Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Elite spawns online indentured servitude  (Read 2754 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
on: February 15, 2021, 04:00:29 AM
As it says in the comments - I can’t decide whether I’m impressed that the game is open enough to allow it or that there are asshats who would do it

In short you’re duped into building a ship that has a tiny jump range, you’re ferried to a system that has the rarest most expensive jewels to mine and now can’t jump back out of it and the only way out is to sell your gems for a sixth of the price back to the people who took you there

Now groups are been formed to go rescue the players

https://www.polygon.com/features/2021/2/4/22264605/elite-dangerous-newbies-trapped-forced-labor

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 05:45:47 AM
It is indeed an interesting scenario...but I'm definitely leaning towards the asshats angle. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 09:05:18 AM
That's exactly why there's a Solo Play option.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 09:06:47 AM
That is the only way I have ever played it.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 04:31:08 PM
I feel the article is pretty disrespectful to people who have endured or are still enduring real physical isolation and servitude.

1) the ‘victims’ can just start over at any time. The argument made that they feel they can’t because they were given a ship they otherwise had no way of being able to own at the start is total BS.

2) the argument that the players were held hostage because they were ‘kept in the dark’ so to speak about their real options and in effect were used as slaves is completely uncalled for in this context.
At any point they could have gained knowledge about gameplay mechanics on their own. The net is full of guides.

At no point were these people slaves or held hostage.  Was the intention of the guild based on being social and helpful? No not at all. It was based on griefing and seeing how they could use people for their own gains.
That’s definitely being assholes to newbies. But nothing more.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 04:52:29 AM by Yskonyn »