Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Apple Removes "Afghanistan ‘11” from the App Store  (Read 12646 times)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
on: December 05, 2018, 09:28:20 PM
https://toucharcade.com/2018/12/05/apple-removes-afghanistan-11-by-slitherine-from-the-app-store/?fbclid=IwAR2RhXe_BZ6SvPo-v_qVwiMdTILZZ-vs25Ah1KUrD7hjr6kMLiorhp-hGnA

So much here, but I'll offer these two thoughts:

1.  This is more a problem of trying to create bright-line rules where judgment is called for.  It is a failure of the bureaucratic mentality.   Quote your "book of principles" all you like, Apfel-Kinder, but a single adult with a degree in history and a modicum of common sense would have saved you a world of embarrassment here.

2.  Nobody tell them about "This Guilty Land".  They'd probably faint in a fit of the vapors.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:06:04 PM by Cyrano »

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:44:56 PM
I found this interesting from the comments:

Sorry, lost all sympathy for Slitherine when they told everyone who'd bought many of their previous iOS games (at great expense - many of the games were $20, some with another $50+ of add-on campaigns), that updating their games to work on 64-bit would be hard, so their most lucrative course of action was to screw their existing customers, and not update any of those costly games.

Part of their explanation was, "well, it would be too much work to write format converters for old save games and re-test multiplayer between all the platforms" - fine, so give us an update with those capabilities dropped, but that at least just lets the basic game run single-player with no old save games brought over, and only update the subset of games running on the easier engines to fix - give us something for all the money we poured into the games, to show some loyalty to the customers. Nope, they present it as an all-or-nothing scenario in order to justify not doing anything, and screwing their loyal customers.

I haven't purchased anything from the Apple App store in years so I had no idea this had happened.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:14:06 PM
https://toucharcade.com/2018/12/05/apple-removes-afghanistan-11-by-slitherine-from-the-app-store/?fbclid=IwAR2RhXe_BZ6SvPo-v_qVwiMdTILZZ-vs25Ah1KUrD7hjr6kMLiorhp-hGnA

So much here, but I'll offer these two thoughts:

1.  This is more a problem of trying to create bright-line rules where judgment is called for.  It is a failure of the bureaucratic mentality.   Quote your "book of principles" all you like, Apfel-Kinder, but a single adult with a degree in history and a modicum of common sense would have saved you a world of embarrassment here.

2.  Nobody tell them about "This Guilty Land".  They'd probably faint in a fit of the vapors.

Agreed, particularly with point #1. I'd add that the people involved are likely not Apple employees but rather sub-contractors, and likely off-shore sub-contractors. Who have a minimal understanding of the subject matter at hand. Who are much, much less expensive to employ that said adult with a degree in history. Who also make for much easier plausible deniability when these sort of things happen.

It's worse than the bureaucratic mentality, it's that crossed with the cult of Shareholder Value.

It's also great for driving traffic to Touch Arcade's site and making them lots of advertising revenue.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:20:20 PM
I found this interesting from the comments:

Sorry, lost all sympathy for Slitherine when they told everyone who'd bought many of their previous iOS games (at great expense - many of the games were $20, some with another $50+ of add-on campaigns), that updating their games to work on 64-bit would be hard, so their most lucrative course of action was to screw their existing customers, and not update any of those costly games.

Part of their explanation was, "well, it would be too much work to write format converters for old save games and re-test multiplayer between all the platforms" - fine, so give us an update with those capabilities dropped, but that at least just lets the basic game run single-player with no old save games brought over, and only update the subset of games running on the easier engines to fix - give us something for all the money we poured into the games, to show some loyalty to the customers. Nope, they present it as an all-or-nothing scenario in order to justify not doing anything, and screwing their loyal customers.

I haven't purchased anything from the Apple App store in years so I had no idea this had happened.

I have little love for the ownership of Slitherine. Anything they develop themselves will suffer exactly this fate, they are not going to invest for the long term.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:45:55 AM
I have an old iPhone 6 that is in need of replacement. It's stuff like this and Apple's increasing Draconian control that I'm about to go back to an Android phone. Please recommend a good one for me.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:47:59 AM
I have an old iPhone 6 that is in need of replacement. It's stuff like this and Apple's increasing Draconian control that I'm about to go back to an Android phone. Please recommend a good one for me.  :bigthumb:

I have a pixel 2, and I love it. The XL pixels are a little too big, but the regular size works great.

I am as much of an apple Fanboy is the next guy when it comes to desktop or laptop computers, but I won't touch an iPhone

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:02 AM
I'm eyeing the Pixel 3 (the smaller one) right now.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:59:11 AM

I've had a One Plus for the past couple of years and am very happy with it.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:41:52 AM
Never tried the pixel.  I use a Samsung S9 for work and the kids have S9's, one has a regular one and the other has the XL. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 07:09:12 PM
The thread title is 'Apple Removes "Vietnam '65" from the App Store' but the article is about them removing "Afghanistan 11". Were both games removed?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 09:06:32 PM
Quite correct!

Amended.

Thanks.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 09:58:11 PM
The thread title is 'Apple Removes "Vietnam '65" from the App Store' but the article is about them removing "Afghanistan 11". Were both games removed?

What makes this even more screwed up is that both games weren't removed. So much for a consistent policy.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:11 AM
One might surmise from that that they concluded the Vietnamese were not a "real people" or some such.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 08:17:37 AM
One might surmise from that that they concluded the Vietnamese were not a "real people" or some such.

Maybe the team making the call is based in Vietnam.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:43 AM

I've had a One Plus for the past couple of years and am very happy with it.

I've never heard of the OnePlus. That looks interesting.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy