Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The guy with the not so fancy hat – exactly, Ranger!  (Read 2955 times)

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Hi folks, I got hold of a copy of the 1984 original edition edit: it's the 1988 version of RANGER by Omega Games plus the Sierra and Victor Expansion Kit.

From what I am seeing on the mission cards, PRL and on BGG I am having a few questions some of you who own the 2nd Edition from 2008 might be able to answer:

– In the 2008 version there seems to be the role of an automatic rifleman (AR) with an LMG added into the squads. Which stats does the M249 have (range)? There's also no more Ammo Bearer in the MG-teams. There is also no more need for the Dragon Launcher, is it? I'll redesign my PRL in excel according to the newer version. A parachute has been added, right?

– The Expansion Kit's missions and the 2008 version base game mission cards state the time when the mission is issued to PL, which the old mission cards don't have (the new cards also have coordinates rather than the original's relative positions). Does the time between receiving the order and insertion have an impact on how many rehearsals you can make, and is transport time somehow considered?

– Any chance I can get the times and coordinates for my base game missions from you?

– Has anyone made a reworked version of all the AO maps combined? The dark green maps are not well suited for tracking, especially not with a black China Marker or dry erase marker. I have ordered colored chalk markers (white, red, blue, green and so on), but I might just want to play it on my tablet, thus a PDF or PNG of the maps would be great. I have seen people using random military maps for the missions, but I am wondering how well that actually works.

– Is artillery or CAS also new? I saw a map with range indicator from the 2nd edition.

– The Rehearsal Areas have changed, too. Now that I don't have the 2nd Edition TEB, that doesn't matter, I guess.

– Anything else that changed and which I should be aware of?

Cheers,
Jan
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 06:28:00 PM by LetsPlayHistory »

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 10:40:56 AM
I'll be experimenting with a mixture of versions and real world maps on stream on Thursday 18:00 CET. Let's see how it works. Don't shy away if I'll be talking in German at the point you join in, just let me know in the chat, English is no problem. I'll switch to "Denglisch" (that's how a mixture of German and English is called in Germany. Is there an equivalent in English, like Genglish or so? ;D)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:18:13 AM
I'll be experimenting with a mixture of versions and real world maps on stream on Thursday 18:00 CET. Let's see how it works. Don't shy away if I'll be talking in German at the point you join in, just let me know in the chat, English is no problem. I'll switch to "Denglisch" (that's how a mixture of German and English is called in Germany. Is there an equivalent in English, like Genglish or so? ;D)

We used to call it "Germanican"

The guys in the tower knew something was wrong if they could hear me cussing in German over the intercom while we were firing tank gunnery.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:22:08 AM
I had a copy of Ranger for a very long time, but never played it. It just didn't do it for me and as I remember one guy said on FB about it, it was basically a map exercise simulation. Of course that's just one opinion but it struck me as particularly true.

Had no idea there were expansions for it; that's interesting.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 06:23:53 PM
There seem to be four editions of the game.

First edition from 1984, very basic paper stuff.
The second (or revised first) edition from 1988, now with laminated self drawn map and Patrol Log.
A third edition, from 1994 (I think), with some revisions.
And the real deal, the fourth edition from 2009, new artwork, new mission cards, new event book and so on.
Plus two expansions AO Sierra and AO Victor which come with new mission types and expand the map. They were sold independently, as a pack, and later on included in the fourth edition.

Someone has now helped me out and sent me pictures of the 2009 mission cards for AO Yankee. In case using real maps doesn't work out well, I can use the digital and reworked version of AO Yankee someone provided on BGG.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:27:26 AM by LetsPlayHistory »

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 06:26:31 PM
I am thinking about joining the hazard of ordering the new version of the game from Omega. But the shipping and customs would more than double the prize for me...