.

I still think it's broke, or at least, if played the way some, Chrono, were suggesting in the chat, would devolve into a very uninteresting, very long scenario.

The Russians making very small moves, using overwatch and only moving 1 tank at a time. All the while trying to pile up Command dice.
The Germans don't deploy anyone at all while, having turned one squad into 2 panzerknacker teams while also trying to pile up command dice.

Russians eventually get to just outside of panzerknacker ambush range and deploy the squad of smg crazies.
Germans have choice to now bring on StuGs or infantry either of which will probably be shot to pieces by overwatching T-34s and Lee.

Once German tanks are gone Russians waltz into German JOPs for win OR Germans withdraw.
If, by chance, the Germans win the tank battle, the Russians withdraw.

Pretty much no need for infantry either way.

At least that's how I see it.

Please prove me wrong.

PS Sorry I broke yer game.  :whistle:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 12:57:21 PM
One fellow just commented, "well, maybe this one is a tank battle"...

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 01:24:06 PM
Now from Richard himself:

...I've just had a read through.  It's the final scenario of the campaign; it's a grand finale with armour, as befits Kursk.  The Germans can convert infantry to tank killers.  You keep support choices fro the previous scenario.  So lots of potential for infantry v armour...

Two points, I guess:  it's not the final scenario.  Second, I don't think you DO get to keep support...

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 01:28:30 PM
More from the man himself (who, as it turns out, did NOT design the campaign):

...the terrain gives lots of cover, so lots of room for infantry to pop up and ambush tanks.  Would I parade my infantry around to make it canon fodder?  No.  However, would I use them carefully?  Yes, for sure. Keeping them off table and the deploying to block when needed.

Chronologist

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 02:35:13 PM
As defending player, if the Soviets try to creep up slowly - and given the way the dice fall out, there's no guarantee that they'll be able to activate or use all of their tanks at once (of course, same for me), I'm going to use the terrain and angles to try and keyhole one Soviet tank at a time and take them out with the defending StuGs; if I'm attacking, I'm pushing up as fast as I can with a combined arms team of T-34s and infantry to prevent exactly that.

I think it's a tough fight; I don't think it's fundamentally broken.