Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 226756 times)

Hethwill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
    • Hethwill Wargames Youtube
Reply #1035 on: February 19, 2022, 08:21:17 AM
Table is busy with Ottomans and Russian Empire naval action galore ( recording it for the channel )

perfischer

• Jr. Trooper
    • Dark Places
Reply #1036 on: February 19, 2022, 09:28:53 AM
Been clipping Next War: Korea this week and is setting up the first advanced scenario, including all optional rules, to be played solo over the weekend (and probably into next week as well).

judgedredd

Reply #1037 on: February 19, 2022, 12:21:17 PM
Been clipping Next War: Korea this week and is setting up the first advanced scenario, including all optional rules, to be played solo over the weekend (and probably into next week as well).

What is the actual map footprint of that game?

perfischer

• Jr. Trooper
    • Dark Places
Reply #1038 on: February 20, 2022, 04:07:32 AM
Two large maps plus a smaller air display and a tracking display. Don't have the measurements.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #1039 on: February 20, 2022, 11:03:45 AM
GMT has this info on their website. Next War: Korea, 2nd Edition There are two 22x34 inch Mapsheets

judgedredd

Reply #1040 on: February 20, 2022, 12:03:22 PM
Yeah I know - thanks though Tolstoi.

The reason I ask when people have a game is because publishers never (seldom) tell you the actual footprint of the maps Just that there's x maps of x" by x". There's often overlap which reduces, sometimes a map has to sit at an angle...there's all sorts of reason why I tend to try and get that map footprint information from an owner of a game.

I wanted to specifically know about this game because I've been wanting a Korean war game...but I think this might be one I looked into a while back and discounted due to requiring two maps. I had hoped there was overlap.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1041 on: February 20, 2022, 02:02:07 PM
JD, just as a note, if you want a game about the Korean War, this isn't it. NW:Korea is current / near future and not 1951

If you just want a game about a war on the Korean peninsula, then this would fit bill.

Apologies if you meant one or the other, it just wasn't clear from the post you made which way you wanted to go

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1042 on: February 20, 2022, 02:04:26 PM
I still remember the old Victory Games 'Korean War' with fondness. Re issued now by Compass, i think.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #1043 on: February 20, 2022, 05:02:56 PM
JD, just as a note, if you want a game about the Korean War, this isn't it. NW:Korea is current / near future and not 1951

If you just want a game about a war on the Korean peninsula, then this would fit bill.

Apologies if you meant one or the other, it just wasn't clear from the post you made which way you wanted to go
Ah - I have been wanting a 50s Korean War one.

Thanks for the clarification

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1044 on: February 20, 2022, 05:22:29 PM
Pity that the 'new' print version of the Victory Games one, as now published by Compass, has 4 maps! and slightly larger counters. Pity they didn't take the opportunity to tart-up the counter graphics a bit. However, the original was an excellent game.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1045 on: February 20, 2022, 05:36:53 PM
I’m digging a bunker getting ready for when martoks new machine becomes self aware and starts building robots

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1046 on: February 20, 2022, 05:57:12 PM
 :2funny:

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #1047 on: February 20, 2022, 07:12:14 PM
Ah - I have been wanting a 50s Korean War one.

Thanks for the clarification

Okay JD, understood. I have both games and your question made me curious about how much space is required for all four maps for Joe Balkoski's The Korean War. Hopefully this pic will help. Bob48 is correct, there are 4 maps to The Korean War June 1950 - May 1951. For my copy, each map is 22 inches wide by 34 inches. There is overlap when the maps are joined together.

When they are all together, at the widest part, it is 42.125 or 42-1/8". At the longest part it is 70.6875 or 70-11/16". These measurements are a wee bit smaller than what is listed on the Compass website of 42.5" x 71".

Here's a pic of all four maps together:

If you decide to get this game, be aware, my copy has problems with the counters. The die cut is off on most of the counters I received and I'm sure I've waited too long to request possible replacements.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1048 on: February 20, 2022, 07:20:26 PM
There were a LOT of copies of that game with mis-cut counters.  I wouldn't assume it's too late to replace them.  You could've just now bought one off the shelf at a game store and it'd be new to you and still have mis-cut counters.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #1049 on: February 20, 2022, 07:47:33 PM
There were a LOT of copies of that game with mis-cut counters.  I wouldn't assume it's too late to replace them.  You could've just now bought one off the shelf at a game store and it'd be new to you and still have mis-cut counters.

Oh, that's good to know. I'll send Compass Games an email and ask how I can get a replacement set. Thanks!  :bigthumb: