Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Galactic Civilizations IV  (Read 24224 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #45 on: September 01, 2021, 11:12:39 PM
Dev Journal #8 is up.  Brad talks a bit about how Citizens work, especially Leaders, and "Commanders" (a new feature) in particular. 

https://www.galciv4.com/article/506674/

I really like this concept.  It's probably my favorite idea/feature other than the Core Worlds & Colonies. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #46 on: September 02, 2021, 11:28:40 AM
Dev Journal #8 is up.  Brad talks a bit about how Citizens work, especially Leaders, and "Commanders" (a new feature) in particular. 

https://www.galciv4.com/article/506674/

I really like this concept.  It's probably my favorite idea/feature other than the Core Worlds & Colonies.

Ohhhhh I like!!!

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #47 on: November 09, 2021, 09:03:34 PM
I listened to Stardock's transcript of their 2nd Community Q&A last night, which they did a couple weeks ago to mark (at least in part) GalCiv4 transitioning to beta.  The game's lead designer (and Stardock's VP) Derek Paxton did most of the answering, which was fun; I genuinely enjoy listening to him talk about games. 

Sounds like some interesting/good changes are still coming, including the ability to "queue up" colonies, battles taking place directly on the sector/galactic map, and a lot more.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what the end product looks like. 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:07:24 PM by Martok »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #48 on: December 04, 2021, 02:47:39 AM
Explorminate has taken another look at the game, now that the most recent update (v0.65) is out in the wild: 

Still looking good so far.  There are the usual bugs, and to me it seems the game could use a number of usability/QoL improvements, but overall progress appears to be going well. 

(Also:  Apparently the game is still in alpha and not beta after all.  Sounds like Brad made a last-minute decision to delay moving GC4 into beta status until next year for...reasons, I guess?  Granted, I'd much rather he do that than rush the game out the door too soon; it's just the decision feels rather abrupt.) 

Not for the first time -- and probably not the last -- I find myself thinking that 2022 can't get here soon enough.  I want to get my hands on this one! 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2021, 02:24:57 AM
Brad Wardell has started an AAR on the latest build of the alpha: 

https://www.galciv4.com/article/507256/

I always find it interesting to "watch" him play his games, especially since he's usually doing so with an eye towards finding things that should be fixed and/or improved.  He also tends to inject a bit of dry wit into his AAR's, which I also enjoy.  :hehe: 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2021, 02:31:31 AM
Definite read

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #51 on: March 10, 2022, 06:12:41 PM
Dev Journal #16 looks at the Battle Viewer, which was just added to the beta: 

https://www.galciv4.com/article/510682/

As usual, Brad defends his decision to not have tactical combat in the GalCiv.  Also as usual, his arguments for (not) doing so -- while logical on the face of things -- still feel spurious.  Technically, a lot of games don't have "tactical" combat, yet still manage to have battles that feel engaging and/or meaningful. 

Also, the game has officially moved to Beta 2: 

In addition to the Battle Viewer, multiplayer is now available, and the game has had a bunch of new content added. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #52 on: March 10, 2022, 06:43:27 PM
Huh. I wonder if multiplayer will include a hotseat mode.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #53 on: March 10, 2022, 06:50:05 PM
Good question.  That would be nice. 

I also wonder if they're going to add just a plain "sandbox" mode for MP.  I hope so, as I'm not exactly thrilled about the MP modes currently on offer. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #54 on: March 24, 2022, 12:32:54 PM
I also wonder if they're going to add just a plain "sandbox" mode for MP.  I hope so, as I'm not exactly thrilled about the MP modes currently on offer.

Looks like I'm getting my wish.  Derek's patch notes for the (as-yet unreleased) beta version 0.9 include sandbox mode being added to MP: 

https://www.galciv4.com/article/511110/galactic-civilizations-iv-09-update

It looks like the Civilization Creator is at last being added as well. 

Now if they would/could just do something about the useless Battle Viewer.  It appears that -- once again -- combat will be one of the areas where the franchise continues to fall flat.  :( 

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #55 on: March 28, 2022, 05:25:21 PM
I agree. I’ve tried to make the case on their forums as well; why have such a detailed ship designer to then make your intricate designs reduce to simple rock, paper, scissors in actual gameplay?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #56 on: March 28, 2022, 07:38:36 PM
^  Precisely.  That's always been a baffling design decision to me. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #57 on: March 29, 2022, 04:18:16 AM
I agree. I’ve tried to make the case on their forums as well; why have such a detailed ship designer to then make your intricate designs reduce to simple rock, paper, scissors in actual gameplay?
Yeah. Imho, he should just go with the standard ship set like in GalCiv 1. The ship designer is the main reason why i barely play GalCiv 2 and 3.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #58 on: March 31, 2022, 11:42:46 PM
Game has officially entered Beta 3: 

https://www.galciv4.com/article/511120//

In addition to the stuff mentioned in last week's patch notes, the Torians and Manti are now playable, and the Leader events/quests look pretty cool.  I find it interesting that in the trailer, it's noted that MP sandbox mode was a highly-requested feature; I'm curious if that's as opposed to other MP modes, or not bothering with MP at all(?). 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #59 on: April 01, 2022, 12:03:17 AM
In addition, we finally got a bit of clarification on when -- or even whether -- the game is coming to Steam.  Brad had this bit to say on the matter in Discord a few days ago: 

It'll eventually be on Steam probably.  But more like 2023. 

It's not exactly a huge (or hugely surprising) revelation, but it does at least confirm a couple things I've long suspected: 

1.)  GalCiv4 will be an Epic exclusive upon release. 
2.)  It will remain so for at least a year after it comes out. 

I have to admit, I've realized I'm fine with this.  I have no shortage of games to keep me occupied in the meantime, especially with Stellaris and Distant Worlds 2 already feeding my space 4x addiction.  And by the time GC4 comes to Steam (presuming it actually does), it will have received numerous patches & updates to make the game that much better by the time I get my hands on it. 

My only real concern at this point, is that Stardock eventually reaches the point where it decides that the money it gets from Epic is good enough to be worth forgoing selling their games on Steam, in which case I'll never get to play any of their games in the future.  But for the time being, there's not much I can do except worry about that further on down the road. 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 12:14:02 AM by Martok »