Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Post your screenshots! Share your game stories!  (Read 53890 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #75 on: March 12, 2021, 03:23:27 AM
Marienburg has 3 times the armies i have and a standing garrison - its suicide to attack them until theyre distracted by other forces. Whilst pondering the problem the solo cessationsist leader emerges from the forest and attacks - him and whos army? Nope, no army, just him - he fails miserably and dies with the last hope of the cessationists

We recruit the Sons of Sigmar - a band of unbreakable swordsmen - they will hold the centre of every line with Karl Franz

Wandering the lands looking for a fight I trigger the next quest - a rogue Vampire Lord fancies a fight after stealing the silver seal from the Empire - we meet on top of a hill - its touch and go for a while after my missile troops become distracted by 36 huge crypt monsters behind them - once theyre dispatched they can turn their attention to picking off the undead leadership and the flanks of the stinky dead - job done

After roaming the lands looking for an enemy other than Marienburg and becoming desperate we're presented with this dilemma - Talabecland are almost at the point of bowing their heads in fealty and Middenland....... arent - we declare war on the troublesome midlanders

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #76 on: March 12, 2021, 06:09:56 AM
Nice one, 'geek  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #77 on: March 12, 2021, 07:33:27 AM
I finished an ASL game recently.  I was the defending Germans.  My opponent played the Americans, and had to control one of two hexes.  The map was quite large and, since I didn't know which victory hex he would go after, I had to defend across a wide area.  As the defender, I never feel like I had enough units, and the Americans seemed to have plenty of powerful troops, MGs, and demolition charges.

The Americans launched strong attacks on both the right and the left.  The attackers on the right ran into bad luck.  I only had two squads, a leader, and a MMG on that side to defend, but they hunkered down in a building and did a great job holding off the attackers, and nothing really developed there.

The attack on the left was a different story.  The Americans swept through the village and advanced rapidly.  The screenshot shows the action near the end.  The victory hex is the upper left hex, with an LMG and a red counter underneath the stack.  My defensive anchor on this side was an HMG with a good field of fire, but it malfunctioned, then broke, early in the game.  Sigh.  I did have some strong reinforcements coming in on the left, but the Americans cut them down when they entered and decimated them before they could do anything.

On the last turn, the Americans pushed towards the victory hex.  They tried to place a DC on a fine stack of elite Germans (this is shown in the screenshot), but the American squad couldn't survive the defensive fire, so the DC was not set, and they fell short of the victory hex.  Close, very close.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #78 on: March 12, 2021, 10:44:08 PM
@Undercovergeek:  Taking it to Toddy!  Most excellent.  8) 

@trailrunner:  Nice.  Sounds like a satisfyingly tense battle all the way to the end.  :) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #79 on: March 27, 2021, 04:28:46 PM
After saving Stirland from a Skaven attack their fealty crosses the magic 10 number and they offer to confederate - the Emperors lands double over night - the bad news is we now border the Vampire lands and theres 2 extra armies i need to cull to rebalance our books but this is godd news all in all

Meanwhile in Middenland, we blow right through Carroburg and take Weismund after a huge battle that i got so excited about i forgot any shots - needless to say my 1500 versus their 2500 but we won - after resting to replenish we march east and stand at the walls of Middenstag - its empty

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #80 on: March 27, 2021, 11:00:43 PM
Whoa, Middenstag is empty?  Where the heck is Toddy at??  Surely he didn't just abandon his own province.  ??? 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #81 on: March 28, 2021, 05:26:45 AM
He escaped with literally a scrap of his life from the battle of Weismund - there’s one province left Middenheim? The capital, I’m guessing he’s in there

I just need to take a turn or two sorting stirland

Had a battle where the orcs attacked helmgart and resolved it to save time and lost - went back and played it and lost 8 troops in a heroic victory

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #82 on: March 29, 2021, 03:16:36 AM
Nice.  :bigthumb:  Yeah, it seems like the auto-resolve screws you even more than normal when it comes to defending Helmgart, or any of the other pass fortifications you happen to own. 

Good luck with going after Toddy! 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #83 on: March 29, 2021, 09:12:15 AM
I must admit to using a legend of total war tactic with helmgart

I let them have the walls and come marching in column up that central slope - parked 5 crossbow men and the mortars in the central keep behind that unassailable wall and just shot them like fish in a barrel - it’s slaughter - don’t even know how I suffered 8 casualties as they never got past that wall

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #84 on: March 29, 2021, 04:19:54 PM
I don't think anyone can deny his tactics are effective.  ;) 

don’t even know how I suffered 8 casualties as they never got past that wall

I've long suspected there's a certain amount of inevitable casualties one suffers from friendly fire, even if it's only a handful. 

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #85 on: March 29, 2021, 05:15:11 PM
don’t even know how I suffered 8 casualties as they never got past that wall

I've long suspected there's a certain amount of inevitable casualties one suffers from friendly fire, even if it's only a handful.

You sure it's "friendly fire" and not "having a few too many pints and falling off the wall?"  ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #86 on: March 29, 2021, 06:36:29 PM
Unless there’s an ACD like revenge mechanism whereby if the officers not looking you just hoy your least favourite over the wall

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #87 on: March 29, 2021, 08:08:01 PM
Nearly 5 years after purchasing Stellaris (and over 2000 hours invested), I finally managed to play long enough to achieve one of the victory conditions.  :D 

The current galactic map:  I'm overlord of 4 other star nations, including 3 custom-created empires (that randomly spawned in). 

The starbase of Fort McKinley and Bubbles the space amoeba stand guard over my home system. 

My homeworld & capital planet. 

This is definitely not the end of the game, though:  I elected to continue playing, as there's still so many things yet that I want to do and/or see!  Those four protectorates/vassals need to be integrated into my empire, I need to launch more liberation wars against some of my neighbors to make them more "friendly" ( >:D ), a few Leviathans still need to be hunted down, I just got the Horizon Signal, and of course, I'd really like to deal with the end-game crisis (in whatever form it shows up in).  And those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head...  :) 

This is the most fun I've had with Stellaris in a very long time, and I intend to make the most of it.  If necessary, I'll even delay upgrading to 3.0 in order to finish this campaign (if it comes to that).  Now if you'll excuse me, the stars beckon.  8) 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:05:36 PM by Martok »

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #88 on: March 29, 2021, 08:19:28 PM
Very cool!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #89 on: March 30, 2021, 04:14:34 AM
Awesome - never done that