Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Steam Deck ?!  (Read 4598 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: July 15, 2021, 02:31:06 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

uh...  can you get the Civ games to play on this thing?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 02:35:26 PM
Its rather expensive, innit.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 03:36:19 PM
Is Steam trying to compete with the Switch? I can see some games working well on this and others, like Tabletop Simulator, not working so well.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 09:44:27 AM
I have played CIV on the Switch. I just found the move from keyboard/mouse to control buttons and the significantly smaller screen size to be annoying. I choose to play Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Diablo 3 over it every single time. Just not a fun experience.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:58:52 PM
I hope it's sturdy enough to not be broken when I throw it against the wall after Rome 2 kicks my ass.  :nope:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 04:09:52 AM
I have played CIV on the Switch. I just found the move from keyboard/mouse to control buttons and the significantly smaller screen size to be annoying. I choose to play Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Diablo 3 over it every single time. Just not a fun experience.

Yeah, I can't see myself playing any sort of serious strategy games on that thing.  The controls alone would drive me insane, nevermind the tiny screen.  I'm guessing it'll be better-suited to more casual and/or action-oriented titles. 

I hope it's sturdy enough to not be broken when I throw it against the wall after Rome 2 kicks my ass.  :nope:

...And it *will* kick your ass if you try and fight battles with those controls.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 09:23:55 AM
Okay, still not sure if Steam is trying to compete with Nintendo and I found out a wee bit more about the Steam Deck.

The Steam deck is truly a hand held computer. According to the Steam Deck's hardware webpage and PC Gamer's brief write up about it, you can install a different OS, such as Windows, (maybe even Apple's OS?) and you can install other programs, such as a web browser.

Nintendo is very restrictive about what you can do with the Switch. There is no official web browser to surf the web with the Switch, nor are there other apps to do things like watch streaming services. Steam is like, "Hey, it's your computer now, do what you want!" Steam even suggests you could install a competitor's game store apps to play games from other online services. With the Steam Deck docking station, (sold separately), that will attach to monitors and televisions, and looks like it has ports for other peripherals, you might be able to play Rome 2 the way you are accustomed to playing.

Steam is selling a very small form factor, (console form factor?) computer to people to allow them to play their games on the go or with their docking station, and perhaps to do other computing tasks too. It will be interesting to see if this is successful and what other computing projects people dream up for the Steam Deck. I can only image the headaches the current chip shortage must be causing Steam.

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 04:18:47 PM
of more interest to me ... can you install TTS on it? and would it be usable? (not too small to have more than just a small percentage of the gameboard available at a time)

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 01:08:19 AM
of more interest to me ... can you install TTS on it? and would it be usable? (not too small to have more than just a small percentage of the gameboard available at a time)

From what I've read, the answer is yes; however, I have my doubts about how well TTS would operate on this tiny computer.  With the docking peripheral, you can attach it to a larger monitor and have a mouse and keyboard attached. There are two USB 2.0 ports and one USB 3.0 ports, so that would be enough for a keyboard and mouse. The main processor and graphic's chip are getting decent reviews and it is still very early days. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 03:29:07 AM
Never could get into hand helds. I think I'm one of the ever reducing population of people that don't use their phones to play games.