Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: "Virtual" Connections 2020 Running Thread  (Read 12642 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 03:59:06 PM
Really disappointed in the working groups this afternoon.  20-30 minutes in the education group, and felt like trying to run in quicksand.  Ditched that to hop over to the wargaming innovation group, and it felt like they were finding every nit to pick instead of talking big picture.  10 minutes of that and I was out of that one, too.  By then I was too close to a 4pm work meeting to try my hand at working-group-roulette and just bailed for the afternoon.

The working groups are often an enjoyable part of the conference, but man, the ones today just hurt

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 05:57:25 PM
Really disappointed in the working groups this afternoon.  20-30 minutes in the education group, and felt like trying to run in quicksand.  Ditched that to hop over to the wargaming innovation group, and it felt like they were finding every nit to pick instead of talking big picture.  10 minutes of that and I was out of that one, too.  By then I was too close to a 4pm work meeting to try my hand at working-group-roulette and just bailed for the afternoon.

The working groups are often an enjoyable part of the conference, but man, the ones today just hurt

I was in the wargaming and innovation session. Seemed like the group had met a couple of times beforehand and ironed out the main ideas of a presentation, and then the broader group that was from the conference dialed in and offered some suggestions and tweaks. Working group's aren't a feature at Connections UK, so I don't really have the same experiences you've had...but i thought this model worked. But that could also be due to the facilitators...

"Dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today."

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 06:21:36 PM
Day 4

Overall I thought day 4 went well and that there were several interesting talks, some rivaling the quality of the chats. The session was led off by a COL Boyd (not that Boyd) from the Joint AI Center who spoke about the state of JAIC's efforts...but I thought also offered some good cautionary language and expectation management on how AI can or cannot play into wargaming. Boyd commented that the Data and modeling for AI enabled wargaming doesn't exist (yet). Comments in the chat included Anne Johnson's observations that people needed to be cautious about data collection and curation and that not all data was transferable. Laura Bosco noted that the AI push highlights a rush to get to an answer before really reflecting on what the question should be. Dr Wong argued that we should worry less about trust in AI conversations...and worry more about overtrust.

Peter Williams' (AUS DSTG) briefed about wargaming influence and grey zone operations. It looked like a fairly complicated array of models looking at a bunch of issues across the DIME. There was a fairly healthy chat about whether we understand the nature of influence, with Dr. Wong warning of the dangers of mirror imaging western concepts of influence on non-western countries. Rex Brynen commented that influence is less like a button or a lever and more like pushing on a string. Dr. Wong dropped the mic on the chat with "Building a complex model on a phenomenon you don't understand is the 1,000% solution."

Peter Pellegrino gave an outstanding presentation offering a taxonomy for distributed wargaming (ie, how to do wargames in a socially distant way) in the current era. There was a lot here. He focused on the geographic spectrum, time separation, network classification, and different tools. He noted there was a real risk of the facilitator losing control of various clusters that he didn't have people "in" or overseeing. Great discussion about how the current era and distributed gaming could allow for better practices to game/model C3 friction. Kriegsspiel discussed by some. Also led to the handy quote "SME on SME violence." Stealing that.

Marc Gacy gave a very good presentation on Conscious and Unconscious Priorities in Referee Adjudication. His main areas of focus were on players, characters, story, world, and system. Some key personalities in the community were having issues with trying to figure out where to place the "sponsor" in the dynamic. For me, I found the end of the chat to be highly frustrating because the presentation seemed to be dismissed as relating to the hobby or entertainment areas because of the lack of discussion of sponsors. This is maddening to me, because it suggested that sponsorless games are not professional (this was implied strongly)...which is frankly obtuse and ignores the comments from Jacquelyn Schneider (Stanford).

The final sessions I attended were Turnitsa's talk on the Wargaming Process and Metrics for a Successful Wargame AND Sugden's Preparing fro ML... i flipped back and forth between the two.

Lastly, they had multiple working group sessions today. I sat in on the innovation discussion. That will be outbriefed tomorrow. Also, Dr. Wong is updating interested parties on the status of her effort to establish a network for women in wargaming. I'll sit in on that too.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #33 on: August 13, 2020, 07:03:06 PM
The focus on "sponsor" has one, and only one, perpetual cadence drummer
He was very vocal in this sponsorness in the chat.
It's obvious that he cannot conceive of any sort of professional focused game that does not include an external sponsor (who has zero understanding of what wargaming is and what wargaming does.)

He's also been like that for a decade

Now, it is doubtless shaped by his professional experiences and the challenges he's faced in wrangling these things for a living. But he frequently projects his experiences on the population as a whole in spite of significant evidence repeatedly provided to him to the contrary

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 07:06:11 PM
Marc Gacy gave a very good presentation on Conscious and Unconscious Priorities in Referee Adjudication. His main areas of focus were on players, characters, story, world, and system. Some key personalities in the community were having issues with trying to figure out where to place the "sponsor" in the dynamic. For me, I found the end of the chat to be highly frustrating because the presentation seemed to be dismissed as relating to the hobby or entertainment areas because of the lack of discussion of sponsors. This is maddening to me, because it suggested that sponsorless games are not professional (this was implied strongly)...which is frankly obtuse and ignores the comments from Jacquelyn Schneider (Stanford).

Thank you for the kind words! I looked over the comments after the talk and was mildly perplexed by that discussion. To me, the sponsor and their desires sound like they sit squarely within "story." If sponsor wants a foregone conclusion, that's a classic railroading situation where the points of the story drive the action and outcomes, regardless of other factors.

- Marc

- Marc

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 09:33:02 PM
Welcome to ACD, Marc!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:09 PM
Welcome to ACD, Marc!  :bigthumb:

Marc also joined us as a GM for the virtual assembly. He had the skirmish level Shakos game

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 10:15:36 PM
This is maddening to me, because it suggested that sponsorless games are not professional (this was implied strongly)...which is frankly obtuse and ignores the comments from Jacquelyn Schneider (Stanford).

This was an incomplete thought...I'd meant to add that Jacquelyn Schneider had specifically discussed non-sponsored wargaming during her comments in a panel discussion on Monday.

To Brant's point on the strongest pusher of the sponsor issue...you're probably right.

At any rate, Marc, nice presentation. I'm planning on leveraging your points for some internal work!

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 11:54:09 PM
Thanks guys for sharing your highlights.

Did anyone attend the Slitherine presentations? What was the discussion like (if any)?

... I thought mr Sabin navigated that topic masterfully and made some salient points.

Such as?

Thanks again!
I think Tolstoi summarized them VERY well.
I agree, about the models comment ... it ACTUALLY made it onto my quote board at work!!
I think Mr Sabin suggested that what we should be doing is teaching warriors of the future how to harness the power of AI to do subtasks but the overall strategy and tactics either by red or blue forces needs the human touch.  I do believe he also pointed out that there needs to be preparation for either the chinese or russians integrate AI/ML into their approach in an attempt to overwhelm.
Col Boyd this morning made a similar remark I thought was excellent  ... he said J7/J8 orgs should be focused on using  existing tech to solve the easier issues and leave it to DARPA and AFRL to "look in the dark alleys". 

As he said, we are still trying to solve the problem which board wargamers seldom encounter ... Situational Awareness in true combat still leaves the participants trying to fight the battles with 50-70% (my guesstimate) of the combat situation being unknown or misunderstood.  Wargames designers try hard to hide info ... professional warriors try hard to reveal ...

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #39 on: August 14, 2020, 12:14:35 AM
Okay, so which one of you is writing the core of our upcoming AAR article?

Happy to help shepherd along as the editor, but you guys have been in far more of the sessions than I have, and paying more attention

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #40 on: August 14, 2020, 01:04:55 AM
At any rate, Marc, nice presentation. I'm planning on leveraging your points for some internal work!

I couldn't ask for a higher complement!

- Marc

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #41 on: August 16, 2020, 10:07:42 AM
Okay, so which one of you is writing the core of our upcoming AAR article?

Happy to help shepherd along as the editor, but you guys have been in far more of the sessions than I have, and paying more attention

***cricket chirping sound***

Okay, all kidding aside, I only actively watched 8 out of the 50+ sessions during last week. I don't think that qualifies me to write more than part of an executive summary, at best. I do not feel comfortable writing the AAR. I am happy to collaborate with anyone who is willing to write it.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #42 on: August 16, 2020, 10:14:10 AM
Send over a paragraph or so of your thoughts. I've got someone writing the primary article and about a half dozen people contributing to it

Thanks!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #43 on: August 16, 2020, 10:55:00 AM
Okay, sounds good. I will get it to you sometime this week.  :bigthumb:

Send over a paragraph or so of your thoughts. I've got someone writing the primary article and about a half dozen people contributing to it

Thanks!

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #44 on: August 19, 2020, 07:55:04 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~