Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: World at War WW II  (Read 3225 times)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
on: December 11, 2019, 05:36:01 PM
Are the World War II games Stalin's Triumph and White Star rising, kind of the same game as the 85 game? Just see them on eBay for 54 bucks brand new, wondering if I should dive in (since I missed the Kickstarter for 85). Why am I looking at these games, I've yet to punch the counters on Holland 44 and i have no one to play with!!!  :idiot2:

Darn ArmchairDragoons (a bad influence)!!!!

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 06:08:48 PM
Same style of games. Both series are platoon-level. Basically, WaW is the modern equivalent to NaW.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 06:17:39 PM
I think the rules were  extensively revised after the change of ownership at LnL.  I have not played the new version.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 06:21:04 PM
I think the rules were  extensively revised after the change of ownership at LnL.  I have not played the new version.

They were. IIRC correctly, they had an easier time with Nations at War than World at War. You may be able to update older versions of NaW to the new standard, but that won't be possible with WaW. This is based on my recollection of  a two year old conversation I had with David Heath at Origins, so I may be completely wrong.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 06:22:33 PM
Other than one time playing the old version of White Star Rising, I have not played Nations at War. I played the old version of WaW many times and still own several games from the series.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 06:31:10 AM
Are the World War II games Stalin's Triumph and White Star rising, kind of the same game as the 85 game? Just see them on eBay for 54 bucks brand new, wondering if I should dive in (since I missed the Kickstarter for 85). Why am I looking at these games, I've yet to punch the counters on Holland 44 and i have no one to play with!!!  :idiot2:

Darn ArmchairDragoons (a bad influence)!!!!

White Star Rising and Stalin’s Triumph, Nation’s at War series, are fun fast playing platoon level games. You can download the rules from the LnLP website and get the VASSAL module and try the intro scenarios to see if you like the system.
They are good intro level games for the scale.

DO IT!

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners