Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56267 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #105 on: October 18, 2021, 11:00:58 PM
I tried one more experimental base this evening. The figure is another of the 20 year old D&D pre-painted miniatures. He's a "wood elf". I don't know. He is so dark in color the armor, leather, weapons and what not all blend into a grey/brown figure on the table. I think I used him as an evil bandit leader on a past campaign if I recall correctly. He does not strike me as a particularly heroic model. Anyway, he's a good base line standard for miniatures I paint. So if the quality I paint is even slightly better then him, I struck gold with the paint job!

Back to the point on experimenting on this model. The basing is Citadel's Armageddon Dust technical paint and an Agrax Earthshade wash. I then did some light dry brushing with Vallejo earth brown and something beige...I cannot recall. The rocks and grass are the Army Painter products but I used a mix of several different grasses. I chose not to use any tuffs on this one to save on my currently limited stock. But I think a tuff off to one side or in back would help with the presentation. Also, I went with a much heavier grass layer. But the technical paint looks really good on its own so as the static grass falls of a base it just creates a nice dirt looking patch. I think I am going to go with this style for the Rohan army with less rocks and more grass. I think the rocks look better as a patch/pile then as a base layer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 12:05:19 AM by Bison »

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #106 on: October 19, 2021, 03:59:19 AM
Seeing other's hobby work is a great incentive and provides inspiration to continue our own.
Thank you for sharing. Lovely stuff.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #107 on: October 19, 2021, 09:46:52 PM
I battled super glue this evening. It was a sticky situation and our forces were not easily separated. I may or may not have a paper permanently stuck to my fingers.

I did hopefully repair a broken spear. As annoying as mixing metal and plastics can be at times, I would love spears that were more durable to curious young hands and being dropped on the floor. :)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #108 on: October 20, 2021, 05:15:52 PM
being dropped on the floor. :)

This would be my biggest problem.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #109 on: October 20, 2021, 05:19:10 PM
I ordered some brass spears from North Star miniatures - definitely drop proof

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #110 on: October 20, 2021, 08:39:10 PM

For what line of miniatures are you using them on? The Army of the Dead figures have very tiny hands and I do not think I could hand drill a hole to fit a new spear. I think I would have to do some sort of simple green stuff modelling to shape a hand.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #111 on: October 20, 2021, 08:40:28 PM
being dropped on the floor. :)

This would be my biggest problem.  :P

I have knocked them over a good couple dozen times. And the cats have done the same. And the kids. I am not really how it broke but needless to say it broke and I hope the super glue holds.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #112 on: October 21, 2021, 03:38:21 AM
Fingers crossed it does the trick! 

Honestly, I don't even need kids or pets to be knocking things over.  I'm already too good at doing that by myself.  ::) 

If I were to take up painting miniatures, I would almost have to have a table with some sort of low/sloped "ledge" around the outside, so as to contain the inevitable spills I would create... 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #113 on: October 21, 2021, 04:03:38 AM
It's really only the one's with a milk like consistency that are really at high risk for spilling and making a big mess. So your inks, washes, and I suspect the new contrast style paint lines. Otherwise, if you are using a dropper bottle or your brush to scoop paint out of a pot to put some on your pallet. Its a very small amount especially if you are doing only one or two figures at a time.

Anyway, I think if you play RPGs as a player or GM there is something very cool about playing with minis you painted. It personalizes the game that much more. And you don't need a hundred colors. The three primary colors, white, black, and if you are living on the edge a couple of shades to pull the details out. I find it to be a very relaxing process.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #114 on: October 21, 2021, 06:05:40 AM

For what line of miniatures are you using them on? The Army of the Dead figures have very tiny hands and I do not think I could hand drill a hole to fit a new spear. I think I would have to do some sort of simple green stuff modelling to shape a hand.

LOTR angmar orcs which are Mordor orcs - hand drill works just fine as they already have a clenched fist for holding the plastic spear

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #115 on: October 21, 2021, 07:58:33 PM
It's really only the one's with a milk like consistency that are really at high risk for spilling and making a big mess. So your inks, washes, and I suspect the new contrast style paint lines. Otherwise, if you are using a dropper bottle or your brush to scoop paint out of a pot to put some on your pallet. Its a very small amount especially if you are doing only one or two figures at a time.

Unless of course the dropper bottle is clogged and you stubbornly squeeze it to clear said clog. And then the clog clears, along with half the bottle of paint all over your work surface and other models waiting to be painted ...... :censored:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #116 on: October 21, 2021, 08:00:45 PM
Done this - detritus still stuck to the wall

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #117 on: October 22, 2021, 11:15:10 PM
Army of the Dead is now complete. Next group to be painted is the Rohan foot and then I will address the horse and riders. I really need to think through how I want to paint the horses.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #118 on: November 13, 2021, 11:58:44 PM
Work has gotten the better of my hobby time the past couple of weeks so progress slowed a little on Rohan warriors. I have the paint schemes sorted out for the most part and the foot are lined up to be painted over the Thanksgiving holiday.

However, I did get sidetracked by some new plastics this evening. I started to assemble some English foot knights for Lion's Rampant. We are going to play the spearmen as foot sergeants and the sword and hammers as man-at-arms. This will provide some variation of units. I have a box of bowmen and be history is taking a back seat to fun and both the English and French will get longbow until I get French crossbowmen. Also, I have boxes of heavy knights and light horsemen (crossbow/spears) for cavalry on both sides. All told this is about 36 points or to assemble forces for both the French and English.

Now I will post some images later but anyone who has worked with Perry Miniatures medieval models will understand...the face guards are a pain in the backside to put on the model.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #119 on: November 14, 2021, 12:01:05 AM
Mental reminder to myself: work on the terrain!