Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Is it possible to do co-op campaigns in the newer Total Wars?  (Read 9664 times)

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
I've seen my son doing MP battles a lot, but he texted me today that you could do campaigns? Is this true, if so that's pretty cool?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:51:56 PM
No idea - I stopped playing the TW games after Fall of the Samurai  ;)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:53:49 PM
I've never done MP at all, but I bought it for a friend at work for going away present.. figured, it would help train him if I could co-op (didn't realize that was allowed when I bought it).

I'm loving Attila right now, it's tough though. I really enjoyed Rome II as well, you should give them a try next sale Bob!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 02:12:27 PM
I do actually have Rome II but not played it very much.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 03:07:02 PM
Depends what you mean by "co-op".

Any of the MP campaigns (Empire (BETA) and on) can be played cooperatively...just don't fight each other.

Shogun 2, however, had purpose-built co-op scenarios.  I confess I cannot recall as I stand here whether the others have followed suit as I've never felt I needed them.

One thing to note, though, is that all the Campaign MPs, up to and including Warhammer, have struggled a bit with de-sync issues.  Playing Napoleon and Warhammer campaigns in MP, though, is a gooood time.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 03:55:21 PM
After posting here, I googled, and I saw that you can even fight the battles in the campaign together, the guy that starts or is in the battle, just has to 'gift' units for their partner to control. Sounds cool. Yeah, I would love to try that in Napoleon too.. I wish they would remake Empire or Napoleon, the campaign play is way to old feeling on those now.

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:27:06 AM
I would love the TW games to get true multiplayer. Everyone chooses a faction and off to war we all go; the overworld strategic map affairs could be turn based, PBEM ready and when you clash with a fellow human player you can do a real time battle, or perhaps get a hybrid version like Dominions or Combat Mission have, where you set orders up front and then the game plays that out (in phases).

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:29:08 AM
Yeah, that would be good fun. Me and a buddy used to play the original Combat Missions by pbem and had some great games that way.

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 10:49:59 AM
I still find CM PBeM one of the most exciting multiplayer experiences!

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 11:17:21 AM
+! X 2

I regretted it when the file sizes got as big as they did, but they're still special experiences...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 07:24:05 AM
I actually tried it with my friend last Saturday, and it worked great! Game de-synced once, but just used the autosave to start it back up. We even did one of the battles together. He said that he learned way more in 15 minutes with me, than spending a few hours on the tutorials.