Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Lords of Waterdeep - Computer Game  (Read 6341 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: May 09, 2019, 05:22:01 PM
I played this a LOT a few years back on my iPad. The AI is very challenging and the game is a decent time-waster. Never played the physical board game though.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 04:12:15 PM
Banzai and Airboy: I've been playing LoD multiplayer games on Steam PC for some time now! (I've got both expansions, too.)

Let me know, and I'll add you to my friend list and we can play some games. ArizonaTank (Larry) is playing games, too.

I'll need to know your Steam names, tho.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 04:39:43 PM
I don't have it on Steam - only on my iPad. :(

My name's the same on Steam though.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:37:36 PM
Should still work. I'll test it!

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:39:05 PM
Had to send a friend invite on Steam first. I think. I don't know how you aren't on my friend list already anyway!

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 09:42:21 PM
Steam invite sent to both of you. (Again, don't know how Airboy isn't already on my list! -- in your case, I made sure you were the Airboy who was part of my group already. ;) )

You'll probably see it coming from Sabreman, but it might be from Mikonesesagaman (since Sabreman was already taken and I had to come up with something original as my base account name then use Sabreman as a nickname.)

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 06:28:36 PM
See it on Steam; but Airboy (with or without capital A) must not be your Playdek handle.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 10:56:12 PM
Give me a couple of days - I'm hardly ever on my desktop computer unfortunately.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 09:53:59 PM
My "name" on my profile is Airboy.  My "official steam name" might be auskywolf 

Skywolf was another character in the airboy comics.

Eh, no, user "auskywolf" was not found.

Y'all might have to log in, do a search for Sabreman, and friend me instead.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 10:05:50 PM
Update: I did find "Skywolf"! -- you should check to confirm I (Sabreman) added you as a friend or that it generated a friend request or something like that. Otherwise, I added a different Skywolf and should take him or her off to be safe. ;)

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 08:57:21 AM
Did I notice that you don't have the expansions yet, AB? How about you, Banzai?

They really help out a lot in larger games, and Undermountain doesn't introduce any new mechanics. The corruption mechanic for Skullport requires a little 3D thinking, but it can also be totally ignored by players who simply refuse to do anything involving skulls. Naturally, anything involving skulls tends to be extra-effective, thus the temptation to pick up some corruption to get ahead....  >:D

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 12:31:33 PM
I've no idea how that works. How do you play a game that you don't own?

I mean, I know I can share my games with my kids (whom have their own Steam accounts), but other than that how does it work?

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 01:24:14 PM
Yes, you don't have to play with them. You just start (or join) games without one or both of them.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 01:25:52 PM
I've no idea how that works. How do you play a game that you don't own?

I mean, I know I can share my games with my kids (whom have their own Steam accounts), but other than that how does it work?

I don't understand -- I thought you owned and played Waterdeep (on PC and/or iOS).

If you don't have the expansions, you just can't start or join a game set up to use the expansions, of course.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 01:42:09 PM
I find undermountain to be practically necessary for games with a bunch of people; arguably Skullport, too. Undermountain just adds a few more handy places to place your workers, plus more intrigue and mission cards and buildings you can build. (They have a little beholder on them.) Plus a few more lords to work for, one of which (Blackstaff) rewards you extra points for fulfilling Undermountain missions and/or Undermountain buildings.

I haven't found the new Undermountain things to be broken.

Skullport, aside from adding more missions/intrigues/buildings to play with, adds the corruption (or skull) mechanic. I find it to be interesting, but because the skull mechanic deducts points at the end of the game I sometimes use the mechanic in reverse and stay away from gaining skulls while letting other players be distracted by the temptation to juice the game while adding skulls!

Thus, even if you prefer to ignore the skulls yourself, it can be a good idea to have Skullport just to tempt other players into losing!  >:D (Plus not all of the new skullport cards actually give you corruption. In that sense they're just some extra opportunities to score and shift the game around.)

To wit: Skullport, aside from adding a few new locations and many new cards, adds the corruption mechanic by introducing a limited number of skulls into the game. If players take advantage of special opportunities to gain extra pieces or other extra rewards, they'll also pick up one or more skulls from the sideboard into their tavern. Each skull still in your tavern at the end of the game will count x-points against you; but the cost of having skulls can go up or down based on how many skulls are out among the players, or waiting on spaces to be picked up (which represents how 'corrupt' Waterdeep has become).

If only a few skulls are distributed, each skull counts only one or a few points against you. If most of the skulls are distributed, each skull will count 8 or 9 points against you! (And if you try to do something that would give you a skull, and none remain, then you permanently lose 10 points.) But you can do various things to put skulls out of your tavern: put them back on the skulltrack (reducing the amount of penalty skulls are worth to everyone at the end of the game); or give them to someone else (rarely); or put them as traps out on the gameboard forcing people to pick up skulls for visiting an area (uncommon); or sending skulls out of the game completely (rare) which in effect raises the minimum cost of having skulls at the end of the game.

I like the skull mechanic; it adds a nice level of extra calculation into the game's strategy, whether I'm using the opportunities that give skulls or not. It's admittedly kind of hard to describe.