Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 200017 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #780 on: June 08, 2023, 07:07:48 PM
In 66 AD, Jewish zealots storm the fortress Antonia in Jerusalem.  This begins the Great Revolt.

Had to dig for this one:

The Jewish War

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #781 on: June 08, 2023, 09:55:13 PM
Very nice.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #782 on: June 08, 2023, 11:01:18 PM
One of my favorite scenarios from the old AGEOD game, Alea Jacta Est. And damned challenging too.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #783 on: June 09, 2023, 04:39:04 PM
1625.  Sara Rapolje, daughter of Joris and Catalna, is first European child born in Nieuw Amsterdam, on the island of Manhattan.
1864.  The First Tennessee cavalry is surprised at Roswell, Ga.  A Confederate patrol catches them bathing in the Chatahoochie river.  They drive off the patrol by conducting a cavalry charge while stark naked.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #784 on: June 09, 2023, 11:53:07 PM
Thus earning the First Tennessee their unit motto, "A Weapon In Each Hand".  :whistle:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #785 on: June 10, 2023, 08:53:01 AM
1900, 30,000 Chinese Boxers and Imperial troops be siege Peking.  Among the foreigners is an American civil engineer, future President Herbert Hoover.  Although a pacifist, he organizes supplies, designs and builds fortifications, and is responsible for the water supply.  This requires him to slip through the Chinese lines at great risk.  His wife served as a volunteer nurse. She carried a pistol, just in case.
1918, Luigi Rizzo, Italian torpedo boat commander, gets his second battleship, Szent Istvan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5pSiCjfhUUw&pp=ygUUc3plbnQgaXN0dmFuIHNpbmtpbmc%3D

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #786 on: June 10, 2023, 11:01:53 AM
1900, 30,000 Chinese Boxers and Imperial troops be siege Peking.  Among the foreigners is an American civil engineer, future President Herbert Hoover.  Although a pacifist, he organizes supplies, designs and builds fortifications, and is responsible for the water supply.  This requires him to slip through the Chinese lines at great risk.  His wife served as a volunteer nurse. She carried a pistol, just in case.

bbmike has a good idea, so here's my suggested game for the Boxer Rebellion: Keep Up The Fire!: The Boxer Rebellion (2011)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #787 on: June 11, 2023, 05:59:59 PM
In 1903, King Alexander Obronovic of Serbia, 26, and his wife Queen Draga, 38, are assassinated by "The Black Hand" Serbian nationalists.
1939, President Roosevelt serves hot dogs and beer to George and Elizabeth Windsor.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #788 on: June 12, 2023, 10:04:28 AM

bbmike has a good idea, so here's my suggested game for the Boxer Rebellion: Keep Up The Fire!: The Boxer Rebellion (2011)

:applause:
I was hoping others would join in and make suggestions.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #789 on: June 12, 2023, 10:29:31 AM
456 BC.  Herodotus begins public readings of his "Histories" in Athens. (The twelfth of Hekatombaion.)
1365.  Edward III finds that his subjects enjoy football more than archery practice.  He bans football.

Mike, I enjoy your choices a lot.  If others aren't interested, that's their loss.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #790 on: June 13, 2023, 09:50:37 AM
1941, the intelligence report on the British raid on Taranto is received in Honolulu.  Pacific Fleet admiral Kimmel is briefed and gets a copy.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #791 on: June 14, 2023, 11:09:35 AM
1744.  Admiral Anson returns to England after circumnavigation the world.  Losing three ships and 80% of his crews, he brought prize worth 1.6 million pounds.  Perhaps 2.5 billion dollars today.

1800 Napoleon fights the battle of Marengo.
1807 Napoleon fights the battle of Friedland.
1815 Napoleon begins the Waterloo campaign.

1942.  Production of the bazooka begins at Bridgeport, Ct.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #792 on: June 14, 2023, 11:50:40 AM
1815 Napoleon begins the Waterloo campaign.

I wonder if anyone ever got around to any games on this one...   :dreamer:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #793 on: June 14, 2023, 11:44:53 PM
I think there were games for it BEFORE the battle was over.  Thank you Mr. Bonaparte for going down swinging like a man.  :biggrin:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #794 on: June 15, 2023, 08:04:11 AM
1815.  The duchess of Richmond hosts a famous ball in Brussels.
1888.  Kaiser Frederik dies of throat cancer at 56.  Wilhelm II takes over.
1955.  Duck and Cover.
First nationwide Civil Defense drill.  The confusing directions leads many children to believe they will be on fire a lot as adults.