Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: GURPS  (Read 6413 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: October 07, 2019, 05:11:10 PM
Anyone (Brant, Bison?) familiar with this system? I'm looking for a D&D type system that supports solo play if possible.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:11:13 PM
I am a little bit. I have solo played with GRUPS. Of course, I think I can play just about any boardgame/RPG solo.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:15:32 PM
Thanks, Mike. Yeah, solo is the way most of us are forced to play most of the time.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 06:16:04 PM
I will also recommend Geek Gamers on Youtube. An excellent source for tips on playing RPGs solo.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 06:19:18 PM
I'll check that out :bigthumb:

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 06:54:29 PM
I would almost recommend the UK Steve Jackson's fighting fantasy series ahead of GURPS.

I get that they just look like "choose your own adventure" books, but they are actually a pretty decent read and an enjoyable experience

GURPS is *very* crunchy and number-heavy. The Hero system is a little lighter, but not too much.  Have you looked into RPG-inspired boardgames like the Pathfinder Adventure Game or the D&D boardgames,?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 07:54:35 PM
Well I guess it depends on what you are looking to do. Personally, I’m not sure I could do an RPG solo. Which probably isn’t true since I do test adventures but mostly just the combat encounters.

There are a number of free or low cost RPGs systems in many genres. I’ll advocate again that Basic Fantasy is a great fantasy system. It’s free and has tons of community made content. Adventures, new races, classes, spells,
 etc.... basicfantasy.org Give it a try. The worst case scenario is you don’t like it and are out exactly zero quid.

I’m not a fan of GURPS. It’s a spreadsheet game. I never enjoyed the character creation system. But maybe you enjoy that sort of thing I don't know.

If you want a generic system, I would consider the Cypher system from Monte Cooke games. I really, really like Numenera. But any his new games are compatible Cypher, Numenera or the Strange.

So I guess it comes back to what are you looking to do?

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 08:50:33 PM
Eh, you can keep GURPS from becoming a spreadsheet game. I do agree that character creation is a bit wonky. I haven't played it but Basic Fantasy does look good.
There's also the new Wendy's RPG that is also free.  :P

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 06:34:31 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. To be honest, I'm not totally sure where I want to go with this.

In years gone by, I've played the 'old style' paper-and-pencil' D&D and a couple of board games, such as Hero Quest and Sorcerers Cave and thereafter, lost touch with the genre other than PC games, such as Skyrim.

To some extent, I'm motivated by seeing new stuff that i see folks talking about here, many of which either way too expensive for me, or maybe not available yet locally.
I've been pretty captivated by games such as Gloomhaven, and more especially, Middara, which looks very intriguing.

Anyway, I know some of you are well versed on these types of games, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 07:22:23 AM
One thing you could look into Bob is Fantasy Grounds. There is a really active online rpg community there. Many GMs own a copy of the game that lets anyone with the client including the demo play online. You may find a group that has a regular scheduled game or does one shot games at a time that works for you.

There are also a number of games like this https://www.wargamevault.com/product/280863/Five-Leagues-from-the-Borderlands-2E?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_0_40013_0

At wargamevault. Solo games generally low cost and require some bits and bob to stand in for miniatures if you don’t have any. Fantasy story based miniatures games. Or you maybe able to find a good deal on some used 4e D&D books and do something similar.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 07:31:39 AM
Thank you, Bison; that gives me something to explore.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 08:28:26 AM
There's a system called Tunnels and Trolls that has tons of solo modules to it. I had bought it when it was on sale over at Drive Thru RPG, super cheap and about 30 or so PDFs to it. Might be on the look out for that.

I've not tried it yet (big surprise, I know), but the system I've heard is decent and from what I have managed to read, very interesting.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 08:36:24 AM
There's a system called Tunnels and Trolls

That's like saying "there's a sport called hockey"  :hehe:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 08:37:41 AM
Well, it might be totally familiar to most of you, but I never played it. When I was first exposed to RPGs, DnD was the king, and anything else was just poseur stuff (of course I know better now, but I still never got around to playing it). Part of the problem is not having a gaming group into that sort of thing, or a gaming group period. :(

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 08:39:49 AM
Oh, yes, paper and pencil D&D was the big thing for me too. Mind you, computers weren't around in those days - and before you ask, no - we didn't use parchment and quill pens.....