Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Screwed on Kickstarter  (Read 4019 times)

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
on: August 12, 2021, 09:57:52 AM
 Well it looks like I have been screwed for the second time on KS. The first time was a PC game called The Mandate.
 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate/comments

Now it appears that I have been screwed by Van Overbay and his game Sea Rovers.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vanoverbay/searovers-an-epic-game-of-true-pirate-history-0/comments

Will it stop me from backing Kickstarters, no. But it will make me more shrewd on what I back going forward. Just a warning for all of you.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 10:06:55 AM
Damn, that sucks dude. I've been lucky with Kickstarter so far (fingers crossed).

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 10:29:00 AM
Damn, that sucks dude. I've been lucky with Kickstarter so far (fingers crossed).

Everything I've ever backed has been delivered, or is still on track to (18 total projects going back to 2012).  Not all of them were game projects, either (Mixxtape, CHIP computer, and a keychain EDC tool)

Some late.

One very late.

Even got one early!

One was late but that was my own fault (I told Academy to hang onto my copy of Mare Nostrum and I'd pick it up from them at Origins instead of mailing it to me in April).

At least 2 things I backed at the bare minimum b/c I wanted to help people out, so that got me the PDFs, but I'm not sure I ever even downloaded them.

Right now, I have 3 'pending' - the reboot of T2K (which I have -zero- doubt about since it's Free League running it), a set of solo RPG books that the publisher cut me a deal on in return for some coverage at ACD once they get here, and an RPG sourcebook that's provided all of their PDFs while waiting for the physical copies to get to them (given the current shipping crisis, could be a while)

So while there have been plenty of delays with the Kickstarters I've backed, I've (thus far) dodged the bullets of things like Up Front, or anything from Ken Whitman.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 10:40:59 AM by bayonetbrant »

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 10:29:37 AM
Only been screwed once on a KS... Up Front!  :censored:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 02:21:25 PM
I've been burned twice with Kickstarter.  It's by no means made me forswear crowdfunding campaigns, but it's certainly made a little more leery of them. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 10:23:52 PM
I've been burned a few times as well, The Mandate was actually one. Also one other computer game while the rest were hardware.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 10:49:07 PM
I backed two that I was a bit hesitant about but I was able to back out and get my money back before they fell apart.  I've had games show up 2 years late and others that promised free shipping only to hit me with a $45 bill after the fact, but they've always delivered so far.  I've got 3 more backed but as I'm out of shelf (and under the bed and behind the cabinet) space, I'm done backing things until I can clear some shelf space. 

I've never really had too much trouble selling used games before, but lately it seems much, much harder to unload games, even at a steep discount.  I even went to a FLGS to try to trade some in for store credit and they gave a blanket "no" to everything I brought in.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 10:38:33 AM
I'm VERY hesitant to back anything on KS, mainly because of the up-front payment for something that takes months to get developed. I get it, they need the money to take it to market, but the horror stories seem to be a bit too prevalent to make me want to do it more often.

I've backed one project, recently in fact, and it was a great buy and a good process. So that's a good start, but I'm not sure if I'll back anything else in there. Lots of really cool projects with tons of great content, but they're so bloody expensive, some of them. Sure you get a lot for it, but geez.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 11:18:54 AM
not gonna lie, though - next time Reaper Minis does another Bones campaign, I'm probably jumping on it

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love