Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: ZEPHON, a Post-Apocalyptic 4X  (Read 9675 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: June 03, 2021, 02:59:09 AM
Whoot!  Proxy Studios is working on a new game.  :D 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481170/ZEPHON/

From the creators of Warhammer 40,000: Gladius, ZEPHON is a post-apocalyptic 4X strategy game built on Proxy’s unique tactical combat system. Guide survivors through a grimdark future, navigating unexpected disasters, eldritch horror and cyberpunk monstrosities. What will you do to survive?

Humanity emerges, hesitantly, into ruination. Almost nothing is left of the world as we knew it—settlements, forests, seas, mountains—all have been blasted into unfamiliarity. Horribly mutated animals hunt in packs through deformed woodland. Decrepit military robots stumble unknowingly through the ruins, sensors and logic centres blown. Alien soldiers, once impossibly powerful, cower in the wrecks of their ships, praying to heedless gods for rescue.

On the planet Earth, that was once a cradle of life, the extinction of humanity is at hand.

What will you do to survive?

These are the same folks behind both the underrated Pandora: First Contact and most excellent Warhammer 40k: Gladius - Relics of War, two 4x games I rate quite highly.  I'm normally not a fan of grimdark/post-apocalyptic settings, but given Proxy Studios' record so far, I'm more than willing to give this one a chance. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 08:00:10 AM
The thing I don't like about the games from the folks behind Pandora: First Contact and Warhammer 40k: Gladius - Relics of War is that there is no diplomacy. They are just slugfests. I get that Warhammer really doesn't need it- I think that's why it was an easy game for them to make, but Pandora does need it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:29:48 AM by bbmike »

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 08:23:46 AM
Yeah, the diplomacy in Pandora is way too erratic for me but i still like the game.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:34:35 AM
I agree diplomacy in Pandora wasn't great.  It wasn't bad for their first game, however. 

In addition, ZEPHON's description specifically mentions diplomacy as being part of the game.  I'm not particularly worried about that aspect. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 07:59:23 AM
That's okay, Martok. I'll worry enough for the both of us.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 04:39:22 PM
 :hehe:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 11:54:46 PM
Proxy Studios did a community AMA, answering questions regarding both Gladius and ZEPHON. 

Due to technical issues, the video is a bit hard to listen to at times.  Fortunately, a helpful Redditor named Steelpoint was kind enough to post some of the highlights: 

*  When can we expect Alpha/Beta access for Zephon?

Not anytime soon. Want to ensure the game is in a good place before opening it up to the public, to avoid souring people's opinions on the game.

*  Will Zephons diplomacy system attempt to be unique compared to standard 4x diplo?

It is more narrative and immersion focused, but also has more conventional aspects such as alliances or trading. Game uses 'influence' resources that allow you to push your own agendas. The diplomacy system is oriented so that all the factions are on edge and highly cautious, and that successfully allying with a faction will be difficult but should be something the player feels proud of if they accomplish it

*  Will there be plans for future DLC for Gladius 1?

Cannot reveal or promise anything (do state there's another DLC releasing soon), motivation to do more content. Three big 'concepts' they have for the game.

*  Will game feature an overarching game mode, such as a campaign or global strategic map?

Focus is on the main game world, majority of the game should take place in a single "scene". There is an event/quest system which abstracts disasters or global events. Objective of the game is to immerse the player into the world, instead of feeling like a 'god looking down'

*  For Gladius 1, do you think there are major balance issues that need/should be addressed?

Devs think the game is decently balanced as it is. Aware there are some balance and meta issues. Some new changes incoming with a patch soon, includes new content.

*  How did your vision for Gladius change from when it started to the final product? We were pretty close to our vision.

We did initially wanted the Imperium to be a single faction that splits up later on. Our goal was to have eight major factions, which we did reach eventually. Not quite happy with the way the quests turned out.

*  Will Zephon have a strong PvP aspect to it?

We want to give players the option to change the game to better suit their interests, so PvP oriented players have the option to disable functions like diplomacy or events

Factions will have very broad tech trees, unlike Gladius. Giving players a lot of options to chose how to develop their technology. You could focus more on cybernetics, or decide to focus on mystical monster technology, or classical human focus. Each have their own unique tiers, units and resources and buildings.

*  Biggest design flaw in Gladius?

Early game decisions (such as where to establish first cities or even the faction you select) have a major effect on later game faction viability.

Devs want to reorient Zephon where you don't have as much critical decisions early on, where you start with a very general layout for your faction that can be branched out by the player later on, example if you find yourself surrounded by a strong enemy in one area, you can turn your faction around to counter that strength.

Wanted to find a way to have diplomacy between the Imperial factions if it could have been balanced. Quest mechanics could have been more intricate. Devs find the game openings to be very limited with few options. Translation of the board game rules to video game space could not be done perfectly, such as flying units not seeming like flying units at times as one example.

*  What are you looking to do with your factions to make them interesting?

Faction diversity is a major deal for the devs. Aim is for a middle ground between Gladius and Civilization. You choose your leader, and each leader have unique mechanics and technologies that change the way that faction is played (not a case of a leader getting different percent points in certain traits). Late game there are important quest decisions that directs how your faction adapt to the planet (devs reference Alpha Centauri with how faction leaders react to each other based on their social traits).

Devs mention they want the game to make it clear why an enemy faction has declared war on you (other faction bribed me to attack you/you are to strong/I want your resources/etc)

Some quest options will be unique to the leader you are playing.

When the game starts, all the factions start with a similar appearance and playstyle aside from the differences the leaders provide, but will branch off into different paths as they advance in the game.

*  How different will each faction play, on a scale between Endless Legends and Civilization, where does Zephon sit?

Devs reiterate how the factions will start and all play the same early on, but will diversify later on. Will likely aim for somewhere in the middle between Civ and Endless.

*  What are your thoughts on powercreep in Gladius? With base game factions seemingly being weaker than DLC factions for Gladius?

Devs state that DLC factions had a lot more development time than the base factions, and with the experience in making other factions. Devs state its difficult to revist old factions (devs not quite happy with where the Orks are currently). Tried to fix this somewhat with unit packs. Simply no real easy way to do this without a major rework.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 02:15:33 PM
The Explorminate guys just posted an interview with the entire Proxy team and discuss their new game, ZEPHON.  For all that I'm generally not a fan of post-apocalyptic settings, this is genuinely sounding pretty damn interesting. 

(YT version, for those who prefers that): 

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 07:55:26 PM
Apocalyptic AND 4X ?  Hell yes!!!

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 08:26:21 PM
Steelie thinks of it as "training"

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 11:10:30 PM
And that's a bad thing?   :bigthumb:

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 06:31:01 AM
Steelie thinks of it as "training"

Gotta stay in shape somehow...!  :D 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 08:13:59 AM
How does diplomacy work?
We are...like...a combat focus game...

:-\  :(

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 09:40:18 AM
Have you guys looked at Surviving the Aftermath.  It's not was extensive, at least at this point as it's still an early adopter release, but is enjoyable. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 03:05:30 PM
I have it but haven't played it much. It has my interest but I'm waiting for them to finish the game.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 03:08:37 PM by Steelgrave »