Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Abandoned Places  (Read 3431 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: April 28, 2020, 09:05:44 PM
Lately I've been on an 'urban explorer' kick - not actually doing this, mind, but reading tons of blogs and checking out YouTube channels of people that do this kind of thing.

http://desertedplaces.blogspot.com/p/index.html is one that has fascinated me lately.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:18:57 PM
Very cool BC.  :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 06:37:20 AM
There are a few in the English Channel which fascinate me. Some have been turned into luxury hotels.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 07:49:21 AM
 I love that stuff! Lots and lots of material online to keep us happily occupied.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:53:14 AM
I swear this thread was already posted somewhere. Ah well, my favorite site for abandoned places was Opacity. I don't think it's updated any more but there are some really cool photos there.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:07:25 AM
The Land of Oz theme park in NC isn't abandoned.  It opens seasonally for a few weekends at a time. It's not a full-on park experience, but it's not abandoned

Large chunks of Ft Ord in CA are still abandoned and kind of neat for an urban explorer.  Some parts are still in use by the military, but others - especially the older housing areas and temporary training barracks that don't meet earthquake codes - are awaiting demolition.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:17:22 PM
There are a few in the English Channel which fascinate me. Some have been turned into luxury hotels.

I want that for my lair. Come and get me, 007.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 12:24:55 PM
We should get this place for the next ACD convention............if one of us could just win the Lotto...................

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 05:36:42 PM
I love stuff like this. I could lose hours on pages like these.

I follow these guys

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73dVtWf9mpjiWYkXyIlm7A/videos
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:38:48 PM by judgedredd »

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 07:56:02 PM
The Land of Oz theme park in NC isn't abandoned.  It opens seasonally for a few weekends at a time. It's not a full-on park experience, but it's not abandoned

Large chunks of Ft Ord in CA are still abandoned and kind of neat for an urban explorer.  Some parts are still in use by the military, but others - especially the older housing areas and temporary training barracks that don't meet earthquake codes - are awaiting demolition.

When we were stationed at Vandenberg AFB, I explored a number of empty tracking stations and the like tucked up on top of hills and easily accessible. What's funny is that, at the time there were no signs telling folks to stay out or that the area was in any way restricted. In fact, the easiest way to access them was through the family picnic area. Better yet, the view at night was spectacular due to the lack of artificial light sources. Vandenberg had quite a few other abandoned buildings and areas which were marked restricted and I wasn't as brave with them.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.