Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: War of the League of Cambrai  (Read 10839 times)

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
on: September 11, 2018, 09:30:24 AM
There's an interesting post right now on the Weapons and Warfare blog about the War of the League of Cambrai:

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2018/09/11/henry-at-war/

mostly focused on Henry VIII. This is another one of those interesting but often skipped over periods. What's interesting to me about this time is that this is when we start to see the first examples of post-feudal, post-medieval armies, with really effective infantry formations. We start getting arquebusiers and cannon, too. The English are of course still using longbows, and there's a real question as to the merits of longbows over gunpowder weapons.

Most of the battles of this war and Henry's other wars are covered in Tiller's Renaissance. I'd be interested in tackling these with someone PBEM if anyone is interested. I'd also be interested if anyone is aware of any good board game treatments of these.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:46:44 AM
That was a very interesting read, and about a period of which I am woefully ignorant.  Thank for posting it. :bigthumb:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:57:30 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:51:40 AM
That was a very interesting read, and about an period of which I am woefully ignorant.  Thank for posting it. :bigthumb:
+1 good stuff

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 11:25:45 AM
The nearest I have to a game covering this period, other than JTS Renaissance is this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22940/all-lost-save-honour

This was one of my first purchases when getting back into board gaming. Unfortunately I've never played it. I do have the Vassal module for it; I may have to try it solo that way sometime this week.

If you're interested in the period, some other good books are:

Those are just a start - Duffy's Siege Warfare and Oman's The Art of War in the Sixteenth Century ought to be on the list too, but are tough to find - and probably mostly of interest if you really find the period to your liking.

The two other things about this period that are really interesting to me are that this was the start of the Trace Italienne style of fortification, more familiar to most people as "star forts" or "artillery forts."  It's also when the Europeans were rediscovering the efficacy of massed pike formations and as a result started borrowing heavily from rediscovered ancient texts on phalanx tactics and training. Every time I start delving into the details of organization and training for this period I end up also digging into Alexander...

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:12:46 PM
Solo game of JTS Renaissance tonight, the battle is Agnadello. The Swiss are hitting the Venetian trenches amd abatis while the French have moved around their flank and taken the town of Agnadello itself. Movement is painfully slow due to heavy rain and mud.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:17:37 PM
that does look cool

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 10:32:06 PM
I'm using a mod that drops in some of the revised artwork that's not yet been released for the coming upgrade of the game. I really want the upgrade since it allows the 2X zoom view.

I also think I'm going to have to do some scenario editing to add some AI scripts. Agnadello hasn't been bad, but other battles the AI just kind of wanders around, lost. Granted, these games are best when played HTH, but sometimes you just want a solo game, you know?

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 10:33:46 PM
sometimes you just want a solo game, you know?
yep

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 12:06:40 AM
I do not, in fact, know.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor