Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Veterans Day visit to local middle school  (Read 4114 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: November 14, 2018, 10:25:22 AM
My son's old middle school brings in local veterans to talk to the students on veterans day every year.  They bring them in to talk to the social studies and language classes, since those are required core classes (so everyone has them).

This is the 5th year I've been there to talk to the classes, and every class is always bringing a totally different set of questions to the table, but this year I kind of pre-empted them all with a quick point that I wanted to make for everyone right after they introduced me

Paraphrasing:

I'm not up here to tell you the military is a perfect fit for everyone, and you should run right out and join.  I think you should at least not rule it out when you're considering different options in life, even if you only join for one tour of duty and bank some college money while growing up a bit and learning something about yourself.
But more importantly, you should learn something about our military because they far and away the biggest part of our federal government, and what the military does touches way more of our life than you realize.  And you owe it to yourself to be an informed citizen who understands some of what the military can and can't do, what they should and shouldn't do, and what they are allowed and not allowed to do.
We just had a big election in the US last week, and military issues factored into several races, and in a few years, you guys are going to be voting.  And to make a well-informed choice, this is some of the information you need.
You don't need to become an expert, but you need to have a basic understand of what I just mentioned, and you might have to go find it for yourself becuase its rare that schools have time to get that into their curriculum anymore.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love