Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: HUMANKIND  (Read 35561 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #60 on: October 27, 2020, 11:27:41 AM
Appreciate your thoughts, Barthheart

There's definitely some nice-looking systems in this game.  I'm especially intrigued by the notion of choosing between fewer, larger cities, and many, smaller ones.  It makes me wonder if "playing tall" might actually be a viable strategy in Humankind.  (For now, I remain skeptical, but won't rule out the thought entirely.) 

This is easily my most anticipated (PC) game. That is all.

I'm jealous.  The top of my personal list is Distant Worlds 2, which doesn't even have a release date yet.  :( 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #61 on: October 27, 2020, 01:37:54 PM
Yeah, going "tall" in Humankind is different than Civ even.

In Humankind each city occupies/controls an entire territory. You can then build outposts in other territories to access the resources before building cities there. This is nice.
But, these outposts can then be either absorbed into an adjoining city territory, making the city territory larger, or be converted into a city itself.
The larger the territory a city occupies the more spaces/hexes it can develop for resources.

So conceivably, you could build a very large single City-State by just joining all outposts to your capitol. Or build a nation with lots of cities.

Also, units, scouts and military, use up a citizen points from the city they are built in. So you can't build too many with out depleting the abilities of your city. So large cities can grow pops faster an therefore could make more units, but they can only do one thing at a time - develop plots OR build units OR develop the city.

The demo was limited to 100 turns and/or 2 Eras, so it was hard to tell which works better or even if there is a "best" way to play. Probably somewhere in the middle, large central city with smaller outliers.

I can see a very cool balancing act developing.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #62 on: October 27, 2020, 08:38:25 PM
This looks so interesting, I've really got to figure out getting me a gaming rig.  This laptop won't cut it.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #63 on: October 28, 2020, 11:05:13 AM
I'm going to need a new PC as well.  Not just to run this game, but quite a few others too. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #64 on: October 28, 2020, 02:34:12 PM
Sadly, I could say the same about mine, but Mrs B frequently reminds me that her PC is in the queue for replacement first.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #65 on: November 18, 2020, 12:00:03 AM
Explorminate has put out one more video before the Stadio demo becomes unavailable.  Still looking pretty good. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #66 on: November 18, 2020, 06:12:18 AM
How does it compare to the CIV games?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #67 on: November 18, 2020, 06:50:59 AM
Same basic premise. Take a prehistoric tribe, explore the world, learn technology, build cities to claim space, and fight to hold it or take more.
Human kind uses a lot of the same idea that Endless Legends uses for city construction/territory control and combat mechanisms.
They have a different take on evolving your culture through time in that you are not just a single culture for all time. You can blend other cultures into your to become something new.

Really looking forward to it.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #68 on: November 18, 2020, 03:17:09 PM
When you played the demo, Vance, did you get any sense of how far along (or not) the AI was?  I realize the game is still in beta, it's just that Amplitude is a bit notorious among some crowds for having poor AI in their products (Endless Legend in particular gets a lot of flack for this). 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #69 on: November 18, 2020, 05:25:43 PM
The demo was pretty limited but the AI does know how to fight properly. Using heights and combined arms well.
The AI Civs seem to be expanding  and developing well, but again being so limited a scenario one didn’t get to interact with them too much.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #70 on: November 18, 2020, 06:52:46 PM
Fair enough.  Still, it sounds hopeful.  I would also like to think that given this is Amplitude's first "big" game (in their own words), that they'll devote more time & resources to making sure the AI is a decent opponent. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #71 on: December 11, 2020, 07:56:57 AM
 :D

Watch our epic new trailer! Then pre-purchase on Steam and get access to a new OpenDev gameplay scenario where you’ll be playing from the Neolithic to the Early Modern era.

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/748

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #72 on: December 11, 2020, 08:23:10 PM
Well if you hadn't pre-purchased it already, I presume you have now.  ;) 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #73 on: December 11, 2020, 08:24:02 PM
I pre-purchased a while back. Still haven't tried any demos yet.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #74 on: December 16, 2020, 03:19:48 AM
Explorminate takes a look at the "Lucy" OpenDev.   

I have to admit that while I'm still somewhat skeptical (mostly due to Amplitude being the developer), Humankind is looking better and better every time I see it.