Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 179835 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1020 on: December 13, 2023, 06:54:55 AM
Just got a late birthday/ early Christmas pressie in the form of 'Fate of the Reiters' by Hexasim.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1021 on: December 13, 2023, 08:16:00 AM
Noice

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #1022 on: December 13, 2023, 10:03:16 AM
Here's my obligatory ASL photo.

We played this scenario last weekend.  I chose it partly because it was set on 16 December 1944 on the opening day of the Bulge.  Pretty simple scenario with the Germans attacking the Americans in the woods.  American force isn't particularly strong, but the German force is pretty strong, with lots of squads.  The Germans have to take 4 out of 5 designated hexes, which I marked with red plastic circles. 

I set my defense up to be strong on my right side to discourage him from coming through the woods.  I was concerned that he could get close, blast me with his superior firepower, and then get into close combat with 2 or 3 squads against my 1 squad.  On the left, there is open ground, so I set up my two MMGs with good fields of fire, and I had a little mortar in a forward position.  Once the fight got into the woods, that mortar would be useless, so that half squad was a sacrificial speed bump.  Quite a few of my units in the photo are dummies, which will slow him down a bit.

On the first turn, my strategy seemed to work.  I set up two fire lanes in the open ground, and killed a full squad on my first shot.  The fire lanes discouraged him running down that side.  Plus my mortar got acquisition on a woods hex on the board edge, which also slowed him down.  So far, so good.

On the second turn, the Germans pushed down my left side.  I left that side a little too weak, and my shots were ineffective, so he got a foothold into the woods a little easier than I had hoped.  In the center and the right, he stalled, but then he shot two of my primary defenders in the woodline and broke them both with weak shots.  Oops.  But this illustrates why I don't like playing the Americans - they break easy.  That is usually offset by a good ability to rally, good firepower, and lots of support weapons, but they are still too fragile.

As the game progressed, the Germans kept pushing on all fronts.  The dice were not on my side during this game.  My units kept breaking.  Three times in a row I tried to rally a unit, only to roll boxcars, which results in casualty reduction (and no rally).  The last time that happened I just laughed and cried.  Every time I had a good shot, I'd nerf the shot.  After my initial kill, I think I only broke 3 of his German squads.  One of those I managed to kill by failure to rout.  I don't like to blame the dice, but they sure weren't on my side during this game.

Another challenge for the Americans is that the Germans had plenty of time, so I was constantly fighting a measured retreat.  As the noose collapsed on the last victory hex, I still had two good squads in position to defend it, but they couldn't survive the barrage of German firepower, and with a half-turn to go, both squads broke.  At that point, I only had a puny green half-squad to defend the hex against at least 8 full squads, so I conceded with a half-turn to go.

This weekend, I'll go from the snowy forests in Europe to the kunai of Thailand.  Our scenario is set in 1941, and has the Vichy French attacking the Thai Army.  The French have an FT-17 and will attack a hill.  Should be interesting.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 10:07:36 AM by trailrunner »

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1023 on: December 13, 2023, 11:43:47 AM
sounds like it was a good time!

What are the white counter-holders on the American side?
Are there any dummy counters under those "?"s ?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #1024 on: December 13, 2023, 01:30:54 PM
What are the white counter-holders on the American side?

Those are stack guards, made by a fellow North Carolinian.  Those make it easy to move stacks around without spilling them.  That's especially important when trying to keep your units concealed under the ?.

Are there any dummy counters under those "?"s ?

You can have real units under a ?, so some are dummies, and some are real.  The ? counters hide the contents, plus they make it harder to attack them.  The basic effect is to reduce fire power on it by half.  It also helps in close combat.  Concealment can be an important part of a game, as it was for me on defense.  Typically, the attacker has to probe, either recon by fire, or by sending scouts (usually half squads) forward.  Making your opponent waste a turn shooting at dummies is not a bad thing.

One of the really fun aspects of hidden units in ASL is that guns (ordnance usually larger than around 20mm) can always be hidden unless otherwise specified.  That makes commanding tanks tense.  The scenario I played two weeks ago, I had 7 (yes, 7) Tiger tanks, but my opponent had 6 AT guns, all hidden.  Yeah, I found the hidden guns alright - when they shot at me at close range. 

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1025 on: December 13, 2023, 03:36:47 PM
Yeah, I found the hidden guns alright - when they shot at me at close range.

Recon by death!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1026 on: December 13, 2023, 04:19:02 PM
Great War Commander

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1027 on: December 13, 2023, 05:38:46 PM
I do so like the look of it - very splendid! <twirls 'stache>

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1028 on: December 14, 2023, 02:03:30 AM
It really is quite an excellent game...apart from the OpFire rule. And beautiful.

My French units in the top right of the map are about to perform an Offensive order...meaning they can move then fire. The Germans  are way ahead in points, but they're only 4 units away from Surrendering. So if I can get close enough to perform some melee, I might be able to nip it.

I'm really not having a problem playing both sides either...I just play "logically" for both sides, regardless of what I know about the other sides cards.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1029 on: December 14, 2023, 08:05:46 AM

I'm really not having a problem playing both sides either...I just play "logically" for both sides, regardless of what I know about the other sides cards.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1030 on: January 07, 2024, 01:31:37 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1031 on: January 08, 2024, 09:06:07 AM
Exercise 1:Crossed Swords
The first exercise in the game Red Strike to show ground movement, combat, supply and ZoCs

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1032 on: January 10, 2024, 04:28:38 PM
Currently playing 'The Hill of Death - Champion Hill'. This is the first game in the 'Shattered Union' series from TBP, designed by the esteemed Mr. Hermann Luttmann.

i=PsC3Xs_dIyvF7sW4

Thank you, Mike!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 04:32:34 PM by bob48 »

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #1033 on: January 14, 2024, 05:14:58 PM
We're going to try out our 1st game of Prime Minister today. 

I've gone through the rules a few times.  Mostly straightforward, I think but some of the scoring and timing rules seem a bit tricky.  I'm looking forward to it though.

We did a random draw for politicians.  The Liberals will start with the majority.  Earl Russel as PM with Palmerston waiting in the wings.  The Opposition leader will be the Marquess of Salisbury with Disraeli as backbencher.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1034 on: January 15, 2024, 06:47:21 AM
one does not approve  ;D