Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Old World (Soren Johnson)  (Read 28431 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: May 06, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
A new 4x game from Epic that a bunch of y'all are playing....

Chat away!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:38:12 AM
Ooh!

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 11:25:43 AM
Yeah, this one's going to be worth keeping an eye on.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 01:17:02 PM
I’m stuck here - I’ve watched a let’s play and am pretty meh but the world seems hyper positive and everyone’s loving the game

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 01:29:52 PM
Is it actually available yet?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 01:31:21 PM
I've got it and have played it for about 6 hours now.
If you don't like Civ style game you probably won't like this.
If you do, then you'll want to check it out. it's got some very cool ideas and subtle changes to the regular stuff.

For example, Units don't have a fixed set of action points. Your civilization has a pool of Orders, that you can increase through various buildings/techs etc., that can be used with all your units... until the unit gets fatigued. So it's possible to have more things to do than you have Orders for. Example, Scouts can do up to 5 actions before they become fatigued. Moving takes an order to move a certain distance, shorter through rough terrain. Want to move the scout farther, go ahead and spend more Orders. But then maybe you'll run out of orders to have a worker build something or your armies move or fight. You can still move fatigued units it just costs an ever increasing amount of orders and sometimes resources.
This is a really well worked out mechanic.

Another thing is the CKII-like dynasty creation and personal relationships in the game with your family, other families of your empire and the leaders of other Empires.

There are minor civs that occupy city sites and you can trade and make war with them. There are also barbarian camps you can make deals with and hire their units.

Other big change is city sites. No more building cities where you want. you need to scout out city sites and build there. A city site usually has 3 or 4 hexes associated with it and you can settle on any of them, the others then become part of your city. Where and how you city initial border form is based on which of the hexes in a city site you settle on. Seems restrictive at first but  quickly becomes an interesting mechanic.

More as I play some more....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
Is it actually available yet?

Yes, it's available in Early Access but only through the Epic Store.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 01:45:44 PM
Thanks Vance - that explains why I can't find it on Steam  :idiot2:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 03:32:47 PM
For some reason I just can't bring myself to join the Epic store.  :-\

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 03:56:18 PM
Nope, same here - Steam has enough temptations as it is.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 04:20:57 PM
I was a holdout but I've made a couple of Epic purchases over the last year and downloaded a few free games. Epic is nowhere as polished a site as Steam and I hardly care enough to learn how to navigate their site beyond downloading my few purchases, but.....eh. I don't feel scarred for life by my experiences there.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 05:01:13 PM
Besides ‘who needs another library’ syndrome I don’t understand the negativity epic get

If a franchise I loved moved there - I don’t give a shit - I’m moving to epic

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 05:09:44 PM
Yeah, that's the main reason. It's the same thing that's happening with TV/movies. Everything is splintering to pieces and I have to subscribe to a zillion different things to the shows I want. More usernames/passwords to remember, more payments to track, etc. We all screamed for à la carte and we're getting hit in the head with it pretty good.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 08:25:42 PM
I've had my eye on this one for quite some time now (back when it was still called "Ten Crowns"), and am excited for it.  The game introduces some pretty neat ideas (and/or combines older ones in interesting ways), and of course I'm a sucker for both 4x and historical strategy titles.  The fact that Old World is Soren Johnson's brainchild doesn't hurt either. 

That being said, I'm waiting until it's available on Steam.  Nothing against Epic, really -- indeed, without them, it wouldn't have been possible for Soren and his team to continue working on the game -- but I don't feel like dealing with yet another storefront.  In addition, that way the game should be nice & polished by the time I pick it up.  :) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 03:36:56 AM
Besides ‘who needs another library’ syndrome I don’t understand the negativity epic get

How long have you got?  Epic are nothing but bad for the marketplace thanks to their practices.  Now, I get that a lot of people simply don't give a shit about the "politics" of the PC gaming market, and that's fine.  But I do care, and I hate Epic.  It's not "who needs another library" either - I have zero problem with GoG, Origin, Uplay, etc (I even have accounts on all three).  I do have a problem with Epic.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:42:18 AM by Huw the Poo »