Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: AD&D 1e  (Read 13828 times)

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #30 on: March 13, 2022, 08:12:48 PM
Speaking of Greyhawk, I picked this up 30+ years ago and never had anyone to play it with.  You guys see this before?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhawk_Wars_(game)

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Double Deuce

• Jr. Trooper
    • Combat Campaigns
Reply #31 on: March 13, 2022, 09:58:14 PM
I run my campaigns in Greyhawk.
Dragon Lance is an interesting setting. There was a period in TSR's history when their developers were really exploring unique settings. Then came Forgotten Realms and most everything else got left behind.

I was never a fan of the Dragonlance setting overall BUT, I did like the bringing in of the Draconians. I reskinned them for many 5e campaigns.

Draconians! I totally forgot about them. How are you distinguishing them from dragonborn?

I use the HarnWorld setting as my base so there is not a dragonborn playable race. I use a concept of Draconians from the "Kang's Regiment", two book series as extremely rare NPCs encroaching from somewhere across the western "ocean". Most of those encountered are only small scouting parties.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #32 on: March 13, 2022, 11:04:25 PM
Speaking of Greyhawk, I picked this up 30+ years ago and never had anyone to play it with.  You guys see this before?

I used to have Greyhawk Wars! I am not sure how it holds up now but I loved setting up the map and counters to solo play the game.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #33 on: March 13, 2022, 11:06:17 PM

I use the HarnWorld setting as my base so there is not a dragonborn playable race. I use a concept of Draconians from the "Kang's Regiment", two book series as extremely rare NPCs encroaching from somewhere across the western "ocean". Most of those encountered are only small scouting parties.

Never heard of Harn World. I will have to look it up. Really like the idea of a unique and rare race to add a bit of flavor and suspense to the game. I need to consider this for my campaign.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #34 on: March 13, 2022, 11:13:41 PM
Tonight's campaign game featured an elusive and mischievous leprechaun who lured the party into a magical portal beneath a pool of swirling rainbow-colored oil. They successfully navigated the tricks and managed to trap the leprechaun. He traded a small sack of gems, a potion of levitation, and a ring of fire resistance for his freedom. It was a lot of silly fun which my older daughters really enjoyed. The wife was tired and mostly confused about the whole affair. She kept asking "I thought we came into the woods to help the Druid gather some mistletoe?" The boys enjoyed it and had some good laughs but were very disappointed there were no monsters to fight...we ended up doing a little battle with some skeletons after the game session to make matters right. :)

Anyway, I am pretty sure this is the first adventure I have certainly DM'd and as far as I can remember played where the main protagonist was a leprechaun. However, Saint Patrick's day is upcoming and the boys and I have been constructing leprechaun traps all weekend. So a seasonal adventure was quite appropriate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 11:17:19 PM by Bison »

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #35 on: March 14, 2022, 05:26:48 PM

I used to have Greyhawk Wars! I am not sure how it holds up now but I loved setting up the map and counters to solo play the game.

Same, I used to have it as well. it was a lot of fun...I played it solo but also played it with a large group of friends. I remember they didn't like it as much but thought it was okay (blasphemy!).

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #36 on: March 22, 2022, 04:55:24 PM
I finally completed my collection of hardcover books for 1e. I found a good condition copy of Manual of the Planes on Ebay several weeks ago and pulled the trigger. I had been searching at used book stores for several years with no success. This is the very first thing I have ever purchased off of Ebay so I also have that going for me. :D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #37 on: March 22, 2022, 05:19:57 PM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2022, 12:43:11 PM
If you're looking for Greyhawk content, the Oerth Journals are all available to download the PDFs for free

https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal/

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #39 on: March 24, 2022, 06:49:54 PM
Nice! Thanks for the link.

Double Deuce

• Jr. Trooper
    • Combat Campaigns
Reply #40 on: March 24, 2022, 07:32:03 PM
If I remember correctly, there is quite a bit of Living Greyhawk stuff out there online, most for free.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #41 on: March 24, 2022, 07:41:21 PM
If I remember correctly, there is quite a bit of Living Greyhawk stuff out there online, most for free.

There is a lot. It's not quite as much as there is for Mystara but it is a lot

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #42 on: August 28, 2022, 08:30:52 PM
We resumed the family campaign today. It had been a couple of months since the last game. The start was a bit rocky getting the party moving again but it got there and did what it needed to do. Set up the party for the next session. I gave them enough XP for the last couple of adventures to make sure everyone's character will be 2nd level. The magic users needed the boost to a second spell slot and the thief becomes a little better at doing the thief skills that the party will need going into the first big dungeon of the campaign. And the 5-year-olds got to get into the act. They are jointly playing the cleric who has no stats just a mace to fight with and a couple of spells to cure light wounds and bless. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #43 on: September 02, 2022, 02:24:49 AM
^  Nice.  Sounds pretty fun, despite the inevitable hiccups that occur when trying corral everyone after a couple months (especially younger ones).  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #44 on: September 02, 2022, 07:30:24 AM
It's madness! Once we get into the groove, we have a lot of fun. But getting to that point can be a chaotic affair.