Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Imperiums: Greek Wars  (Read 21295 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: October 27, 2020, 02:33:16 PM
Has anyone (else) played/is playing this one?  It's the (more or less direct) sequel to Aggressors: Ancient Rome, itself an underrated historical 4x published by Matrix/Slitherine. 

In any case, for those interested, the dev just released a good amount of details regarding Troy, the free DLC they've been working on. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
A peek under the hood of Imperiums: Troy DLC
First details about Imperiums: Troy DLC revealed

The first DLC for Imperiums, simply called Troy, is now very near to release. At the moment, we are testing and polishing the last details and our great translators are finishing work on the remaining texts.

When we announced the DLC, some of you were surprised by the choice of theme. We are well aware of another recently released game that also focused on this historical period. It is not our ambition to go eye to eye with an AAA title, we just wanted to make our own version of this captivating story.

The Trojan war is half myth, even historians themselves are not united about when, where or even if it was really fought. We dedicated quite a lot of time to the reading of various historical sources and legends to make our account of those events as precise and as believable as possible.

On the other hand, gods and heroes are as vital a part of the Trojan legend as they were an integral part of life in ancient times and we could hardly ignore their role in this story. Our goal was to find a compromise where the supernatural is present but in an acceptable and believable way, even for those of you who come to Troy to fight a real battle. There will be no cyclops or minotaurs but the gods are by their nature omnipresent.

So, let’s take a more detailed peek under the hood.

The campaign map is relatively small, it covers the southern part of the Hellespont strait with several outlying islands. The story starts with the Greeks already settled on several of these islands opposite the mainland, with their fleet getting ready for an assault. The Greek coalition consists of the Mykeneans lead by ambitious Agamemnon, Ithakans lead by wise Odysseus, Myrmidons headed by the great Achilles and Salaminians lead by another great hero Ajax.

The Greeks disembark on the Trojan coast within the first few turns of the game and we took extra care to teach the AI to put Troy under real pressure right from the start. The testing shows that the AI is more than capable of leading the Greeks. Sooner or later Troy loses most of its coastal areas and although Troy has its own small war fleet, it cannot stand against the massive force of Greek ships. However it can still inflict some damage and trouble the invading armies.

Resource wise, none of the factions are fully dependant on income from mines and cities. Troy gets some extra resources via supply lines, but these are vulnerable to Greek attacks. The Greeks get resources from their homeland, but the maintenance of their army becomes more and more expensive over time.

This will necessarily lead to a war of attrition, with both sides fighting for more resources. Troy DLC is not only a tactical game, it has a strategic dimension too.

The course of the war can be affected by side events, such as Thrakian raids in the north, the sacking of the temple of Apollo or the cutting of the Trojan supply lines, via their only port that is capable of building biremes. The effects of these events might seem minor but their long term effect may significantly affect the war.

In contrast to the main campaign map, we removed the options to build most of the buildings, such as temples, blacksmiths, shipyards, etc. to emphasize their strategic importance in Troy. Several of them are placed on the map at the beginning and losing a blacksmith or a stable may have devastating effects on the outcome of the war.

Another major change is the removal of the Research tree and all technologies. You can only work with what you are provided with at the beginning of the scenario. This decision was driven by the fact that we are only covering a period of a year or two and pretty much all of the resources will be used by the war machine.

The Research tree is replaced by a `Book of Fate`. This represents the supernatural in the game and provides interventions from the gods to both Troy and the Greeks. As a player, you cannot affect these events. They are designed in a way that they should not significantly alter the course of the war, rather that they should create an immersive story line with minor advantages or disadvantages for either side while staying true to the legends of Troy. As always in Imperiums, this feature can be disabled if you are not fond of these kind of random events.

There are also two legendary prophets, Helenos and Kalchas. These two Seers, one on each side, allow the fog of war to be lifted. This enables you find out what is happening behind the Trojan walls or conversely where the Greeks are planning their next disembarkation.

If you decide to defend Troy, you can be sure that sooner or later the Greeks will push you back behind the great walls of your city. These walls give you a major advantage and if you use them well it may be possible to keep the Greeks at bay long enough to bleed them dry. You can also use your citizenry to defend the city walls, this will strengthen the defenses but you need to keep in mind that fear can have a devastating effect on the morale of those inside the gates.

The Greek factions have their own disagreements. If you manage to improve your relations with one of the factions and sign a separate peace treaty, you can save the city and the kingdom. This option, or the exhaustion of the Greek forces in front of your gates, provide two of the more practical options for winning as Troy.

The truth is though, that unless you are well prepared for a long siege, your people will start to starve. Even if you manage to keep the city walls intact, the men may stop following your orders, rebellions may break morale faster than the constant Greek attacks. To avoid starvation and to reduce pressure on your resources, you can lead elements of your population out of the city to the east.

How this legendary battle ends, is up to you. Although the games are quite short (2-4 hours), they are action packed, and if you step into the Trojan throne, you will most likely find yourself trying to save the city over and over again. Leading the Greek coalition is also a challenging option and we can promise you either way the outcome will be ʺjust one more turn“.

I'll admit to being intrigued.  I generally favor larger, sandbox-type campaigns, but in this case I like the tighter focus and more limited scope of the Troy DLC.  The fact that the developer is good at AI means the campaign should be a nice challenge, regardless of whether one plays as the Greeks or the Trojans. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
The Steam page for the free Troy DLC is up.  No official release has been announced yet, the dev has it will be 'very soon".  :D 

Having read the dev's design for the DLC, I have to say I like what I'm seeomg.  If Troy comes off the way Kube Games intends, it should be a pretty tense campaign for both attacker and defender. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 04:45:08 PM
I guess I should have waited a day:  The Troy DLC now has a release date of next Tuesday, November 24! 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1183470/announcements/detail/2908724255339720362

The developer has also made the manual for Troy available for viewing/download here: 

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1404250/manuals/TroyManual.pdf?t=1605522766

Not gonna lie:  I'm genuinely looking forward to this.  There are very few 4x, strategy, or wargames out there with a Troy scenario, so I appreciate the devs making one for their game. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 04:35:57 PM
About a week later than originally intended, but the Troy DLC is now out! 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1183470/announcements/detail/2892963558041380399

Alongside that, the 1.1.0 update for the main game has dropped as well.  Looks like it includes a lot of nice changes & improvements. 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1183470/announcements/detail/2892963558041877128

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 06:14:27 AM
So are you playing it now?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 04:52:44 PM
Sigh, not yet.  Too many other games!  ::) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:35:35 AM
The Age of Alexander is coming!  You can add it to your wishlist now, and get a discount when it launches.  :D 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1183470/view/3026950721040088956

Aside from a new campaign (which shifts focus from Phillip II to Alexander, natch), the DLC adds several new features.  The two I find most interesting are Military Reserves and Regional Centers; I'll be quite curious to see how (and if) they work. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 02:38:48 AM
If you want to know how i look like, i am the second guy in the trailer (just after Philip).  :)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 10:09:42 AM
If you want to know how i look like, i am the second guy in the trailer (just after Philip).  :)

flat & 2-dimensional?!   :o

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 11:00:22 AM
 ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 11:12:45 AM

flat & 2-dimensional?!   :o
:ROFL:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 11:53:13 AM

So should I call you Demosthenes instead of Anguille, then?  :D 

What's odd is I actually thought he looked vaguely familiar, but hadn't a clue as to why that might be until now.  Didn't you used to have that photo as your avatar a gazillion years ago (possibly on the BOTF forums)?  I know I've seen that handsome mug before.  8) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 05:38:58 PM
A new blog discussing the revised Corruption mechanic and new Regional Capitals feature in the upcoming Age of Alexanders DLC:   

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1183470/announcements/detail/2970671580620497229

Pavel, Imperiums' lead designer, also talks a bit about combating the issue of the "snowball effect" in 4x/grand-strategy games, especially those in a historical setting.  It was nice getting his perspective in tackling in what has always been one of the genre's thorniest problems. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 03:17:43 PM
I bought Imperiums: Greek Wars just for the Alexander DLC (and Anguille's portrait) and check Steam everyday to see if it's been released yet...:/

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 03:59:17 PM
I'm betting it comes out in the next month or two.  The developers released that latest blog after several weeks of relative quiet, and it specifically discusses features in the upcoming DLC.  They typically don't do that unless they're planning to release soon.