Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Global Shipping & Tabletop Gaming  (Read 9706 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: August 23, 2021, 10:22:46 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 11:11:30 AM
ive seen the 'our prices are going up' announcements get quite visceral on FB

warlord recently announced a very modest increase and the place went up in flames

GW always gets the eye rolls at price rises, and some of it is justified

its a hobby, if its too expensive get out - i liken these people to walking into a Ferrari dealer and complaining you cant afford their goods - no one is making you buy them

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 09:22:37 PM
I don't know. 

Granted, tabletop gaming & wargaming aren't exactly cheap, but there's still varying degrees of affordability.  What do you if something you've enjoyed for years quite suddenly and/or unexpectedly -- and for reasons beyond anyone's control -- starts to go beyond your price range? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:43:32 PM
I have seen quite a few discussions lately like, "I really want that game, but shipping doubles the price..."

I suspect some of those publishers who responded, "we're going to keep doing what we have been" are going to have a shocking moment when they see their sales fall off.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 10:40:07 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 01:49:53 AM
I wouldn't take part in a hobby where the postage for said hobby on the items I bought were unpalatable. I guess "unpalatable" to me will depend on the product.

I really don't like paying postage and that's the main reason I don't buy direct from game manufacturers in the US (or other countries for that matter) - even when they do have a sale on.

If postage gets to a certain point (probably any more than a 5th of the price of a game) then I'm out. Simple as.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 06:17:51 AM
Postage at the retail level is an issue, but not nearly in the same way that bulk freight is right now.

You might see a 10-15% increase in postage.  Hell, you might even see a 100% increase in postage, where package from the US goes from £15 to £30.

But global freight prices are currently exploding by logarithmic values.  Containers that were shipping for $2500 are now costing $25000, and that increase of $22500 could complete sink a small company.

So that increase in postage from £15 to £30 sucks.  But it's not going up to £150.  Not saying that a postage increase doesn't suck, but you'd always have an option to stop at a retail shop some time when out traveling or on holiday, if you end up near one, and take a game or two home with you from there.
Publishers don't have any comparable option to keep their companies afloat.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 07:55:01 AM
Another problem that you don't hear much of (yet) is a serious truck driver shortage here in the States and I think also the UK. That will also push up delivery rates.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 03:55:37 PM
Not to distract from the original topic, but all manner of consumer items and staples in the US are increasing dramatically now.

There is a shortage of chicken wings.

Service-industry labor is in a massive shortage.

All of our costs are going up considerably.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 04:12:26 PM
There is a shortage of chicken wings.

meat-packing plants have been kit hard w/ closures for outbreaks, creating a bottleneck for all sorts of meats

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 05:09:05 PM
All the same here - 100 k drivers short now affecting the pig market where farms are backed up with now overweight pigs that the farmer is fined fur are the abattoir

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 08:07:43 AM
the start of some good news?  or just a temporary blip?

The steady climb to ever-higher rates for container shipping this year is showing signs of easing, at least temporarily.

On the busy Shanghai-to-Los Angeles trade route, the rate for a 40-foot container sank by almost $1,000 last week to $11,173, an 8.2% drop from the prior week that was the steepest weekly fall since March 2020, according to Drewry. Another gauge from Freightos, which includes premiums and surcharges, showed a nearly 11% plunge to $16,004, the fourth consecutive decline.

Ocean freight is still several times more expensive than it was pre-pandemic, and air cargo rates remain elevated too. So it’s anyone’s guess if these latest declines in global shipping costs mark the beginning of a plateau, a seasonal turn lower or the start of a steeper correction.

But investors are taking notice: Shares of the world’s container lines — from the biggest players like Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd to smaller competitors including Zim and Matson — have stumbled in recent days from record highs set in September.

Judah Levine, group head of research at Hong Kong-based Freightos, said the recent softness could reflect slower production in China during its Golden Week holiday combined with power restrictions in some regions.

“It’s possible some reduction in available supply is curbing container demand and freeing up some of the additional capacity that carriers have added during peak season,” he said. “It is also possible that — with ocean delays making it increasingly unlikely that shipments not already moving will make it in time for the holidays — the price drop also shows that the peak of peak season is behind us.”

What’s definitely not over yet is the logjam of ships outside the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, where 60 vessels were waiting for a berth to offload as of late Sunday. The average wait is now more than 11 days, compared with a high of about eight days back in April.

Port congestion is a key reason why Bloomberg Intelligence doesn’t see the market at the start of a downtrend.

Meanwhile, as Bloomberg’s Robert Tuttle reports, the hunt for the ship that may have caused a major oil spill off the coast of Orange County in California is proving to be a slow grind.

The Big Crunch of 2021 is still reverberating across financial markets and the global economy more broadly, prompting downgrades across equity analysts’ estimates for the upcoming earnings season and causing many central banks to start removing emergency stimulus to ward off inflation.

—Brendan Murray in London

from Bloomberg
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-10-11/supply-chain-latest-container-shipping-rates-are-drifting-lower

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 01:45:38 PM
Yeah, the current shipping shitshow is an absolutely nightmare across the board.

I work at a company that installs security systems. I'm spending insane amounts of time right now on product procurement, because good luck finding equipment right now. Everything is backordered. We're almost to the point of having to postpone some big install jobs because we simply can't source the gear for them. Those are fun customer calls (that I luckily don't have to make).

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 10:22:47 AM
 :notme:

“What me want to know is: What are the implications of supply-chain crisis for cookie?”
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:31:44 PM by bayonetbrant »

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 12:34:39 PM
 ???

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners