Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: "Brave Little Belgium " Undone by the Wit of "The Dice Tower"  (Read 36073 times)

Bison

• Corporal
That is sad indeed.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
I've never found any depth of discussion on any topic over at Reddit....

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
He further argued that warfare hadn't change appreciably in 2000 years, so things like order delays in SOW:W were a video game conceit and had nothing to do with historical accuracy in a wargame.

and this is why wargaming will remain a hobby for more mature gamers - a broader scope of historical understanding that youngsters just haven't lived long enough to full grasp

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
I’ve never read anything on reddit.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
I am not uniformly enamored of Compass’ products and QA.

Nor am I, but they are turning out games at a prodigious rate and show no signs of slowing in the near term.

And, clearly, neither GenCon nor Origins is all that interested.  Certainly the vendors themselves are not interested in them.

I appreciate the work you guys have put in at Origins, but having attended recently I can say with some confidence that it is not a wargaming convention nor does it seem all that interested in really supporting the hobby. That said, there are plenty of other cons out there that are more aligned with and supportive of the hobby.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:46:22 PM by mirth »

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
….
On a side note: I don’t understand the COIN games are not war games sentiment.

ACK! Do not open that can!!!!  :doh:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
RE: Reddit - It enjoy browsing a few of the subs, but I don't post there and I don't consider it a good source for information or discourse when it comes to gaming topics.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
….

I'm staying out of this one :P

Bison

• Corporal
….

It’s not like I’m suggesting you clip the corners on the wooden bits.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
He further argued that warfare hadn't change appreciably in 2000 years, so things like order delays in SOW:W were a video game conceit and had nothing to do with historical accuracy in a wargame.

and this is why wargaming will remain a hobby for more mature gamers - a broader scope of historical understanding that youngsters just haven't lived long enough to full grasp

I wasn't "mature" when I got into the hobby. I bought my first AH game, Luftwaffe, when I was 14. All it takes is a little reading of history and literally anyone can understand how wrong that young man was. Maybe it's a failure of history teachings at a young age? I don't have kids so have no read on that subject but I know I love history in high school.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
people will scoff at the rudimentary rules of today’s game like many today scoff at games like Gettysburg and Stalingrad.

They won't scoff if they play something like Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov or Operation Dauntless.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:11:17 PM by mirth »

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
That is sad indeed.

Actually, the sad thing was that there was no indication that there was any possibility of discussion. Things were that way, and that was it. It was an argument, not a discussion, and the only thing that mattered was winning. He was right, period. A quick review of his (one year old) comment history showed that every comment he made was in that vein.

Which is the problem with online discussion in general, and online discussions of wargaming specifically. That's the problem with a large segment of what you find on Youtube, Facebook, or Reddit about wargaming or specific games.  People don't want to talk about their hobby, they want you to agree with their opinion on their hobby. I find it's a complete waste of time to frequent those venues anymore. It's the same type of people I keep running into at Origins.

I'm much happier sitting down every Thursday with my regular gaming opponent. We play, we discuss the game, we discuss the hobby (we are both involved as designers/developers), and we have an enjoyable time. I'd love more of a "club" environment where multiple people did the same regularly.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
I appreciate the work you guys have put in at Origins, but having attended recently I can say with some confidence that it is not a wargaming convention nor does it seem all that interested in really supporting the hobby. That said, there are plenty of other cons out there that are more aligned with and supportive of the hobby.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy

I wasn't "mature" when I got into the hobby. I bought my first AH game, Luftwaffe, when I was 14. All it takes is a little reading of history and literally anyone can understand how wrong that young man was. Maybe it's a failure of history teachings at a young age? I don't have kids so have no read on that subject but I know I love history in high school.

I think part of it is a failure of teaching history in those early years. I know I really didn't like history until my college years. The teachers who taught me before then did not seem to care about the subject at all.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
... I'd love more of a "club" environment where multiple people did the same regularly.

Jim's doing a fine job with Saturday Night Fights to create just that.