Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 69744 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #90 on: May 12, 2021, 05:05:09 AM
Thanks, I finished watching it about an hour ago.  This game is just looking better and better.  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #91 on: May 12, 2021, 02:39:52 PM
As before, Slitherine was good enough to cut up the long video into segments, so here's the part that focuses on DW2: 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #92 on: June 14, 2021, 10:41:34 PM
I do wish Matrix/Slitherine would take a page from Paradox and do more regular updates.  Dev diaries etc.  Doesn't have to be every week, but some kind of regular schedule. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #93 on: June 15, 2021, 02:32:34 AM
I do wish Matrix/Slitherine would take a page from Paradox and do more regular updates.  Dev diaries etc.  Doesn't have to be every week, but some kind of regular schedule.

Agreed.  I understand that all things being equal, Erik & Elliot would prefer to maintain radio silence until the proverbial last minute.  However, I do think they take it too far, and that it actually hurts them more than it helps. 

M/S should be promoting a slow but steady buildup of DW2, not hiding it from the light of day until they're suddenly ready to reveal it.  The game needs -- and deserves -- far greater visibility than it's received thus far. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #94 on: June 16, 2021, 06:07:37 PM
This is at the top of my to purchase list, but it's hard to get excited when the developer/publisher don't seem to be doing anythig to promote it. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #95 on: June 16, 2021, 07:37:00 PM
This is at the top of my to purchase list, but it's hard to get excited when the developer/publisher don't seem to be doing anythig to promote it.

Can't say I disagree.  DW2 is #1 on my wishlist as well, but the complete lack of articles, videos, interviews/previews, etc., is absolutely maddening.  It's not just that Slitherine lacks the resources to market their games effectively, it's like they don't even know how. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #96 on: July 06, 2021, 04:46:12 PM
Erik Rutins has released the first dev diary for Distant Worlds 2.  (It's about bloody time...!)  It talks about their goals for the sequel, and how they redesigned the UI/UX to be more friendly this time around. 

More dev diaries are planned to be posted about every two weeks until release. 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #97 on: July 06, 2021, 05:12:32 PM

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #98 on: July 06, 2021, 05:51:33 PM
I’m still excited for this one to come out.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #99 on: July 07, 2021, 02:30:19 AM
ojsdad:  So say we all!  :rockon: 

I’m still excited for this one to come out.

Oh, me too.  For as frustratingly parsimonious as Matrix/Slitherine has been about releasing info/details regarding DW2, no other game coming out in the next 18 months has me salivating to this degree.  Not even the Master of Magic remake has me this pumped (although it's within spitting distance). 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #100 on: July 10, 2021, 12:22:35 AM
Marco spends about 10 minutes talking about Distant Worlds 2 (starts around the 4:40 mark).  Sounds like the media/hype build-up is finally kicking into gear. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #101 on: July 12, 2021, 03:44:18 AM
Okay, I thought this was pretty damn cool...  While responding to a couple queries/comments on the dev diary, Erik made this comment

I'm glad someone noticed the new camera angles. You can rotate freely on the horizontal plane. The angle you look down at depends on choosing one of the preset angles, ranging from top down, high angle, medium angle (the default), low angle, bridge view (you are "in" the selected ship), trailing view (you are just "behind" the selected ship).

So in essence, it sounds like you'll be able to switch to a couple different camera angles allowing you a birds-eye view of the action, thus taking the notion of roleplaying an admiral/captain/etc. up a big notch.  From a practical standpoint, it might not be a feature I'd use a lot, but it would be absolutely amazing from an immersion standpoint. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #102 on: July 12, 2021, 03:54:58 AM
There is a new game coming out which at last puts you in charge of a capital ship controlling all the different sectors of the ship and the different weapon systems which sounds cool - but not as much as this addition you mention

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #103 on: July 29, 2021, 02:36:21 AM
Holy hand grenades, Slitherine drives me f***ing insane with how they promote -- and release information for -- their games:  After over a week of waiting -- and no communication whatsoever until a few of us started nagging -- it was finally mentioned that the next dev diary won't even be released until a full month after the first one: 

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=5055701

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bash my head against a wall. 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #104 on: July 29, 2021, 09:23:23 AM
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bash my head against a wall.

c'mon now, the wall doesn't deserve that!  :peace:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love