Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Napoleonic Rules Question  (Read 7065 times)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 07:53:40 PM
Hey fellow gamers--

I have a question about your wonderful Napoleonic tabletop videos. What rules do you guys use? Do you ever have game gatherings for new people? I had no idea Tabletop Simulator even existed until a few days ago, and I would love to learn the rules and take part some time in the future. I'm a quick study, have a background in military history (though probably not as extensive as most of you) and am an experienced war gamer.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Howdy Eluminati,

I realize this is a month late, so you might already be in contact with Cyrano, or you found the answer elsewhere. There are a TON of Napoleonic rules out there and many of them can be used in TTS. Cyrano uses Sam Mustafa's Blücher and he likes The Wargaming Company's Et sans résultat! I'm sure Cyrano could provide you with many other examples. I've tried many other Napoleonic rules, such as Ned Zuparko's Vive L'Empereur and Avalon Hill's Napoleon's Battles and a few others as well. For my money, Sam Mustafa's are the best; however, as they say, ymmv.

I guess the questions we should have asked you are what level of Napoleonic wargaming are you interested in? The individual soldier or company level? The battalion or regiment level? The brigade or divisional level? There is a cool list of Napoleonic tabletop miniature games you might consider. Each has their pros and cons. Let us know what you try and how it works.  :)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 10:45:22 PM
Funny you should ask...on all counts...

Please see new post in the Saturday Night Fights, &c., forum...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 10:08:54 AM
May I pull this up again? Anyone got thoughts?

As we are assembled here... do we have members experienced with Orders to Eagles or Morale Napoleon and want to share their opinion on these rulesets?

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 10:59:17 AM
No experience of "OtE".

"ME" is built around the THW engine which thinks a great deal of itself, particularly its ability to apply the same mechanics to many periods.    It can't.  I like it a lot for Colonials, WWII, and Zombie fighting, but, in the Napoleonic period, it lacks much.

I don't think the command structure is credible, I don't care for the way it organizes units, and I am hard put to imagine how you'd build a battle with it.  The scenarios in the book suggest as much as they're slightly buffed versions of the same scenarios from "Colonial Adventures".

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 05:47:33 PM
Ha, thanks for your take, Jim!

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!