Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Research: looking to interview people who played wargames in the 1970s  (Read 7406 times)

caylott

• Fresh Recruit
Hi! I had a chance to interview Brant for my thesis project, and he very kindly suggested I come over here to look for more sources. Perhaps you will be one of them?

As I mentioned in my introduction thread above, one of the hats I wear is "grad student" at Tampere University's game studies program. I'm in the early stages of what seems like it will be a master's thesis on wargamers and wargaming communities of the 1970s. Since I started playing wargames myself around then, this is a subject near and dear to my heart, and researching it is probably some kind of mid-life crisis.  :)

Anyway. My thesis is built around talking with people who were playing wargames back in the 1970s, whether they were part of an organized play community, playing with a few friends, or (as I was) mostly playing solo. I'm looking at how people were introduced to wargames, how they played and collected games, who they played with, and how their experiences with wargames have changed in the decades since. It's still early so I'm not sure what I'm going to find, but some interesting patterns have already started to emerge.

If you were playing wargames and/or involved in the hobby game industry during the 1970s, I'd love to hear from you and set up an interview. You should be able to email me through my user ID, and I can give other links if needed and appropriate. The interview would be about 30-60 minutes long, recorded if you're okay with that, over Skype or regular phone. I live in Finland, but my schedule is flexible and I have the tech to do interviews however or whenever it's convenient for you.

This is a long-term project so we can set up a talk now, in a few weeks, or in a few months. If you know someone who might be a good source, I'd also be interested in getting in touch with them.

Thanks for your time and I hope we get a chance to talk!

Best wishes,

Chris Aylott

(edit: added link to intro thread)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:26:40 AM by caylott »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
I've been playing wargames since around 1966.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
I've been playing wargames since around 1966.

Started late in life, eh? 🤪

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
I was doing mini's before that - mainly because that's what there was back then, more-or-less.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
I got into Wargaming in my junior and senior years of High school. 1979-1981.
There was a war-games club that met after school and I joined after seeing them set up at the end of the day. I'd had to stay after for detention and walked by the room they were in on my way out.
I was curious so I went inside to talk to them. After HS I didn't touch another war-game until I stumbled across  my 25 year old copies of PB and RW in storage and put them back on the table.
Now I have a book case and a half worth of games.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
My first wargame was Luftwaffe, which I bought with my own money from a Toys-R-Us of all places, back in 1977.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
My first wargame was Luftwaffe, which I bought with my own money from a Toys-R-Us of all places, back in 1977.

When ARE you going to get around to finally playing that?  :P

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon

Luftwaffe was my first "real" wargame as well. Saw it on a bookshelf in a house I was babysitting, trying to make some money. Took it down and set it up and was hooked. Used that night's cash to get my own copy.
1979. I was 14.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio

When ARE you going to get around to finally playing that?  :P

Zing!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Hi! I had a chance to interview Brant for my thesis project, and he very kindly suggested I come over here to look for more sources. Perhaps you will be one of them?

As I mentioned in my introduction thread above, one of the hats I wear is "grad student" at Tampere University's game studies program. I'm in the early stages of what seems like it will be a master's thesis on wargamers and wargaming communities of the 1970s. Since I started playing wargames myself around then, this is a subject near and dear to my heart, and researching it is probably some kind of mid-life crisis.  :)

Anyway. My thesis is built around talking with people who were playing wargames back in the 1970s, whether they were part of an organized play community, playing with a few friends, or (as I was) mostly playing solo. I'm looking at how people were introduced to wargames, how they played and collected games, who they played with, and how their experiences with wargames have changed in the decades since. It's still early so I'm not sure what I'm going to find, but some interesting patterns have already started to emerge.

If you were playing wargames and/or involved in the hobby game industry during the 1970s, I'd love to hear from you and set up an interview. You should be able to email me through my user ID, and I can give other links if needed and appropriate. The interview would be about 30-60 minutes long, recorded if you're okay with that, over Skype or regular phone. I live in Finland, but my schedule is flexible and I have the tech to do interviews however or whenever it's convenient for you.

This is a long-term project so we can set up a talk now, in a few weeks, or in a few months. If you know someone who might be a good source, I'd also be interested in getting in touch with them.

Thanks for your time and I hope we get a chance to talk!

Best wishes,

Chris Aylott

(edit: added link to intro thread)

You know Chris, the way this thread is going you could probably just interview us all in here at the same time. Just ask a question and we'll all respond. Probably faster given the time zones and it would be interesting to all of us to see what the responses are as well.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
That makes sense, Vance.

You would make a fine engineer.....................

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Gee, thanks Bob, maybe I'll give that a try.... :go-on:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
But...I've heard you're no good at math.  >:D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon

Pffftttt! Never was. Who needs math to be an engineer?  :whistle:

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio

you see - those are the inside jokes that are going to confound Chris's data collection...   ::)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~