Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Weekend Gaming!!!  (Read 220975 times)

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #1020 on: December 03, 2021, 04:47:20 PM
I have an ASL game lined up.  The scenario is based in the Netherlands on 10 May 1940s, with the Germans attacking the Dutch from behind, and is based on this part of the battle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel-Raam_Line

According to play statistics, this scenario heavily favors the Germans.  Not surprising, because the Germans heavily outnumber the Dutch, and even have two flamethrowers to deal with the pillboxes.  We will roll for sides, and no matter which side I get I will enjoy the game.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1021 on: December 03, 2021, 06:40:55 PM
SDR, fingers crossed for you that the roads are okay tomorrow.  My sincere sympathies on the idiot drivers. 

For myself, it's more Stellaris like usual; as I continue my Aquatics campaign with the amusingly OP start.  I also want to dive into the Adeptus Mechanicus faction in Gladius, and the Humankind demo is admittedly calling me as well. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #1022 on: December 03, 2021, 07:21:00 PM
SDR - you live in Vancouver? I stayed there for a couple of days when we came to Canada. Loved it.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #1023 on: December 03, 2021, 08:40:49 PM
Yup.  Been here for the last 11 years.  It's not too great right now due to the rains from a few weeks ago.  All the road and rail connections to the rest of the country were knocked out.  Most are still closed but a few are now open to essential traffic.  It's like we now have a giant moat keeping the rest of Canada out (or us in).  Feels like we're under siege though as we've been under gas and food rationing since the floods.  It was supposed to be lifted on the 1st, but they extended it until the 14th.  30L of gas per vehicle and 2 packages of meat and 2 of dairy per household  per visit.

judgedredd

Reply #1024 on: December 04, 2021, 04:09:03 AM
I remember my drive through British Columbia going to Vancouver. Absolutely stunning

Sorry for off topic. I just can't help talking about Canada and America when the situation presents itself

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1025 on: December 05, 2021, 03:08:56 PM
Some more play of Solasta : Crown of the Magister for me. Along with a ludicrous and pompous title, it's actually a decent little turn based tactical RPG set in D&D 5th edition. It's helping fill the void as our last couple of in person D&D sessions have been cancelled by life events, though it's missing most of the material added for character creation & development through the system books beyond the basic ones.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1026 on: February 18, 2022, 03:13:21 AM
Feeling a bit burned out on Stellaris at the moment, but that's okay.  Now that I have my new rig fully up and running, I'm going back and firing up some some games that my old hunk of junk didn't run very well. 

First up is Three Kingdoms:  Total War.  Trying out Liu Bei, as his character and play-style feel like a good fit.  However, if northern China proves too hot for my first real campaign, Yan Baihu also looks fascinating (playing as bandits could be fun!). 

Speaking of Total War, I'm also thinking I need to fire up on of the Saga titles.  Haven't decided yet which game calls to me more: Troy or Thrones of Britannia

Galactic Civilizations 3 isn't exactly "new" at this point, but I was only ever able to play it on the smaller maps with my old computer.  Gonna crank up the settings and see what I can get away with now.  :biggrin: 

Last week's podcast also put me in a bit of a Civ mood as well, so perhaps some Civilization IV?  We'll see what time allows this weekend... 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1027 on: February 18, 2022, 08:49:24 AM
I've started playing Fields of Glory II after having it sitting on my PC for a long time without really playing it.

Also, I'm 175+ hours into Gloomhaven and really enjoying it. Took a while to get into it, but now I do like it a lot.

On the table is still 'Assault Red Horizons '41' with a bit of an occasional detour into 'Horse & Musket' again.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1028 on: February 18, 2022, 11:59:35 AM
I've started playing Fields of Glory II after having it sitting on my PC for a long time without really playing it.

Nice! 

I dearly wish the devs would straight-up combine FoG2 and (a new?) FoG:Empires into one game.  I would snatch that up in a heartbeat. 

Also, I'm 175+ hours into Gloomhaven and really enjoying it. Took a while to get into it, but now I do like it a lot.

In your opinion, Bawb, how necessary is it to have played the tabletop version first to fully enjoy/appreciate the PC version?  Could a neophyte like myself more or less just jump in, or would I be hopelessly lost? 

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1029 on: February 18, 2022, 12:10:12 PM
Medieval 2 TW with the Stainless Steel Mod. It's never easy to be the Normans. Not only does everyone call you, 'Norman' all the time but, I just bought my way out of a war with Aragon to make the Pope happy and now the Fatimids show-up in from the east with stacks of armies looking like a Freight Train of Death coming my way. What'd I do to piss these people off?  :(

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

judgedredd

Reply #1030 on: February 18, 2022, 12:21:47 PM
Still this

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1031 on: February 18, 2022, 01:41:28 PM

Nice! 

I dearly wish the devs would straight-up combine FoG2 and (a new?) FoG:Empires into one game.  I would snatch that up in a heartbeat. 

In your opinion, Bawb, how necessary is it to have played the tabletop version first to fully enjoy/appreciate the PC version?  Could a neophyte like myself more or less just jump in, or would I be hopelessly lost?

I have never played the TT game, so I have no idea how it compares, although I gather its pretty faithful to the board game. I would imagine that the BG is horribly complicated to play and that it needs a considerable investment in both time and space. There are few known bugs in the PC version, but I have not noticed anything that caused me a problem. The devs seem to be very active and there have been some substantial additions and fixes to the game since it was released. It does take a little getting into, but once it takes hold, then its a very satisfying game to play.

Tuna and I keep threatening to play an MP game, but its not happened yet!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1032 on: February 18, 2022, 02:09:01 PM
The wife and I finished the tabletop version after about a year and a half of play. She loves and still plays the PC version and says it's pretty much the same game.
As Bob said, you need time and space (Dr. Who?) for the physical copy. If you don't have that go for the digital version.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1033 on: February 18, 2022, 04:06:07 PM
Thank you, gents.  Sounds like I ought to go with the PC version.  :) 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1034 on: February 18, 2022, 04:47:26 PM
I was fortunate to pick it up in the launch sale about a year ago, so got it really cheap. There is a new DLC due out soon as well. :-)