Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Global Shipping & Tabletop Gaming  (Read 9704 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #30 on: November 04, 2021, 07:55:44 AM
not necessarily "The Answer"™ but some good on-the-ground perspective

https://medium.com/@ryan79z28/im-a-twenty-year-truck-driver-i-will-tell-you-why-america-s-shipping-crisis-will-not-end-bbe0ebac6a91

good link, TR.  Those videos are....   just, wow

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #31 on: November 04, 2021, 10:05:34 AM

https://medium.com/@ryan79z28/im-a-twenty-year-truck-driver-i-will-tell-you-why-america-s-shipping-crisis-will-not-end-bbe0ebac6a91

That was interesting.  I wonder if problems with shipping, including higher costs, might wind up bringing manufacturing back to the US?  That would solve some of the transportation problems.  It might also have a net positive environmental impact, although I'm not sure how that would be factored in.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #32 on: November 04, 2021, 12:57:49 PM
That is a really good question. US companies sort of sold their souls to China from a manufacturing standpoint and now we are struggling to pay the devil his due.

I'll leave it at that because we could easily veer off the political discussion cliff with this one.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #33 on: November 04, 2021, 01:05:04 PM
I'll leave it at that because we could easily veer off the political discussion cliff with this one.

thank you

that's greatly appreciated

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #34 on: November 13, 2021, 10:05:55 PM

That was interesting.  I wonder if problems with shipping, including higher costs, might wind up bringing manufacturing back to the US?  That would solve some of the transportation problems.  It might also have a net positive environmental impact, although I'm not sure how that would be factored in.

The problem with that is massive up front costs to bring back manufacturing capacity, combined with then having to train a work force to do it. And then you get to deal with essentially reconstructing the entire global logistics chain from the way it currently exists.