Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The PODCAST now known as "Mentioned in Dispatches" !  (Read 194975 times)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #615 on: February 12, 2022, 07:00:49 PM
Thanks! Maybe we'll see who else wants to start a game soon. Now to get some answers from Brant, MD and OJ  :)

New thread opened up

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=4055

:bigthumb:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #616 on: February 13, 2022, 02:01:11 PM
Mentioned in Dispatches -  Season 8 Ep 2
Civilization-series games

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-8-ep-2-civilization-series-games/

Fantastic episode, gents.  :rockon: 

I'm not sure why I've never really gotten into the Civilization-type 4x games.  I have a feeling it might be that I simply discovered space 4x games first, and then just never got around to the former (a bit of Civ4 notwithstanding). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #617 on: February 18, 2022, 08:01:12 AM
Mentioned in Dispatches Season 8 Ep 3 ~ Professional Wargaming at the Center for Naval Analysis

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-8-ep-3-professional-wargaming-at-cna/

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #618 on: February 20, 2022, 11:22:30 AM
Mentioned in Dispatches Season 8 Episode 3
Professional Wargaming at CNA

Great episode of Mentioned in Dispatches. I wasn't aware of the memo sent by Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work back in 2015. After reading the memo, and reflecting on how much discussion/action can be found about wargaming in current open source news and social media, I think the first 5 year goal has been met. It will be interesting to see where the situation is 5-10 years from now.

As always, if I've goofed somewhere, or you know something I missed, let us know. :)

Memo

Memo to Pentagon Leadership on Wargaming - this is the essay by Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work on Feb. 9th, 2015.

Games

Risk (1959)

Axis & Allies (1981)

Flames of War: The World War II Miniatures Game (2002)

AFTERSHOCK: A Humanitarian Crisis Game (2015)

Halo: Combat Evolved - The original, not going to list the entire series.

FTL: Faster Than Light

Littoral Commander: The Indo-Pacific 

Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)

Hedgemony: A Game of Strategic Choices (2020)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #619 on: February 20, 2022, 01:01:51 PM
Really interesting episode. I thought the guests did a great job answer questions and explaining their processes despite of not being able to share many specifics. 

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #620 on: February 20, 2022, 01:30:39 PM
Tolstoi, I will say that you are far more optimistic in your assessment of the Work memo than a lot of people.

There could have easily been far more progress made than there has been so far and it almost feels like the momentum has been slipping for several years until GUWS started raising the profile again

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #621 on: February 20, 2022, 07:44:47 PM
Tolstoi, I will say that you are far more optimistic in your assessment of the Work memo than a lot of people.

There could have easily been far more progress made than there has been so far and it almost feels like the momentum has been slipping for several years until GUWS started raising the profile again

That's me, a ray of sunshine!  :biggrin:

My assessment is probably completely wrong. To name a few, I was thinking of the work by:
  • Brute Krulak Center for Innovation & Future Warfare
  • GUWS
  • Wargame Design Curriculum at CGSC
  • Wargaming being done by RAND
There have been a slew of articles in the past 24 months in the Marine Corps Gazette on wargaming, with a recent series by Joseph Miranda in most issues over the past year. I understand Mr. Miranda's articles also serve as advertisements for Decision Games products. Some may not like that, I can live with it.

My perspective is not broad enough to understand the big picture and I'm a wee bit disappointed to learn Mr. Work's call to action hasn't progressed as much as I had thought.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #622 on: February 20, 2022, 08:54:51 PM
Here's the thing though. Of the four things you listed, the first and second have really only gained prominence in the last 24 months. They are barely older than the pandemic

The third has been around about 5 years but has had a negligible impact on the wider practitioner community.

The fourth has been around since the '60s and we've seen how much of a difference that makes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 02:17:58 PM by bayonetbrant »

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #623 on: February 25, 2022, 02:17:37 PM
Mentioned in Dispatches Podcast Season 8 Ep 4 ~ Operational Level Napoleonic Warfare

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-8-ep-4-operational-level-napoleonic-warfare/

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #624 on: February 25, 2022, 02:41:01 PM

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/podcast/mentioned-in-dispatches-season-8-ep-2-civilization-series-games/

I'm not sure why I've never really gotten into the Civilization-type 4x games.  I have a feeling it might be that I simply discovered space 4x games first, and then just never got around to the former (a bit of Civ4 notwithstanding).

Glad you enjoyed, Martok!  I imagine that many of the mechanics of space 4x games are pretty similar to Civ mechanics: Research, Production, Economy, Military.  So, if you decide to jump in to Civ, you should find yourself on familiar ground.  And hey, one of the ways to win at Civ is to build a rocket ship to take you into space.  So, maybe you just tell yourself that you are a pre spaceflight civ and breaking free from Terra Firma is just the first step to finding distant worlds.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #625 on: February 25, 2022, 05:32:00 PM

Glad you enjoyed, Martok!  I imagine that many of the mechanics of space 4x games are pretty similar to Civ mechanics: Research, Production, Economy, Military.  So, if you decide to jump in to Civ, you should find yourself on familiar ground.  And hey, one of the ways to win at Civ is to build a rocket ship to take you into space.  So, maybe you just tell yourself that you are a pre spaceflight civ and breaking free from Terra Firma is just the first step to finding distant worlds.

This is one of the main reasons I’m looking forward to DW2… the ability to start as pre-FTL space flight and go from there.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #626 on: February 25, 2022, 05:42:41 PM
I might have purposely said, "Distant worlds."   :whistle:

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #627 on: February 26, 2022, 03:39:58 AM
This is one of the main reasons I’m looking forward to DW2… the ability to start as pre-FTL space flight and go from there.

As am I.  I confess that I never took much advantage of the pre-warp start option in the original game -- I think because by the time it was added in the Shadows expansion, I was simply too used to playing with the classic "fully explored/exploited home system" start that's long been the norm in space 4x titles. 

Fortunately, the pre-warp start in DW2 is the default/recommended way to play, and (just as importantly) it's pretty fun.  I'm really looking forward to experiencing it in the release version. 

I might have purposely said, "Distant worlds."   :whistle:

No kidding.  Again, I see what you did there...  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #628 on: March 02, 2022, 10:31:31 PM

Definitely an enjoyable episode, as my wasted hours on Civilization go all the way back to Civ go all the way back to me playing "just one more turn" while I was in college.

I am currently involved in two of the ACD PBEM Civ games, but if any more get started, I would love to play in more of them.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #629 on: March 04, 2022, 01:35:11 AM
Mentioned in Dispatches Season 8 Episode 4
Operational Level Napoleonic Warfare

Whew! I think I'll get this posted just before the next episode goes live. The topic is operational Napoleonic warfare, so that's what I'm sticking to, most of the time. I'm not going to link to games about World War II or the American Civil War. I'm also not going to link to Napoleonic games which are not operational in scale. (Looking at you Grognard Simulations with your Waterloo game set to a scale at the company level.) In some cases, the game might be listed twice. For example, 1807: The Eagles Turn East can be found by clicking on the link for the Zucker 1x games and it is listed separately near the end of the listener's guide. In these situations, the game was specifically talked about, so that's why it gets a link to the game.

Minard's Infographic of the Russia campaign

Source: Wikimedia Commons

Films

Waterloo 1970

Books

The Wars of Napoleon by Charles J Esdaile - I think this is the book Cyrano mentioned; however, I'm not 100% positive. If this is not correct, let me know and I will edit the listener's guide.

Computer games

John Tiller's Napoleonic Battles Series - Normally I don't like linking directly to the publishers website where you purchase the game; however, this is the best list of all the John Tiller Napoleonic Battles series, so this is what you get.

Campaigns on the Danube - Best computer game on this topic!

Miniature and Board games

Snappy Nappy (2009)

Empires in Arms (1983)

The von Reisswitz Kriegsspiel: The Prussian Army Wargame (1824)

Shako: Rules and Army Lists for Napoleonic Wargaming (1995)

Shako 2: Rules for Napoleonic Wargaming (2008)

Le Feu Sacré: Wargames Rules for the Wars of Napoleon, 1792-1815 (2003)

Blücher (2015)

Kevin Zucker's Campaigns of Napoleon series (OSG)This formatting is a direct copy from the Keven Zucker bio page at BGG.

The Library of Napoleonic Battles series (OSG)

Napoleon's Last Gamble: Battles of the Hundred Days (2016)

Napoleon's Last Battles (1976)

The Coming Storm: Quadrigame of the Fourth Coalition October 1806 - June 1807 (2010)

The Last Success: Quadrigame of the War Against Austria, April - July 1809 (2011)

Commands & Colors Napoleonics

Le Vol de l'Aigle (2005) - Flight of the Eagle

Le Combat de l'Aigle (2006) - The Eagle's Fight

Conquerors series, Napoleon 1806, 1807, 1815 by Shakos

Napoléon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 (1974) -1st edition is classic, Columbia Games 4th edition is the one to get.

War and Peace (1980) & the upgraded War and Peace: Game of the Napoleonic Wars (2020)

The Napoleonic Wars (2002) & The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) (2008)

Wellington: The Peninsular War 1812-1814 (2005)

Kutuzov (2008)

Napoleon Invades Spain: Peninsular War, Part I (2021)

Napoleon's Quagmire (2017)

The Struggle of Nations (1982)

1807: The Eagles Turn East (1994)

The Emperor Returns (1986)