Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: SNF -- July 27, 2019 -- RETURN to Teugn-Hausen  (Read 14068 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 03:00:06 PM
But they are! I have a reserve gun battery already in the front line at the end.  :D

The real problem is going to be trying position all the new troops in such a small area.... was the real battlefield this "cramped"? It all being relative of course but are the north and south boundaries on the table real life restrictions?

Although, now that I think a bit, maybe yer supposed to push troops to the front, blast away until they nearly break then retire them and bring up "fresh" troops while yer commanders hang out at the rear reducing combat effects to get them ready to feed back into the front.... crap is this turning me into a Nappy freak?!?  :idiot2:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 11:16:19 PM
But they are! I have a reserve gun battery already in the front line at the end.  :D

The real problem is going to be trying position all the new troops in such a small area.... was the real battlefield this "cramped"? It all being relative of course but are the north and south boundaries on the table real life restrictions?

Although, now that I think a bit, maybe yer supposed to push troops to the front, blast away until they nearly break then retire them and bring up "fresh" troops while yer commanders hang out at the rear reducing combat effects to get them ready to feed back into the front.... crap is this turning me into a Nappy freak?!?  :idiot2:

The battalions cover more frontage than I think they should in BP. Having said that the Austrians didn't historically move everyone to the front. There are villages south of the river that they garrisoned with a good part of those troops you are moving forward.

But yeah, you have it right. You really want to keep pretty significant reserves. As battalions get worn down, rotate them out and replace them with fresh battalions. At the point that the enemy seems to be running out of fresh battalions, then you hit him with your entire reserve to break him. It's an adage of Napoleonic warfare that "he who commits his reserve last wins the day."

And yes, you are getting addicted.  ;D

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 10:52:18 AM
There's that old saw about madness being doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

Every time I visit battlefields I am caught in the same cycle:

1.  I love miniatures.

2.  Miniatures are usually played on terrain.

3.  Whether the more academic difference between figure height and ground scale or the substantive matter of ground scale versus the terrain we depict on the tabletop, you can either do what most do and point out -- as Doug did during the video -- that the terrain is representational -- or you can tear your hair out, scream mightily, and swear off miniatures forever.

4.  I then return to #1.

Start here, although BP2 doesn't state its ground scale -- deliberately -- I believe there's a consensus out there that it's 1'' to 20 yards.

If that be so, our map is well too small.  I based it on a scenario I found on-line that seemed to work and I'm reasonably pleased with the outcome.  I will not lie, however, and I will be having a look at a significant expansion of its size.

One note as to something I now believe will every piece of me, though, the only way to do hills/slopes/&c., that are of military consequence correctly is to draw them or, if you're truly loony, create a purpose-built model.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 11:54:35 AM
if you're truly loony, create a purpose-built model.

"If" seems to indicate the possibility of another condition....

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 01:12:18 PM

If that be so, our map is well too small.  I based it on a scenario I found on-line that seemed to work and I'm reasonably pleased with the outcome.  I will not lie, however, and I will be having a look at a significant expansion of its size.

I correct myself!  Assuming one is not including the action to the East -- which admittedly many do -- our table is very close indeed.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 04:23:26 PM

I correct myself!  Assuming one is not including the action to the East -- which admittedly many do -- our table is very close indeed.

Rats! Was hoping for more maneuvering room...... :biggrin:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners