Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Whats on Your Table?  (Read 179010 times)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #810 on: February 09, 2022, 07:08:45 PM
Those are some nice looking games.

judgedredd

Reply #811 on: February 10, 2022, 02:11:36 AM
One of these days I might get Combat!, i've heard divergent opinions which is usually a sign of an interesting system.
It definitely throws a loop in there now and again that makes you wonder.

Example - I had a German soldier pull an Aimed Fire order - and the order had a G next to it meaning if there was an Allied unit within 4 hexes and the German unit passed a Troop Quality Check, it got a Grenade command instead of an Aimed Fire command. There was an Allied unit within 4 hexes and he did pass his TQC - so he got a grenade order.

Good right?

Only the Allied unit within 4 hexes of it had a Sprint order meaning the German's grenade was going to be ineffective - the Allied unit would be 7 hexes away by the time the grenade went off. It didn't make sense to me since I knew the Allied unit was going to Sprint and knew the better option was the Aimed Fire order for the German unit.

But then I thought - he doesn't know the Allied unit is going to sprint out the area...he just knows there's an Allied unit there. So because I have all the information, I think the order makes no sense - but it does actually make total sense.

I had another order assigned to a Sniper in a building - it was Hide. Again...not particularly sensible...but he could be a bit of a yellow belly...or maybe he was hiding to try and lure the Allied unit closer.

All these things that "make no sense" actually often can be explained away by just forgetting what the Allies are doing and think about the order purely from the German perspective and also just thinking real world...

Honestly, I think it's a superb system. Yes, for the cost the components aren't great (the maps creases really show (white) and I've not had it out for ages) and the rules are pretty poor and you definitely need the latest set  - from BGG, not Compass Games (though I've even heard there's an issue or two with them). Also the designer is very active on the BGG forums...even for this system...not just on the Volume II forums.

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #812 on: February 10, 2022, 03:37:26 AM

Honestly, I think it's a superb system

Thank you, I understand what you meant. I do try to visualize the battle unfolding in real time and not just a game of stuff moving in sequence so a lot of weird rules for some can make sense for others.

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #813 on: March 19, 2022, 11:59:22 AM

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #814 on: March 19, 2022, 01:50:00 PM
^ Is there a Neubaufahrzeug unit counter?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #815 on: March 19, 2022, 03:18:03 PM
Double size?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #816 on: March 19, 2022, 07:20:59 PM
The boys and I played some Memoir 44. Fighting from cover is not a tactic they have embraced yet. They are more fix bayonets and charge tacticians. :D

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #817 on: March 19, 2022, 07:21:32 PM
The boys and I played some Memoir 44. Fighting from cover is not a tactic they have embraced yet. They are more fix bayonets and charge tacticians. :D

get 'em playing something from Braveheart

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #818 on: March 19, 2022, 10:34:11 PM
Double size?

And made of mild cardboard...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #819 on: March 20, 2022, 06:55:35 AM
Not heavier than 400gsm.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #820 on: March 21, 2022, 03:10:38 AM

get 'em playing something from Braveheart

Well, we are also into Ogre right now which is basically Braveheart...without the Scots and English...and no swords...ok it's nothing like Braveheart.

We won the base game and a big ol' expansion box at a gaming convention several months ago. It's a good simple game for the boys. I enjoy it well enough. The real bonus is it has all the trappings of a traditional wargame with the attack, defense, and movement factors, and a snazzy odds table. So it'll pay dividends in the future.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #821 on: March 21, 2022, 08:58:41 AM
I clipped and re-organized the Ambush! and Move Out! game boxes - I'm actually surprised they both look accurate, inventory-wise. I sold my original copies some time ago before I moved and regretted it greatly. Now I only need the Silver Star and Purple Heart expansions...which cost hundreds of dollars, so no chance there. :( I'm reaching out to a few folks on BGG to see if anyone wants to trade.

I went through my copy of Battle Hymn as well, which looks complete. Both of these games are in very good shape - better than mine. I think I played Ambush! and Battle Hymn so much that the counters were starting to fade.

Now, I have Save Afghanistan, Comrade! on my table - a solo game where the player controls Soviet forces, trying to maintain order in Afghanistan during their occupation.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #822 on: April 08, 2022, 04:15:16 PM
This has been brought back to my attention - so it's out

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #823 on: April 08, 2022, 04:41:03 PM
Excellent, JD  :bigthumb:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #824 on: April 08, 2022, 04:53:47 PM
I have Built For War on my game table at the moment. In this one, you build a tank for your major country during WW2 ('major' in that it's the US, UK, Soviet Union, or Germany), and then fight with them. I had to order an AI deck separately to play it solo, but it wasn't too expensive. And man, the cover art looks just like Panzer Blitz.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)