Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: ACD welcomes Combative Commenters - are you ready to order?  (Read 13464 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant

Hefty, persuasive, and tactically absorbing Combat Mission Battle for Normandy deserves a ACD After Action Report. The trouble is, after many days of hedgerow holocaust, fraught forest probes and costly cottage clearing, I'm now in no fit state to shepherd Shermans or put plucky pixeltruppen in harm's way. Worn to a frazzle by delicate tactical decision-making and teeth-rattling mortar stonks, I've totally exhausted my capacity for command. There is a battle yarn waiting below the break, but to unspool it I'm going to need your help.

The Idea

For a change, you dispense the orders. Here, in outline, is how I envisage ACD's first ever co-op turn-based wargaming session working.

I'll select a bijou Combat Mission 'quick battle' map and populate that map with two small opposing forces. Battlefront's AI will be left to choreograph one side, while you, good Dragoons will, I hope, attempt to guide the other side to a famous victory. Every turn I'll describe the current tactical situation (utilizing pictures and a gridded map where necessary) and, via a comment, invite orders from anyone – prior CM experience unnecessary - willing to get involved.

As orders will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis and individual commenters are only allowed to 'move' one unit per turn, every turn will involve tactical input from multiple CCs (Comment Commanders). One turn Bob might send a Tiger trundling northward towards grid square C41, while Martok manoeuvres the halftrack and Brant does something sly with the Hetzer. During the next order round, Banzaicat could end-up in charge of the Tiger while SirSlash and Staggerwing do the honours with the tank destroyer and Sd.Kfz. 250.

Once the orders are in for all units, I'll execute them then return with a brief image-accompanied account of how the sixty seconds of in-game action played out. Did you manage to nail that Sherman loitering in the churchyard? Were you able to reverse your Panzer IV into the safety of that alley before those Hellcats pounced? It will all be revealed.

Sound good?

*apologies to Tim Stone for stealing his idea and most of his text for his first PBC game

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:57:38 PM
Awesome! Sign me up.  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 07:06:41 PM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:12:49 PM
Muwahahahahahahahaha  :rockon:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 07:40:55 PM
Great idea, I'm in!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 07:45:04 PM
I don't believe I've commanded Wehrmacht units before, so this should be an interesting experience.  ;) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 09:29:53 PM
Cry havoc and let slip the Armchair Doggies of War!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 06:27:08 AM
So..... to ease us in it’ll be a small map

You guys want just infantry small teams, mix of vehicles or just vehicles?

And you want Germans or Allies?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:21:31 AM
Mix. Don’t care which side.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 07:24:53 AM
I'm good with whatever makes it easier for you to coordinate the whole thing.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 07:29:54 AM
Trundling Tiger, you say?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 05:34:40 PM
I'm good with whatever makes it easier for you to coordinate the whole thing.

+1 to this.  I'm not picky.  8) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 06:04:44 PM
Right then.........

This is the venue - some small leafy acreage in Northern France, reports say theres an American convoy coming through here to secure the major crossroads

These are the victory point locations, if our troops are in the green and the Allies arent its a win for us, if were both in no-one gets the points, and well the Allies get the points if theyre in and we arent

This is our corner of the world, looking towards the American deployment zone

Sweeping look over the fields from the corner to our right/east - note the map is flat as a pancake so theres no terrain high ground to be fought for, but there are high  farm buildings to try and get a look at the enemy

This is the Americans looking back at our deployment zone - i dont know their force composition yet

and the all important 'tell undercover where you want to move the pixeltruppen to grid'

ill post our force composition tomorrow and their places on the grid ready for the first turn orders

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 06:11:32 PM
if you need numbers down the middle and to the left of that grid let me know - i cant find a program online so its all hand done - but i dont mind

and for the elders among us, looking at you Bob, were in the bottom left corner so tomorrow therell be a line similar to -

Panzershrek team 1 at Black D 73, then one of you tactically minded chaps will say

'move panzershrek team 1 at Black D 73 towards hedge at Black D 63' and so on until weve killed everyone and won the day!!

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 09:00:19 PM
Good stuff, looking forward to this!