Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: LnLP World at War Series reboot  (Read 184374 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #645 on: June 03, 2020, 07:42:18 AM
For some board games I use small, semi-clear plastic chips like the picture below to mark units that have move/fired, etc. You can find them dirt cheap in mass quantities. They are clear enough to see the information (and color if you use the right chip) on the counters below them.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #646 on: June 03, 2020, 07:50:56 AM
I've just looked and noticed that there's an option to use a small version of the Ops Complete. You have to edit the module and select nthe properties for the Ops Complete counter.

I didn't see any option for the Out of Command counter.

I don't know how else to get to the graphics resources...I assume they're in the vmod file?

If you change the extension from .vmod to .zip you can use any zip file handler to view he contents. All the graphics are in a folder called "images". I'd just go in there and resize all the counters I wanted to be 1/2 sized.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #647 on: June 03, 2020, 08:04:45 AM
Cheers  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #648 on: June 03, 2020, 08:05:00 AM
For some board games I use small, semi-clear plastic chips like the picture below to mark units that have move/fired, etc. You can find them dirt cheap in mass quantities. They are clear enough to see the information (and color if you use the right chip) on the counters below them.

Good tip - thanks

judgedredd

Reply #649 on: June 04, 2020, 05:18:47 PM
How do you have the space for The Defence of Frankfurt? I can literally fit 2 on my wee map board and the rest of the space is used for counters, PACs etc

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #650 on: June 04, 2020, 05:28:36 PM
This my setup, 4ft X 8ft Gaming table with scenario 2 from Defence of Frankfurt running.
Charts and rule book live on the stools while I stand and walk around the table to play.

judgedredd

Reply #651 on: June 04, 2020, 06:06:31 PM
 :bigthumb:

An error that has thrown me on every game.

14.7.2 - Strike Procedure...
In the manual it states
Light & Heavy Armor roll only for defensive Bonuses for terrain type (see 10.6.8) and concealment (see 10.6.13). They do NOT use their Armor/Save value but instead take an additional 1d6 Defensive Bonus, subject to the Maximum Defensive Bonus (see 10.6.14)

However, that threw me because I was unsure what to use as the Save value as it clearly states you don't use the Armor/Save value. I've been rolling on a 6 because the manual states NOT to use the save value! (and errata doesn't correct it)

There is no amendment for this in the Errata...but it is different in the online manual.

• Light & Heavy Armor do NOT
use their Armor value (though
they do use their Save value
) but
roll only for Defensive Bonuses
for terrain type (see 10.6.8) and
concealment (see10.6.13). They
also receive an additional 1d6
Defensive Bonus, all subject to the
Maximum Defensive Bonus (see.
10.6.14)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #652 on: June 04, 2020, 08:34:08 PM
This my setup, 4ft X 8ft Gaming table with scenario 2 from Defence of Frankfurt running.
Charts and rule book live on the stools while I stand and walk around the table to play.

Showoff!

judgedredd

Reply #653 on: June 05, 2020, 01:28:53 PM
Do you play with the Solo Assistant?I often find myself (more often than not) using my judgement call...as it says in the manual. For example, following the rules, I had a whole formation sitting going nowhere because the Allies had a helicopter hanging around. Eventually I used my "judgment call" and determined that they wouldn't be sitting around trying to fire at this thing (they were tanks and APCs - not AA units, so their attack value was severely limited) - they'd be heading for cover.

I'll be honest - I'm not feeling the love for the Solo Assistant in this particular game. In LnL Tactical, I found it superb. But like I said - I seem to be employing my judgement more often than not. It kind of makes me resent even wasting the time to pull the card and check. I'd rather just say "Does that unit know those forces are there? No, then move down the road" or "That's a helicopter and it's killing us - lets GTF out of dodge".

Also - I measured my table and I can't even fit the Defence of Frankfurt on my dining room table  :'(

Have you tried the campaign system yet with The Drive on Giesen?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #654 on: June 05, 2020, 01:58:33 PM
Do you play with the Solo Assistant?I often find myself (more often than not) using my judgement call...as it says in the manual. For example, following the rules, I had a whole formation sitting going nowhere because the Allies had a helicopter hanging around. Eventually I used my "judgment call" and determined that they wouldn't be sitting around trying to fire at this thing (they were tanks and APCs - not AA units, so their attack value was severely limited) - they'd be heading for cover.

I'll be honest - I'm not feeling the love for the Solo Assistant in this particular game. In LnL Tactical, I found it superb. But like I said - I seem to be employing my judgement more often than not. It kind of makes me resent even wasting the time to pull the card and check. I'd rather just say "Does that unit know those forces are there? No, then move down the road" or "That's a helicopter and it's killing us - lets GTF out of dodge".

Also - I measured my table and I can't even fit the Defence of Frankfurt on my dining room table  :'(

Have you tried the campaign system yet with The Drive on Giesen?

I haven't tried the Solo Assistant yet. Just playing each formation as it comes up. I have overall plans for each side but that is just a narrative in my head. The chit draw systems lets me dod the best possible at that moment for the formation drawn.

I have not tried the Campaign yet. Maybe you and I could do a Forum Play game of it. Keeping some info secret and let the others follow along and kibitz.  :D

judgedredd

Reply #655 on: June 27, 2020, 06:16:32 PM
I'm so glad I picked this lot up for (about) £130 on Kickstarter!

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #656 on: June 27, 2020, 06:35:37 PM
Yep!  :bigthumb:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #657 on: June 27, 2020, 06:40:44 PM
+100  :applause:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

judgedredd

Reply #658 on: June 27, 2020, 06:49:46 PM
And it is such a good game. I'm really looking forward to going back to it - and whilst I love new games,  they get in the way of classics.

That's why I can't understand why I buy alot of games. I have some crackers

Combat!
World at War '85
LnL Tactical - several editions...Vietnam, WWII, Day of Heroes, Falklands
Company of Heroes
Phantom Leader

and yet - it's just not enough. Why do we behave like this? I like those systems I have. I don't really think they're lacking anything or that I'm gaining anything else (apart from a new procedures with new rules and new components) by getting new games. It's not like the new games I get are going to enhance my gaming much more than I already have with my current selection.

Why - why do we do it? Serious question.

I've pretty much got a decent mix of games that I'm very happy with and anything else I'm looking at (for example Front Toward Enemy, The Last Hundred Yards and Old School Tactical) will provide different components, a different sequence of play, different tangible qualities and different mechanics (albeit - sometimes very limited in difference).

In fact furnishing myself with other games simply reduces the quality of the games I already have - and almost very superficially.

judgedredd

Reply #659 on: June 27, 2020, 07:01:28 PM
oh - and on the back of that post I've just bought Old School Tactical Vol III and Hell Bent!!

I mean - what is wrong with me...these are just new systems to work out and engage with - taking me away from the already familiar!!

IO could forgive myself when I bought LnL Tactical Falklands...and then bought LnL Heroes of the Nam and then Day of Heroes - they are all the same system with small nuances....but buying into a new game mechanic altogether just seems fruitless.

I am ill  :-[